Why don't my scallops sear properly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Attie, wet scallops have had a liquid injected into them. It makes them moist and adds weight so they get more money for less product.

Dry pack scallops do not have liquid injected so they are a higher quality scallop. They are more expensive then the wet ones because of this.

dmb88886, something you can try is broiling your scallops. That way the heat source is above the scallops so you are not trying to brown the side in the liquid if there is any.

Thanks GB, Wikipedia tells us that they are treated with sodium tripolyphosphate to help preserve and gain weight so obviously we have only dry scallops here locally and 99% come with the roe on. To me the roe is the best part

Regardless of the pan heat, if you're getting a LOT of liquid out of your scallops, & they were reasonably priced, you most likely did not get "dry-pack" scallops. No amount of patting with paper towels are going to save them. Been there, done that. Plus, since the chemicals involved are basically a preservative & whitener (to make them look nicer in the display case), you really have no idea how long those scallops have been sitting there. This is yet another reason why dry-pack scallops cost more - there's no disguising their freshness.

I never buy anything other than dry-pack scallops anymore. Not only do I not like chemicals in my food (as much as I can avoid them), but I don't like the fact that I'm paying extra for them just so those scallops can look pristinely white & fresh & weigh more because of said chemicals. Yuck.

Next time, try to come across true dry-packs & try your recipe again. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly pleased & surprised at how nicely & quickly they sear up.

Thanks GB, Wikipedia tells us that they are treated with sodium tripolyphosphate to help preserve and gain weight so obviously we have only dry scallops here locally and 99% come with the roe on. To me the roe is the best part

Scallop Roe?? I never heard of this before. I didn't know scallops had roe. I learned something today. Look at this: The red stuff is the roe.

Attachments

• Scallops with Roe On.jpg
    Scallops with Roe On.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 263
A little late

Hi, i'm new to this forum, first post.

I made scallops last night, and for the 2nd time this happened to me. I go to sear it (used a stainless steel pan) on a pretty high temperature and they started out searing nicely on the first side, and I flipped them over, and next thing you know all this juice comes out of the scallops and there is a ton of juice in the bottom of the pan and can no longer be seared. All I did was toss the scallops with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. I also did pat them dry after rinsing them.

I remember last time I tried cooking scallops the same thing happeend.

Anybody have a clue as to why?
I don't know about the 'why' & apologize if already answered but I would use 2 pans, you've got good success on 1 side so an extra pan ready to go gets the other side, just a thought;)

I think i mentioned this before in an earlier post. Instead of agonizing over it why not just drain the liquid as it accumulates? Pretty soon there is no more liquid and your scallops will brown beatifully. Just be sure not to overcook them.

Melting a pat of butter at the end will sear them.

No, that won't sear anything. Searing takes place when the item first hit the pan, if it's going to happen at all. You need to have your product dry, and you need to have the pan hot enough that you hear a definits "sssssssssh" as you put each piece into the hot pan. The second side often doesn't sear, but doesn't really have to, as long as your top is beautifully browned.

If your unwrap your scallops and they are sitting in any kind of pool of liquid, they were treated, no matter what the market tells you about them being "dry" or "day-boat" or any such. Chemically treated scallops will always give off liquid in the pan, no matter how hard you try to dry them before cooking, and they will (at best) always have the faint but discernible taste of soapsuds.

I quite agree, Wayne! If only we could get them in their shells with the roe! Sometimes restaurants can get those, but only "in season," and still, only sometimes.

No, that won't sear anything. Searing takes place when the item first hit the pan, if it's going to happen at all.

I respect your opinions ChefJune but I gotta argue the point about searing. I do this all the time and I get gorgeous, golden brown scallops. Wonder why it works for me and not for you.

No, that won't sear anything. Searing takes place when the item first hit the pan, if it's going to happen at all.

I respect your opinions ChefJune but I gotta argue the point about searing. I do this all the time and I get gorgeous, golden brown scallops. Wonder why it works for me and not for you.

Chef June was disagreeing with the comment that adding butter at the end of cooking will sear the scallops.

She's right. The butter doesn't sear the scallops. The hot pan does.
You can sear scallops using butter, for sure, but it's not the butter that does the searing.

As Attie says, we here in Australia don't have these chemically treated scollops...Not that I am aware of anyway.

The only scollops I have even seen that do not have the roe attached, are packet frozen ones. I also think it is normal and common here to get scollops still in the shell.

So I can only guess to an answer, because I have never cooked chemically treated scollops. But my educated guess is the SS pan. Stainless steel really is not very good at all for cooking. I would suggest using a heavy cast iron pan. Or as a second best, carbon steel wok.

Even with copper ply, I just can't see in my mind SS staying hot enough for hot fast cooking. I think that is the problem.

I hope that is of help :chef:

Chef June was disagreeing with the comment that adding butter at the end of cooking will sear the scallops.

She's right. The butter doesn't sear the scallops. The hot pan does.
You can sear scallops using butter, for sure, but it's not the butter that does the searing.

OOPS. Sorry ChefJune - I misread the quote.
"Tis better to remain silent and be.........etc." :LOL:

If you're going to add butter, what you want to do is to get a good sear on the first side of the scallops using just oil, and then add the butter after you flip the scallops over. Then, use a spoon and baste the scallops with the butter/oil mixture in the pan. This will give you additional browning and some flavor from the butter. You can use this technique when pan searing pretty much anything.

Off Ramp

Fish for dinner (well me anyway, DW had chicken - she won't eat seafood). They had the bacon wrapped scallops - about 2-1/2 inch round on skewers, and then they had a bunch of smaller scallops at the store the other night. I thought about the scallops for a moment, then went for a Tuna steak.

If I bought the bacon-wrapped scallops on a skewer (believe there were 3 on it), it's $10 worth so I want to do a good job. What is the best way to cook these? :neutral:

Fish for dinner (well me anyway, DW had chicken - she won't eat seafood). They had the bacon wrapped scallops - about 2-1/2 inch round on skewers, and then they had a bunch of smaller scallops at the store the other night. I thought about the scallops for a moment, then went for a Tuna steak.

If I bought the bacon-wrapped scallops on a skewer (believe there were 3 on it), it's $10 worth so I want to do a good job. What is the best way to cook these? :neutral:

If you want to make beautiful bacon-wrapped scallops, your bacon needs to be precooked before you wrap it around the scallops. If you don't do it this way, your scallop will have turned into a pencil eraser bvefore the bacon is fully cooked.

Thanks

Well, the bacon they have wrapped around is definitely not cooked & I wouldn't have thought about it - thanks !

Wonder how I would do that, crispy bacon is going to break into pieces. Guess I don't cook it too long? :mellow:

Just remove the bacon & just partially cook it - not to the crisp stage. In fact, it probably won't get crispy crisp after it finishes cooking around the scallops anyway, but giving it an initial par-cook at least won't have it raw.

Just remove the bacon & just partially cook it - not to the crisp stage. In fact, it probably won't get crispy crisp after it finishes cooking around the scallops anyway, but giving it an initial par-cook at least won't have it raw.

Breezy's got it right, but the bacon should brown nicely around the scallop after you've cooked it first -- just about half-way.

****** now I want scallops.

My 2 cents, the scallops were too close together on the original sear.

Back
Top Bottom