What to Use Smoked Mackerel in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
DH and guys went fishing and caught snapper, grouper and mackerel. They smoked the mackerel and I wanted something different to do with it. I'm tired of fish salad. Any ideas?

DH and guys went fishing and caught snapper, grouper and mackerel. They smoked the mackerel and I wanted something different to do with it. I'm tired of fish salad. Any ideas?

When you say fish salad, are you talking about something like smoked fish dip/spread? Wonder if you could substitute the smoked mackerel for smoked salmon in a savory cheese cake.

What coast are you on/near? I'm south east coast.

Last edited:
I've only made sweet chesecake before but I'm game. I have some American "neufchatel cheese". Can it be a sub for cream cheese? I live in northwest Florida near Pensacola so the mackerel came from the Gulf of Mexico. It might be a little different from the type you get down there.

I reckon you could use it in a soup or chowder. I have done that with all manner of fish. It might work well in a gumbo as well.
A somewhat less sophisticated, but tasty (IMHO) way to use some of it might be lightly fried fish cakes.

When you say fish salad, are you talking about something like smoked fish dip/spread? Wonder if you could substitute the smoked mackerel for smoked salmon in a savory cheese cake.

What coast are you on/near? I'm south east coast.
i reckon it would work in that quiche you made craig.leave out the mushrooms & substitute with mackerel.
i make a smoked mackerel potato dauphinoise....mackerel,cream,garlic,cheese,soft potatoes....pure comfort!

A thick slice of really dark and healthy home made bread with butter and smoked mackerel is really good.

I also bet it would be real tasty to throw it in a pan with cream, white wine, herbs, cherry tomatoes and green onions too. Potatoes on the side.

I love smoked mackerel. I have, on occasion, managed to get it onto a sandwich. Usually I just start nibbling and the next thing I know it's gone. :pig: :LOL:

Add some lemon juice, salt and pepper in to smoked mackerel. Then have it with toasted bread or bun. It gives a new taste and delicious.

I love to smoke fish check out kedgeree and adapt
img_1165669_0_7325137a1585c2aedde6714341ae6cdc.jpg

how about lob scaus, or north sea leftovers hash,. like corned beef hash but with fish. it could be made with just fish, potatoes, and onions, or a mix of leftover meats and fish, and the potatoes and onions.

with a fried egg on top, it's a delicious norwegian/northern german breakfast made with leftovers .

my mom used to make it with leftover meat (pot roast, corned beef, etc.), then serve it with the egg on top and smoked herring on the side. lots if different ways to go with this one.

Last edited:
Baked Potato Stuffed With Smoked Caballa = Mackeral

Boun Giorno,

Here is a lovely take on Smoked Mackeral ... This dish is Greek by Origin.

STUFFED POTATO WITH SMOKED MACKERAL & HERBS

1 baking potato per person ( bake in foil in oven until tender )
150 grams or 5 oz. of diced fine smoked mackeral
1/3 bunch fresh chive finely snipped
1/2 bunch fresh tarragon herb finely minced
1 2/3 oz. or 50 grams of fresh sour Greek Yogurt, with out sugar
30 ml. or 1 oz. Evoo Greek or Italian or Spanish Mediterranean
white pepper freshly ground

1. using a melon ball cutter, scoop out the potato flesh leaving the shell about 1/4 inch thick
2. mash the potato with a fork, and add the smoked mackeral, tarragon, chive, Evoo and yogurt and season with pepper and be cautious with salt as smoked fish is already quite salty
3. fill each potato with the mixture and serve with Pita, and a glass of white Sparkling wine or a cold beer.

ENJOY,
CIAO,
Margaux.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom