Where to get bones and heads for Fish stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have started saving the juice I drain from my water packed tuna.
Haven't used it yet, but it sure does seem like it would be an EXCELLENT
quick fish stock base.
Have a ziplock bag frozen in the fridge, waiting for a Sassy Creole Fish Stew night.

Perhaps you could find a local fishmonger, and ask them if they can provide some carcasses from fileted fishes.....

Coastal communities usually have fish markets, or a fish monger in some of the better supermarkets. This is where you'll find whole (cleaned) fish. The further inland, the less likely to find fresh, whole seafood. It's either that, or get to become friends with a fisherman.

Personally, I use nuoc mam (Asian fish sauce). It comes in a bottle and, as long as it's refrigerated, it lasts nearly forever. That, and Dashi (dried bonito flakes), they turn a pot of hot water into a tasty fish broth base for many seafood stews or soups with a minimum of effort.

I wish you well in your search.

The next time yo buy fish, buy a whole fish and ask them to filet it for you and give you the head and bones. Toss the head and bones in the freezer and when you have enough, make a stock.

Shrimp or lobster shells also make great stocks.

At my fish store. You're paying for it, anyway, when you buy fillets. Ask them to pack it separately, and keep the head, tails, backs, etc in the freezer.

We don't have a fish market nearby. I'm not sure my local grocery store will fillet a whole fish, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask. Maybe I'l try to find a fish market within an hour of here. I'm in the middle of central Florida so I assume closer to either coast I could find a fish market. I guess I could also try to learn to fillet a whole fish myself- wow.
Thanks all

We don't have a fish market nearby. I'm not sure my local grocery store will fillet a whole fish, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask. Maybe I'l try to find a fish market within an hour of here. I'm in the middle of central Florida so I assume closer to either coast I could find a fish market. I guess I could also try to learn to fillet a whole fish myself- wow.
Thanks all

You might be surprised where you can find a fish market. A few years ago Lakeland, Fl had one. Also look for Asian Markets if not fresh most have some frozen.

Also, when I buy my fish, i use the tails for stock. No one here much likes tails so it goes well in there. You might keep that in mind, too .....

If you have an Asian or Hispanic store near you that carries meat and seafood you should be able to find whole fish. Sometimes frozen but thawed and chopped in neat peices paired with veggies like carrots, celery onions and spices like black pepper, parsley and oregano and enough water to cover everything and simmered for no more than 30-40 minutes, strained and put into containers or canned. If you can find an oily mackeral or salmon, that would be great tasting.

My local fish market will save me bones from whitefish if I call a day ahead. Otherwise, they get thrown out quickly.

Back
Top Bottom