Which pan surface for sauteed halibut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I'm making sauteed halibut and not sure what the best type of pan for this would be. The choices (based on what I currently own) are: non-stick, cast iron, and anodized aluminum (unfortunately no stainless steel currently).

Would non-stick be okay or do I want to get the pan really hot and use one of the others?

I use my non-stick for fish all the time, on medium low, in garlic butter with dill. It's delicious! I usually have thin little talapia fillets, so only 5 minutes a side and they are perfectly done.

I use my cast-iron skillet for fish. I also use a mix of butter, for flavor, and olive oil, to raise the smoke point of the butter. The general rule is 10 minutes of cook time per 1 inch of fish thickness. Other seasonings vary.

I prefer cast iron especially for thicker pieces so it has plenty of time to release after forming a crust. For thinner fillets I might use non stick. Both will work well

For me,. it would depend on how I'm cooking the fish. For pan frying, or broiling, I'd use my cast iron. If poaching, then maybe the non-stick, with a lid. For baking, again, cast iron is my pan of choice. I also like to use my cast iron grill pan for fish.

For a delicate steam, with herbs, any pan over medium heat, very little oil, and well seasoned. Cooked with the lid on.

And don't forget that your fish can be used in soups, chowders, and bisques. Choose cast iron for searing the fish, and a good pot for making the stock. Thicken by making a fish veloute' with home made fish stock, and a blonde roux made from flour and butter. Add saute'd onion, and seasonings to the voloute, then fish, spuds, carrot, and maybe some celery.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom