"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 09-12-2008, 07:25 AM   #31
Master Chef

Pacanis - sometimes supermarkets have the specialty tuna wherever their "gourmet" &/or import stuff is (canned snails, jarred caviar, etc.).

And Luvs - I have felines, & when I'm enjoying tuna (or sardines or canned kippers for that matter) I always drain the oil over a bowl of their dry food. To them it's not only "Good Eats", but a shiny coat too! :)

Old 09-12-2008, 07:48 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Breezy. I must skip that aisle, as I've never seen canned snails or caviar either. My way of thinking says all the canned seafood should be in one spot, but that makes too much sense.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:05 AM   #33
Master Chef

It's an easy aisle, or really section of an aisle to miss in a regular supermarket unless you're in a place like "Whole Foods" where it's a larger area.

One supermarket here has it right next to the canned meat/fish section, another has it at the very end of the "bread" aisle, & yet another has it in the "pickle" aisle. Go figure.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:34 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I looked for the fancy brand mentioned (Genova something) when I was shopping today. No dice. And I was at a "real" grocery store, not wally world or my town's grocery store.
Is it regional? Ahhh, or maybe in the ethnic aisle?
Pecanis, you should be able to find it in the reg tuna aisle at the market. It is not a gourmet product, & put out by Chicken of the sea. My market has them for 10 for $1 each. Personally, I prefer tuna in water, & I can add my own evoo & vinegar combo or whatever I like to the mix. Don't see any difference - except an Italian label on the can. Maybe those that have tried it, can tell us what the difference is, aside from a label..

Anyone tried the mayo w olive oil, I've seen advertised on TV?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #35
Master Chef

Re: "Mayo with Olive Oil" - just so happens I cracked open a jar of Hellmann's Mayo with Olive Oil just last night. Didn't like it at all & won't be buying it again. Not only did it have no taste or scent of olive oil, but the taste was the decidedly "funny" taste that I've found in low-fat & no-fat mayos, which is why I never buy them.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:43 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I like the starkist in the pouches, no greasy goop to squeeze out.
The flavored ones are pretty good too.... I like the lemon pepper or garlic herb.
Before their Hickory Smoked tuna, I didn't eat tuna. The recipes on the package for Tuna Quesadilla and Tuna Melts are great.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

I really like the Bumble Bee "Sensations" Tuna. They have 3 different flavors including; Lemon & Pepper, Spicy Thai Chili, and Tomato Basil.

Sometimes I can find them in the lunchable sizes all packaged up nice and neat with crackers and a spoon! Perfect for a lunch on the go.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #38
Master Chef

I like those too, & was pleasantly surprised to find the "Thai Chili" flavor actually quite spicy. Usually mainstream commercial items tend to be on the mild side.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks Breezy. I must skip that aisle, as I've never seen canned snails or caviar either. My way of thinking says all the canned seafood should be in one spot, but that makes too much sense.
Sorry Pacanis, but snails are not seafood.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Sorry Pacanis, but snails are not seafood.
You're saying that we eat land snails?
Interesting..... I always thought we ate marine snails, but I know there are land snails that are also edible. I just didn't know they grew as large as typical escargot.
Sorry DQ, I gotta wiki this one.

Tags
None