"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 04-05-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Where is the logic?

My wife is very inconsistent.
For years she has said I hate fish and seafood, yet she will eat smoked haddock and cod, breaded and fried haddock and cod, scampi and used to eat salmon too.
As I like fish and seafood dishes and do the cooking, I am somewhat at a loss as what to do.
Other than, divorce or assassination or not serving her fish, is there any suggestions as to how to go circumnavigate the problem?

Old 04-05-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
Head Chef

LOL I've got the same problem with my wife, claims she hates fish but will eat tuna salad and tuna melts, shrimp, scallops and fish & chips no less!
In lieu of us having separate dishes for dinner, I eat fish out as it's easier than trying to convince her how good it could be!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
Senior Cook

My wife doesn't like fish that much either. She will eat grilled shrimp(and only grilled) and snow crab, but doesn't like any other type of fish/shellfish......except....<gag>.....canned tuna!

She says other fish tastes and smells too "fishy".

I'm just going to sell her.

I, too, always eat fish when we go out to eat. When she is gone I have some fish in the freezer at the ready for my fix.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by love-cooking2 View Post
For years she has said I hate fish and seafood, yet she will eat smoked haddock and cod, breaded and fried haddock and cod, scampi and used to eat salmon too.
As I like fish and seafood dishes and do the cooking, I am somewhat at a loss as what to do.
Other than, divorce or assassination or not serving her fish, is there any suggestions as to how to go circumnavigate the problem?
Divorse and marry a Croatian, I catch them she cleans them! also this is her fav market stall.
[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	03092008042_edited.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	10452[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03092008045_edited.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	10453   Click image for larger version

Name:	21112008103.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	10454  

Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

It could be that some of the fish tastes fishier to her or it could be a texture thing or fatty thing. I like walleye, but I don't like Northern (too many bones no matter how well it is filleted). I like pickled herring (all kinds of brine, but only when the jar is freshly opened, if the open jar has been in the fridge, no thanks), but I don't like sardines nor do I like matjes (sp) (texture). I detest smoked eel (too oily), yet I like smoked lake trout, I like salmon, but I don't like lake trout unless it is smoked. I like fresh tuna, but I really don't eat canned tuna. I love all seafood. I eat raw oysters, but I don't eat raw fish except gravlaks (which is cured). And I will not eat lutefisk (texture and smell thing). I have a very sensitive sense of smell--so if fish is too fishy (not fresh--has been frozen too long...), I can't stomach it. I also don't eat leftover fish...I don't like oily or fatty fish or fish with lots of bones. Try milder, firm fish.

Is there a logic--well, no. It is a taste/texture/smell thing.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It could be that some of the fish tastes fishier to her or it could be a texture thing or fatty thing. I like walleye, but I don't like Northern (too many bones no matter how well it is filleted). I like pickled herring (all kinds of brine, but only when the jar is freshly opened, if the open jar has been in the fridge, no thanks), but I don't like sardines nor do I like matjes (sp) (texture). I detest smoked eel (too oily), yet I like smoked lake trout, I like salmon, but I don't like lake trout unless it is smoked. I like fresh tuna, but I really don't eat canned tuna. I love all seafood. I eat raw oysters, but I don't eat raw fish except gravlaks (which is cured). And I will not eat lutefisk (texture and smell thing). I have a very sensitive sense of smell--so if fish is too fishy (not fresh--has been frozen too long...), I can't stomach it. I also don't eat leftover fish...I don't like oily or fatty fish or fish with lots of bones. Try milder, firm fish.

Is there a logic--well, no. It is a taste/texture/smell thing.
There is also that whole dead fish looking thing. Crustations can even be worse. Slime, scales, insect looking, and gelatinous blobs can be quite a turn off unless you've learned to love the food it means.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by love-cooking2 View Post
Let me get this straight... you expect a woman to be logical?! heehee. OW!

Don't think "workaround the problem." Run with what you got. Cook what she likes, like smoked cod. If you like, and cook for yourself a whole octopus, she's allowed to object, but not to deny you.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Let me get this straight... you expect a woman to be logical?! heehee. OW!

Don't think "workaround the problem." Run with what you got. Cook what she likes, like smoked cod. If you like, and cook for yourself a whole octopus, she's allowed to object, but not to deny you.
(Just kidding.)

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Is that a John Dory fish is that 2nd photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Old 04-06-2011, 12:50 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Is that a John Dory fish is that 2nd photo?
Yes

Tags
recipe

Where is the logic? [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]My wife is very inconsistent.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]For years she has said I hate fish and seafood, yet she will eat smoked haddock and cod, breaded and fried haddock and cod, scampi and used to eat salmon too.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]As I like fish and seafood dishes and do the cooking, I am somewhat at a loss as what to do.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Other than, divorce or assassination or not serving her fish, is there any suggestions as to how to go circumnavigate the problem?[/SIZE][/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews