What to do with precooked shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best omelet I ever had: shrimp, scallops, crab, haddock and shark, covered with hollandaise.

Interesting! I've never put seafood in quiche. Is that usually a good combo--seafood and eggs/cheese? I generally avoid that. I love seafood though! Could eat it every day!
Shrimps, prawns and all sorts of seafood in quiche are delish. The seafood, eggs and cheese really go together.

EDIT: sorry, just realised - Prawns are shrimp where you are. We distinguish between prawns and their smaller relative because we get delicious little brown Morecambe Bay shrimps potted in spiced butter or just the plain freshly boiled shrimps in a bag to eat as you walk along the Promanade. Yummy!

Last edited:
Scampi

I use the precooked shrimp in cold dishes/salads,etc. hubby likes them in a basic pasta salad, as he hates tuna salad. Otherwise I buy frozen raw shrimp. In the Midwest, even the prawns at expensive groceries tend to have been frozen. Once in a while, if I drive 80 miles to a high end store, I can find Gulf shrimp. Yum! I made one heck of a Scampi the other night. Lots and lots and lots of fresh sliced garlic. Cats didn't pester us, as they don't care for much garlic.

Ever since I saw this post, I've been thinking about scampi! I've been on a diet for engagement photos that are tomorrow. After that, I need a food splurge! What's your recipe, or anyone have a scampi recipe they love? I'm pretty lazy with scampi, just garlic and butter in a pan, a little salt if it's unsalted butter, dash of cayenne sometimes for zip. I'd love to make it a little more interesting.

I don't have a recipe. For Scampi I just melt butter with olive oil, throw in 10 sliced cloves of garlic, a bunch of chopped fresh parsley. When oil mix is hot I toss in a few pounds of peeled raw shrimp and sauté til turning pink. Shut off heat as they turn so as not to overcook. Season with s&p to taste. I serve with a wold rice pilaf and fresh steamed green beans. Yum. Adjust garlic etc to taste. Frankly, one can never have too much garlic!

Shrimps, prawns and all sorts of seafood in quiche are delish. The seafood, eggs and cheese really go together.

EDIT: sorry, just realised - Prawns are shrimp where you are. We distinguish between prawns and their smaller relative because we get delicious little brown Morecambe Bay shrimps potted in spiced butter or just the plain freshly boiled shrimps in a bag to eat as you walk along the Promanade. Yummy!
On this side of the pond the term prawn is usually used for very large shrimp.

There also seems to be some confusion over here about shrimp vs scampi. In Quebec scampi are always these:

scampi.gif

And shrimp are these:

Z
shrimp2.jpg

I've never heard of "shrimp scampi" in Quebec.

In my neck of the woods, scampi is the way the shrimp are prepared...a sauce with butter, garlic wine etc. I have heard of prawns but never knew what they were, didn't know they were basically the same as shrimp.

Shrimp scampi is what's said here too. Not sure what else one would "scampi". I suppose fish strips or crayfish? The first time I heard of the term "prawns" was when I was in London on a college trip with fellow Americans, eons ago. I hear it occasionally here, but I figure it refers to large shrimp.

So, if I am ordering it in the US, I should ask for langoustine. Langoustine is the French word and scampi is the Italian word for a kind of little lobster, not a shrimp.

Shrimp scampi is what's said here too. Not sure what else one would "scampi". I suppose fish strips or crayfish? The first time I heard of the term "prawns" was when I was in London on a college trip with fellow Americans, eons ago. I hear it occasionally here, but I figure it refers to large shrimp.

I looked online and I didn't see any other recipes for scampi except shrimp scampi. It is such an easy quick way to serve shrimp.

I don't have a recipe. For Scampi I just melt butter with olive oil, throw in 10 sliced cloves of garlic, a bunch of chopped fresh parsley. When oil mix is hot I toss in a few pounds of peeled raw shrimp and sauté til turning pink. Shut off heat as they turn so as not to overcook. Season with s&p to taste. I serve with a wold rice pilaf and fresh steamed green beans. Yum. Adjust garlic etc to taste. Frankly, one can never have too much garlic!

Needs lemon juice.

After. Serve it with some lemon wedges.

Actually I have a secret ingredient, lime juice, which I often add to foods without telling my guests. Things you wouldn't think to use citrus on. Shhhhhh!!! ;)

But citrus with shrimp is a common combination.

Back
Top Bottom