"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 08-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all the info

Old 08-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb88886 View Post
Yep, I patted dry with paper towels. I mean there was a lot of liquid in the pan. The scallops didn't have a ton of room in the pan, but they weren't touching or even that close to touching. I'd say maybe a half inch between scallops.

Next time try leaving more space between the scallops. I cook a pound of scallops in a pan that is 12" across the bottom. There is a lot of space between pieces.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #13
Head Chef

If push comes to shove I would sit them on severl layers of paper towle and add severl layers on top of the scallops and then weight them down with severl cans of fruit,juice, etc, to extract some of the liquid out of them then saute juat a few at a time in a cast iron skillet they hold there heat much better than SS
Old 08-02-2008, 12:29 AM   #14
Head Chef

Melting a pat of butter at the end will sear them.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:32 AM   #15
Senior Cook

i don't eat scallops, but i've cooked them for others.

i pat them dry and leave them out on the counter on paper towels for a good while before searing them off.

i'm not saying let them come to room temp, but let them sit there for a minute. i have a friend who actually applies simple syrup (water + sugar) on them before searing... just a light brush and into a VERY, VERY hot pan.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:48 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Yes, I think somehow you were given wet pack scallops. You can use them and still get an acceptable sear but you have to plan ahead. I wash them til the soapy looking water runs clear and then put them on a rack over a pan in the fridge for a day or so. Then dry them well with paper towels.

Here's what our very own IronChef told me me to do - score both of the large flat sides with in a very tiny diamond pattern. The cuts don't have to be all that deep. Then season and saute in a very hot skillet. I use olive oil. He said the scoring helps get a good carmelization and I can definitely attest to that.

HTH
Old 08-02-2008, 06:28 AM   #17
Executive Chef

When you sear scallops, usually the edges get nice and caramelized but the centers of the scallop don't. If you try and sear the scallop further to caramelize the middle, the edges will burn. What the scoring of the scallops basically does is it creates an even and flat cooking surface, and also releases the tension caused by the heat when the proteins coagulate.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:27 AM   #18
Sous Chef

thanks for the tip iron.

Im getting in the mood for bacon wrapped scallops....

I ususally jsut just a little bit of butter when I sear them.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #19
Head Chef

I cook a lot of scallops because I love them and I have to admit that for a long time I had the same liquid problem. I solved it by making sure I use a stainless steel pan rather than non-stick, I never crowd the scallops because as with meat, if the pieces touch they give up liquid and they steam rather than sear, AND I tip the pan so that the liquid runs to the side. You have to hold the pan for the whole time or you can drain the liquid a couple of times while searing and either method works. Keep the heat at medium high since the entire pan is not touching the burner. The scallops become a nice golden brown.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Could you explain the difference between wet and dry scallops to me and is there a difference in price.

Tags
None