"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 12-10-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
Head Chef

Where should I look for claw crabmeat?

The Hearty Boys on FoodTV just made the most PERFECT-looking crabcakes and I want to try them. Recipes : Cajun Crab Cakes : Food Network

They say to use "claw crabmeat" so it will be less expensive (I should hope so, what with using 32 ounces of it!), but I don't know where to even look for it. Is it fresh, frozen, or canned?

Their cakes looked so great that I'm game to try them again. First time I tried, using some other recipe, my cakes fell apart into crab HASH. Time to get back up on the horse!

Lee

Update: Tonight, I made the crabcakes from the FoodTV link I posted above, with the tartar sauce in the same show. Fantastic! Easy, they held together beautifully, browned up nicely, tasted great. I loved the tartar sauce, too!

I'll post a picture. I served it with bethzaring's easy creamed spinach recipe.

ISO Creamed Spinach recipe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crabcakes and creamed spinach.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	2371  

Old 12-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I bought a one pound can of claw meat at BJs last weekend for crabcakes. It's half the price of the lump crabmeat. Costco has the lump. I don't know if they have claw.

I'll take a look at that recipe. I'm still trying to develop a crabcake recipe I'm happy with.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Head Chef

Was it a 16 oz can, Andy? How much was it at BJ's?

Lee
Old 12-10-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
Executive Chef

If your supermarket has a fresh seafood department, they'll probably have it. It comes in cans that are kept under refrigeration. There are three types, taking the crab from different areas of the crab, each having a price according to location. Claw meat is not the least expensive.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #5
Master Chef

QSis - thanks for those recipe links!! The different sauces look fabulous - I'm always on the lookout for new dipping sauces to serve with seafood.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I buy the cans of it at the market and it costs me about 9.95 not sure if it's 16 oz or larger..It darn good for adding to coppiano or crab cakes.

kadesma
Old 12-10-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
Was it a 16 oz can, Andy? How much was it at BJ's?

Lee

It was a 16 ounce can in a refrigerated case. The lump was $14.99 or $15.99 and the claw was $6.99 or $7.99.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #8
Master Chef

Okay - tonight I'm making flounder stuffed with crabmeat, & bought an 8-ounce container of "Phillips" ("the" commercial crab people around here) blue-claw "claw" crabmeat from the fresh on-ice seafood counter for $3.99. That's right - $3.99. So depending on where you are & where you shop, claw meat isn't necessarily all that expensive (thank goodness!!! :) )
Old 12-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #9
Executive Chef

If you find the claw meat still attached to part of the claw, it makes a great presentation around some cocktail sauce/whatever. It's very inexpensive too, comes in an 8 oz container and so handy to thaw out if company is popping over. We always have some in the freezer.

Quote:
an 8-ounce container of "Phillips" ("the" commercial crab people around here) blue-claw "claw" crabmeat from the fresh on-ice seafood counter for $3.99
Wow!!!, that's unheard of. I would have bought every can in the refrigerator section.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #10
Master Chef

Trust me - that thought did occur to me - lol!!! In fact, I'll probably be going back in the next day or so to pick up some more, since my stuffed flounder tonight was outrageously delicious. What WONDERFUL crabmeat - absolutely ZERO cartilage/shells or anything to pick thru. Wonderful crab taste & texture, not salty - it was terrific. And half a pound of brand-name crabmeat for $3.99???

Tags
None