"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 07-21-2004, 10:33 AM   #11
Executive Chef
We eat this all the time and it is great.

Pecan Crusted Tilapia

Serves: 4

1/2 c. dry breadcrumbs

2 tbsp finely chopped pecans

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp black pepper

1/2 c low-fat buttermilk

1/2 tsp hot sauce

3 tbsp all-purpose flour

4 (6-ounce) tilaipa or snapper fillets

1 tbsp vegetable oil

4 lemon wedges

Combine first 5 ingredients in a shallow dish. Combine buttermilk and hot sauce in a medium bowl; place flour in a shallow dish. Dredge 1 fillet in flour. Dip in buttermilk mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining fillets, flour, buttermilk mixture, and breadcrumb mixture.

Heat 1 1/2 tsp of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 fillets; cook 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and fillets. Serve with lemon wedges.

Calories: 302, Fat 9.1g. Protein 38.4g, Carbohydrates 14.2g, Fiber 0.9g, Cholesterol 64mg, Iron 1.3mg, Sodium 530mg, Calcium 98mg

Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:42 AM   #12
Executive Chef
Pecan Crusted Trout
4 servings

2 rainbow trout, butterflied
1/3 cup pecan pieces
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lemon
3 tablespoons dry white wine

1. Trim and discard heads and tails from trout. Cut trout in half lengthwise down the center to make 4 fillets. Cut lemon in half lengthwise and trim ends, then cut crosswise into 1/8-inch thick slices.
2. Combine pecans, flour, salt and pepper in a shallow pan or plate. Dredge fillets in flour mixture and press pecan pieces into skinless sides of fish. Shake gently to remove excess.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon each butter and oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Place 2 fillets in skillet, skinless side down; pan fry 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and tent loosely with foil to keep warm. Add another 1 tablespoon each butter and oil to skillet; pan fry remaining 2 fillets and remove from skillet.
4. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet; add wine and lemon slices. Scrape and stir in any loose bits from bottom of skillet. Reduce heat to medium and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour sauce with lemon slices over fillets. Serve immediately.

Nutrition Facts: 321 calories 22g total fat 73mg cholesterol; 526mg sodium; 9g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 21g protein

Serve Pecan-Crusted Trout with Long Grain & Wild Rice Pilaf and Steamed Yellow Squash.

Old 08-13-2004, 09:02 PM   #13
Executive Chef
I agree with the Tilapia suggestion but you can get Catfish cheap too. I buy the fresh "nuggets". Just get your fish from a reliable fish monger and smell the fish. If it smells "fishy" its no good. Dip in seasoned corn meal and fry in oil. My Harlot Wife just seasons them with Lemon Pepper and fries them in butter. No breading. Pretty good.
You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:31 AM   #14
Senior Cook
Cripes, I can't believe I missed this thread. :(

Whiting. Good stuff, cheap if you buy it in a bag, frozen. Very mild, light, inoffensive flavor, responds well to simple seasonings.

Personally, I think I'm gonna start fishing weekly when the weather's good. Anyone know a good recipe for largemouth bass? :)
"It's not a bald spot, it's a solar panel for my electric personality."
-Red Green
LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:02 PM   #15
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Nope.... I only have a great recipe for a small mouth bass. :roll:
-DEADLY SUSHI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:01 PM   #16
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
Nope.... I only have a great recipe for a small mouth bass. :roll:
Uh, that works too. :)
"It's not a bald spot, it's a solar panel for my electric personality."
-Red Green
LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:18 AM   #17
Senior Cook
If this man has all these preconceptions about fish, you'll never change him. But if you want to try:

Set up a friend to serve something like a summer green salad with a strong dressing and lots of really good CANNED Tuna in it.

Try a fettuccine with an Alfrado Sauce with a good smoked salmon in it- NOT Heavy.

Take him in a situation where he can't bow out, to a place or person who knows how to properly sear a loin of Tuna, and serv it with something like a wasabi / sesame dip.

If the clod wants to remain ignorant after that, buy him some Oscar Meyer wieners and eat without him.

Slimmy, I wonder if he has ever had over cooked Okra...

good luck
May you eat well,
Robt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 06:48 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer
I would stick with the white flaky fishes that others have mentioned like tilapia, haddock, cod, etc. These types of fish have a mild flavor that go very well with butter, garlic, lemon, parsley, and lots of other great flavors.

I like salmon, but for people who do not like the fishy smell, taste etc. salmon would not be one they would want to start with. It is a very oily fish and therefore has a stronger smell/taste than something like tilapia.

As far as fish that is inexpensive, well that can and does change from week to week. Just about any white flaky fish can be used interchangeably. Go to the store see what the prices are. If haddock is $2 more than cod then go for the cod.

I used to be very intimidated to cook fish, but one day I just jumped right in and tried. It was just as easy (actually easier) than cooking a meat dish. Give it a shot. You will not be sorry :)
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 02:13 PM   #19
Executive Chef
Re: what's a cheap....

Originally Posted by tancowgirl2000
I'd like to start eating more fish. Thing is is that Dh will NOT eat it. Hell I don't even know if he'll let me cook it in the house. But I want to start getting heathier, and what better way than with fish. So other thatn going out and catching my own...I do like fishing, I just don't wnat to do it all the time....what's a good cheap fish to buy at the store?
I've got the same problem with my husband, he cant stand fish, so when I make fish, I make him pork chops rather than argue about it
It's best to just buy whatever is on sale. I dont like any previously frozen fish cause it tastes fishy and watery. My favorites are salmon, haddock, cod, sole, flounder. I also love shrimp, sea scallops, lobster, crab. If your daring, you might want to try squid (calamari), you slice them into rings, dip them in tempura or fish batter, fry them in oil til golden, and eat with a marinara dipping sauce mmmmm so good.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 03:02 PM   #20
Executive Chef
Tilapia Fillets with Mustard-Pecan Topping

Delicious tilapia is enhanced with a tasty Dijon topping, made with mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and chopped pecans.

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup brown mustard, such as French's Bold 'n Spicy
1 pound tilapia fillets, if frozen, thaw
1/4 cup chopped pecans, finely chopped

Lightly butter a large, shallow baking pan, such as a jelly roll pan. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, and mustard.
Using paper towels, pat fish lightly to dry. Arrange fish fillets in prepared baking dish.
Spread mayonnaise mixture over each fillet. Sprinkle each fillet with chopped pecans; press down gently.
Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Use 2 to 3 fillets per person, or 4 to 6 ounces. Serve with broccoli and tomato slices. Tilapia recipe makes 4 servings.