"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 02-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Creative and yummy sounding, I love the way you think ... there is, in fact, a frozen food service product that is just that, stuffed flounder. I used to serve alot of it in a local supper club I worked at. Being homemade, I'm sure yours was better, but we steamed it and served with drawn butter. I always thought a drizzle of bearnaise would have been nice with it and had a couple of regulars who would order it that way from time to time.

I don't see much flounder in our offerings around here. Mostly salmond, cod, lake perch ... and tilapia has really gone mainstream. We used to serve that as a high-end special years ago and now it's 2nd only to pollack in affordability at the grocery store!

One of my favorite things to do with any mild white fish is to spread a thin layer of dijon mustard (or mayo if you aren't a mustard fan) and top with crushed crackers and a drizzle of butter. Bake in a hot oven just until it flakes ... simple and even kids like it!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #12
Master Chef

One of the things that made the dish extra good, I think, was that the dressing on top gets a little crunchy from the taking the lid off for the last few minutes of cooking.
The Bearnaise sauce sounds good...I may try it that way sometime.

Your method of cooking the fish with cracker crumb and butter sounds good, quick and easy. I'll have to try that.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Miss Connie if ya got any more of those little devils....Soak them in buttermilk for a couple of hours...pick each piece up and let it drain for just a second... bread in corn meal/flour/salt/pepper mixture...drop them in hot peanut oil...Walk over to the sink and wash your hands..dry them off...have a sip of beer...... have another sip of beer...Now quickly take them up on paper towels....Tell Kim to "get back"
I just bought some flounder today, this recipe sounds good.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Hi Constance,

Here is a recipe which uses fillets of sole but possibly you could use small thin fillets of other fish.

Ingredients.
4 fillets of sole
salt, pepper and lemon juice
4 sticks or strips of potato cut as for chips, 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick

beaten egg and dried breadcumbs (best to be homemade) for coating

Filling - hollandaise sauce

For serving - 4 thin slices of lemon and deep fried, curly parsley. The parsley needs to be wash and dried very, very thoroughly.

Deep fat fryer at 360F

Method
1. Wash and dry fillets if necessary. Place the fillets on a board, skin side up. Season with salt, pepper and a little lemon juice.
2. Place 1 potato stick at the head end of the fillet. Carefully roll the fillet, from the head end to the tail around the piece of potato. Repeat with the remaining fillets.
3. Turn the fillets so that they are standing up and make sure that they will stand up alone. This usually means holding the fillet in the left hand and adjusting the level of the potato with the right hand so that the fillets will stand alone.
4. Carefully dip the fillets in egg and breadcrumbs - you could do this twice to ensure even covering. You could prepare ahead to this point and refrigerate.
5. Carefully place the fillets in a frying basket, making sure that they are standing upright, gently lower into the fat and deep fry until golden brown.
6. Remove from the fat, drain, remove the potato stick.
7. Have ready 4 warmed plates and put a slice of lemon in the centre of each.
8. Place each fillet on a slice of lemon and fill the centre (the space left by removing the potato stick) with hollandise sauce. Spoon a little extra around the fish.
8. Garnish with deep fried curly leaf parsley and serve.

To make deep fried parsley, the parsley must be washed and dried very thoroughly. Place in the deep fat fryer and remove when it comes to the top of the oil. Drain on kitchen paper.

Regards.
Archiduc
Old 02-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #15
Master Chef

That sounds awesome, Archiduc!
Old 03-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Last year, at the club I work at, we tried a stuffed tilapia recipe. I was originally planning on doing something similar to what you had done, but the Chef wanted us to use a shrimp mousse for the stuffing, and he wanted to make the single fish fillet into a "cone" shape. He told us that he used to do it years ago, by making a mold out of foil, wrapping the fish fillet into a cone shape, and inserting it into the mold (the foil held the fish in place), then poaching the fish so it would hold it's shape. Once the fish cooked, take it out, stuff it, and hold it cold until we got an order in, then bake it for a bit to heat it up, and finish in the salamander (kitchen term for a broiler) to brown the top. We sauced it with a shrimp/shallot/cream sauce.

Now I'm getting ideas. My other half bought some tilapia fillet, and they're in the freezer, just starting to call my name.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #17
Master Chef

archiduc, that sound so good, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I would have likely just done a meuniere or some approximation thereof. I do it all the time with frozen tilapia and it tastes about ten times more expensive than it is to make.

Of course, it also has outrageous quantities of butter in it, so I should probably prepare and eat it less often, lol.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #19
Master Chef

You you mind sharing your recipe for fish meuniere? I'm trying to watch my weight, but I allow myself an occasional splurge.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #20
Senior Cook

I probably oversimplify it, but it's a really easy recipe.

First, I like to have clarified butter on hand at all times, so go ahead and clarify some if you don't already have it. It's got a higher smoke point and I use it for a lot of my sauteeing.

(I'm going to leave measuring out entirely, just use what you need, I don't know how much you're making).

Prep:

Make sure fillets are absolutely dry and then season with s&p, then dredge in flour lightly.

Get some capers and rinse/drain them. Use as many as you want to eat. I love capers so I use a ton of them.

Add butter to pan and melt over low heat. Raise the flame a little and heat until butter becomes light brown, swirling occasionally. Be careful not to pass the smoke point. When the butter stops foaming, add your fish. Cook briefly on each side until golden.

At this point, I like to tilt the pan and *rapidly* spoon melted butter over the fish, further coloring it and making it even more deliciously unhealthy. I learned this from an instructional video with Barton Seaver cooking rockfish.

I will now squirt in a fair quantity of fresh lemon juice as well as add my capers. You really don't want to cook the capers for a long time, a minute or so in the pan is more than enough.

In the timing of all this, it's important that you don't overcook your fish.

Remove fish and allow to drain. I like to remove the capers seperately, then whisk the butter around a little bit and pour some on top of each piece of fish, then topping with capers. Throw on some chiffonaded parsely if you've got any.

If you want an additional neato garnish, you can add thin lemon slices to the pan just before adding the fish. Let them caramelize a little bit in the butter and then move them aside, still in the pan, to cook the fillets. This may still require an additional infusion of lemon juice, but do it to taste.

Tags
None