what's a cheap....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tancowgirl2000

Head Chef
I'd like to start eating more fish. Thing is is that Dh will NOT eat it. Hell I don't even know if he'll let me cook it in the house. But I want to start getting heathier, and what better way than with fish. So other thatn going out and catching my own...I do like fishing, I just don't wnat to do it all the time....what's a good cheap fish to buy at the store?

I'd suggest just getting whatever is on sale. If it is cheap all the time, it won't be for long once everybody starts buying it.

Or so far that is what has happened with all the fish we have starting buying.

k then what about flavor wise....I dont want something thats going to taste like dirt....any suggestions?

Tilapia is a good fish that is fairly cheap and has great taste. Its farmed raised and is raised in refurbished dairy farms sometimes. It used to be called St. Peters fish, and it is thought it is the same biblical fish in the story of feeding the masses on the hill.

Stay away from Polluck though, or whiting. They are tastless sawdust for the most part.

Tilapia is good. We also like grouper, flounder, perch, salmon.

Why doesn't your husband like fish?

swordfish or marlin is usually pretty affordable as well, and it doesn't have a strong fishy smell or flavor. you can pretty much pair swordfish with almost any type of sauce, and it will stand up to it.

the best thing is to tell the fishmonger what price range you're looking at, and ask him what's the freshest and best quality fish available that he has in your price range.

Tanis...sole is cheap these days and cod is always good. My kids will eat it if I brush garlic butter on the filets while they are still frozen (it hardens up immediately) and then toss em in the oven to bake. Butter gets a chance to soak in that way. Mmmmmmmmm.

Another good way is to mix equal parts of parmesan and bread crumbs. Sprinkle liberally on your filets, and then drizzle olive oil over it to set the coating...delish!

Let me know if hubby will eat either of those, my kids are PICKY eaters but I can get em to eat this stuff. Good Luck.

I got a good deal on tuna steaks recently. All I did was coat them with a little liquid smoke and bake them. They turned out great! They were almost like eating a beef steak. Not a real fishy flavor.

:) Barbara

OMG!!!! HIM EAT FISH!! You got to be kidding! He hates the smell, , the looks, ,everything about them....they are slimy hea says! Maybe if it was just cooked right he'd be good with it. He wont even eat SMOKED fish and that aint anywhere NEAR slimy! Same with mushrooms...their slimy he says.....men!

I thought cod had a different taste.....wonder if the garlic will do any justice to my taste buds. I will have a look this weekend while I am shopping. He'll protest at me buying it but whatever....

Hey, once its cooked is there anyway to preserve it for a quick snack like on crackers or something? Does any of you have a recipe for this?

Thanks to ALL of you for answering my plea!!!

Well it's not slimy or smells after it is cooked.

We grill it, stuff it, broil it, fry it....all good.

He needs to try it, it may surprise him.

We eat this all the time and it is great.

Pecan Crusted Tilapia

Serves: 4

1/2 c. dry breadcrumbs

2 tbsp finely chopped pecans

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp black pepper

1/2 c low-fat buttermilk

1/2 tsp hot sauce

3 tbsp all-purpose flour

4 (6-ounce) tilaipa or snapper fillets

1 tbsp vegetable oil

4 lemon wedges

Combine first 5 ingredients in a shallow dish. Combine buttermilk and hot sauce in a medium bowl; place flour in a shallow dish. Dredge 1 fillet in flour. Dip in buttermilk mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining fillets, flour, buttermilk mixture, and breadcrumb mixture.

Heat 1 1/2 tsp of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 fillets; cook 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and fillets. Serve with lemon wedges.

Calories: 302, Fat 9.1g. Protein 38.4g, Carbohydrates 14.2g, Fiber 0.9g, Cholesterol 64mg, Iron 1.3mg, Sodium 530mg, Calcium 98mg

Pecan Crusted Trout
4 servings

2 rainbow trout, butterflied
1/3 cup pecan pieces
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lemon
3 tablespoons dry white wine

1. Trim and discard heads and tails from trout. Cut trout in half lengthwise down the center to make 4 fillets. Cut lemon in half lengthwise and trim ends, then cut crosswise into 1/8-inch thick slices.
2. Combine pecans, flour, salt and pepper in a shallow pan or plate. Dredge fillets in flour mixture and press pecan pieces into skinless sides of fish. Shake gently to remove excess.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon each butter and oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Place 2 fillets in skillet, skinless side down; pan fry 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and tent loosely with foil to keep warm. Add another 1 tablespoon each butter and oil to skillet; pan fry remaining 2 fillets and remove from skillet.
4. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet; add wine and lemon slices. Scrape and stir in any loose bits from bottom of skillet. Reduce heat to medium and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour sauce with lemon slices over fillets. Serve immediately.

Nutrition Facts: 321 calories 22g total fat 73mg cholesterol; 526mg sodium; 9g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 21g protein

Serve Pecan-Crusted Trout with Long Grain & Wild Rice Pilaf and Steamed Yellow Squash.

I agree with the Tilapia suggestion but you can get Catfish cheap too. I buy the fresh "nuggets". Just get your fish from a reliable fish monger and smell the fish. If it smells "fishy" its no good. Dip in seasoned corn meal and fry in oil. My Harlot Wife just seasons them with Lemon Pepper and fries them in butter. No breading. Pretty good.

Cripes, I can't believe I missed this thread. :(

Whiting. Good stuff, cheap if you buy it in a bag, frozen. Very mild, light, inoffensive flavor, responds well to simple seasonings.

Personally, I think I'm gonna start fishing weekly when the weather's good. Anyone know a good recipe for largemouth bass? :)

If this man has all these preconceptions about fish, you'll never change him. But if you want to try:

Set up a friend to serve something like a summer green salad with a strong dressing and lots of really good CANNED Tuna in it.

Try a fettuccine with an Alfrado Sauce with a good smoked salmon in it- NOT Heavy.

Take him in a situation where he can't bow out, to a place or person who knows how to properly sear a loin of Tuna, and serv it with something like a wasabi / sesame dip.

If the clod wants to remain ignorant after that, buy him some Oscar Meyer wieners and eat without him.

Slimmy, I wonder if he has ever had over cooked Okra...

good luck

I would stick with the white flaky fishes that others have mentioned like tilapia, haddock, cod, etc. These types of fish have a mild flavor that go very well with butter, garlic, lemon, parsley, and lots of other great flavors.

I like salmon, but for people who do not like the fishy smell, taste etc. salmon would not be one they would want to start with. It is a very oily fish and therefore has a stronger smell/taste than something like tilapia.

As far as fish that is inexpensive, well that can and does change from week to week. Just about any white flaky fish can be used interchangeably. Go to the store see what the prices are. If haddock is $2 more than cod then go for the cod.

I used to be very intimidated to cook fish, but one day I just jumped right in and tried. It was just as easy (actually easier) than cooking a meat dish. Give it a shot. You will not be sorry :)

tancowgirl2000 said:
I'd like to start eating more fish. Thing is is that Dh will NOT eat it. Hell I don't even know if he'll let me cook it in the house. But I want to start getting heathier, and what better way than with fish. So other thatn going out and catching my own...I do like fishing, I just don't wnat to do it all the time....what's a good cheap fish to buy at the store?

I've got the same problem with my husband, he cant stand fish, so when I make fish, I make him pork chops rather than argue about it :LOL:
It's best to just buy whatever is on sale. I dont like any previously frozen fish cause it tastes fishy and watery. My favorites are salmon, haddock, cod, sole, flounder. I also love shrimp, sea scallops, lobster, crab. If your daring, you might want to try squid (calamari), you slice them into rings, dip them in tempura or fish batter, fry them in oil til golden, and eat with a marinara dipping sauce mmmmm so good.

Tilapia Fillets with Mustard-Pecan Topping

Delicious tilapia is enhanced with a tasty Dijon topping, made with mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and chopped pecans.
INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup brown mustard, such as French's Bold 'n Spicy
1 pound tilapia fillets, if frozen, thaw
1/4 cup chopped pecans, finely chopped
PREPARATION:

Lightly butter a large, shallow baking pan, such as a jelly roll pan. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, and mustard.
Using paper towels, pat fish lightly to dry. Arrange fish fillets in prepared baking dish.
Spread mayonnaise mixture over each fillet. Sprinkle each fillet with chopped pecans; press down gently.
Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Use 2 to 3 fillets per person, or 4 to 6 ounces. Serve with broccoli and tomato slices. Tilapia recipe makes 4 servings.

Back
Top Bottom