Why don't my scallops sear properly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmb88886

Assistant Cook
Hi, i'm new to this forum, first post.

I made scallops last night, and for the 2nd time this happened to me. I go to sear it (used a stainless steel pan) on a pretty high temperature and they started out searing nicely on the first side, and I flipped them over, and next thing you know all this juice comes out of the scallops and there is a ton of juice in the bottom of the pan and can no longer be seared. All I did was toss the scallops with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. I also did pat them dry after rinsing them.

I remember last time I tried cooking scallops the same thing happeend.

Anybody have a clue as to why?

Welcome to DC.

Most scallops are impregnated with a liquid solution. When you try to sear, the liquid is squeezed out of the scallops giving you the liquid in the pan.

Look for dry scallops. They don't have any added liquid and sear beautifully.

If you're cooking the smaller bay scallops, I don't know if they are available dry. The larger sea scallops are.

Thanks!

Is there a trick in case they aren't dry to help get rid of that liquid? I'd guess not.

If there's a trick, I don't know it. If you like scallops, it's worth seeking out the dry ones and paying extra for them.

Hmm, now this is interesting. I order my groceries from freshdirect in new york. I just went to their site and it says I ordered dry scallops and they won't even seem to offer non-dry. I'll have to call them.

I just checked out their website and they are advertised as dry.

Another possibility is that your pan is not hot enough or that you are putting too many scallops into the pan at one time, causing the heat in the pan to drop and take too long to recover.

If either is a possibiity, try using a larger pan and getting it hot before adding the scallops.

Yeah, I don't think I overcrowded too much and the heat was very high. They came sitting in a white liquid, is that normal for dry?

Yes. Even dry scallops will give up a little liquid. Do you dry the scallops off before putting them into the hot pan?

Yep, I patted dry with paper towels. I mean there was a lot of liquid in the pan. The scallops didn't have a ton of room in the pan, but they weren't touching or even that close to touching. I'd say maybe a half inch between scallops.

I noticed the freshdirect website didn't list any ingredients for the scallops. Check the package for ingredients next time you buy.

Yep, I patted dry with paper towels. I mean there was a lot of liquid in the pan. The scallops didn't have a ton of room in the pan, but they weren't touching or even that close to touching. I'd say maybe a half inch between scallops.

Next time try leaving more space between the scallops. I cook a pound of scallops in a pan that is 12" across the bottom. There is a lot of space between pieces.

If push comes to shove I would sit them on severl layers of paper towle and add severl layers on top of the scallops and then weight them down with severl cans of fruit,juice, etc, to extract some of the liquid out of them then saute juat a few at a time in a cast iron skillet they hold there heat much better than SS

i don't eat scallops, but i've cooked them for others.

i pat them dry and leave them out on the counter on paper towels for a good while before searing them off.

i'm not saying let them come to room temp, but let them sit there for a minute. i have a friend who actually applies simple syrup (water + sugar) on them before searing... just a light brush and into a VERY, VERY hot pan.

Yes, I think somehow you were given wet pack scallops. You can use them and still get an acceptable sear but you have to plan ahead. I wash them til the soapy looking water runs clear and then put them on a rack over a pan in the fridge for a day or so. Then dry them well with paper towels.

Here's what our very own IronChef told me me to do - score both of the large flat sides with in a very tiny diamond pattern. The cuts don't have to be all that deep. Then season and saute in a very hot skillet. I use olive oil. He said the scoring helps get a good carmelization and I can definitely attest to that.

HTH

When you sear scallops, usually the edges get nice and caramelized but the centers of the scallop don't. If you try and sear the scallop further to caramelize the middle, the edges will burn. What the scoring of the scallops basically does is it creates an even and flat cooking surface, and also releases the tension caused by the heat when the proteins coagulate.

I cook a lot of scallops because I love them and I have to admit that for a long time I had the same liquid problem. I solved it by making sure I use a stainless steel pan rather than non-stick, I never crowd the scallops because as with meat, if the pieces touch they give up liquid and they steam rather than sear, AND I tip the pan so that the liquid runs to the side. You have to hold the pan for the whole time or you can drain the liquid a couple of times while searing and either method works. Keep the heat at medium high since the entire pan is not touching the burner. The scallops become a nice golden brown.

Back
Top Bottom