Your favorite canned tuna is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I just opened up two cans of tuna to make sandwiches for hubby and I on our flight. Don't know if they serve food or not, probably, best guess is not.
I opened StarKist white albacore in water and Polar Yellowfin Tuna Steaks in water. The difference is crazy.
The Starkist, supposedly a good brand by many standards is watery moosh.
The Polar is beautiful, steaks in a round, dropped into the bowl and water fell away leaving perfectly still in tact tuna.

What's your favorite and why?

I use my cheap cans (moosh) when I'm making a mixture and it gets all stirred up. The more expensive Albacore and Yellowfin (solid/chunky) gets used when it needs to show its naked body.

Great Value Walmart Brand!

All I ever use it for is casseroles and tuna salad.
Heck, I didn't even KNOW there was premium canned tuna for decades, LOL!

Genova Tonno from Italy, packed in olive oil. to my taste buds, far and away the best. I know, it's kinda pricy, but I'd rather have it less often.

If I had to make tuna sandwiches for lunchboxes, I'd probably settle for Bumble Bee. :)

I use Starkist. When you say moosh, are you comparing similar "cuts" for lack of better term? It sounds as if your Polar might be Solid Tuna, and your Starkist may be chunk. Starkist has both, but I prefer the chunk for sammies as it mixes better (IMHO) with the mayo. Even the chunk Starkist has always had decent texture of chunks after smooshing all of the water out.

*I only buy the albacore tuna. I'm not up on all of the nature saving things, but I know I've heard the albacore fishers make sure it doesn't harm dolphins. If it is true, then I'm glad to be supporting. If not, well, I'd get it anyway!

I like the starkist in the pouches, no greasy goop to squeeze out.
The flavored ones are pretty good too.... I like the lemon pepper or garlic herb.

starkist in the pouch ... love it ...
i eat tuna sandwiches a few times a week ..

I just opened up two cans of tuna to make sandwiches for hubby and I on our flight. Don't know if they serve food or not, probably, best guess is not.
I opened StarKist white albacore in water and Polar Yellowfin Tuna Steaks in water. The difference is crazy.
The Starkist, supposedly a good brand by many standards is watery moosh.
The Polar is beautiful, steaks in a round, dropped into the bowl and water fell away leaving perfectly still in tact tuna.

What's your favorite and why?

We used to have a store that had some Polar products in their bargain aisle, and I bought several cans of crab claw meat for .99 ea that was delicious!

As for tuna, Chicken of the Sea and Starkist are all I ever see around here. I've never tried any of the fancy stuff.

We used to have a store that had some Polar products in their bargain aisle, and I bought several cans of crab claw meat for .99 ea that was delicious!

As for tuna, Chicken of the Sea and Starkist are all I ever see around here. I've never tried any of the fancy stuff.

they have those here as well and i usually buy what is lowest price among the two. store brands are not very good i have found. it looks like they scrapped the bottom of the boat for it. babe

:whistlingBumble Bee, Bumble Bee yum yum Bumble Bee:whistlingAnyone remember that commercial? or am I dating myself:ermm:

BTW bumble bees my fav

I don't think you are dating yourself with me, but I never saw a Bumblebee tuna commercial even though I see the cans in the store. I only remember Charlie the tuna (Starkist).

I think Bumblebee is pretty "mooky" coompared to Starkist, which I prefer, but since I usually only make sandwiches from it (mayo, celery salt and onion) that I can eat and walk at the same time, in other words no plate required, it will work for me if it's on sale.
And defintely the stuff packed in oil. I don't like the spring water tuna, not as much flavor IMO.

I don't think you are dating yourself with me, but I never saw a Bumblebee tuna commercial even though I see the cans in the store. I only remember Charlie the tuna (Starkist).

I think Bumblebee is pretty "mooky" coompared to Starkist, which I prefer, but since I usually only make sandwiches from it (mayo, celery salt and onion) that I can eat and walk at the same time, in other words no plate required, it will work for me if it's on sale.
And defintely the stuff packed in oil. I don't like the spring water tuna, not as much flavor IMO.

Here ya go
YouTube - Bumblebee tuna

Is ther anything that isn't on youtube?

Thanks. Definitely never saw that when I was younger.

Genova Tonno from Italy, packed in olive oil. to my taste buds, far and away the best. I know, it's kinda pricy, but I'd rather have it less often.

If I had to make tuna sandwiches for lunchboxes, I'd probably settle for Bumble Bee. :)
Just bought some today..Isn't it wonderful..I got a 3oz can for 99 cents and a 6 oz for 1.99...I'm going to use them in an antipasto with chopped olives, cauliflower,carrots,tiny onions, chopped pepperoncini..haven't made this in years, hope it turns out:LOL:

kadesma

Chicken of the Sea, packed in water. Tried the pouch (lemon/pepper), but disappointed because it was all mushy. I feel a salad niciose (on a Kaiser roll),or Pan Bagnet (with pesto or tapenade), coming back to my table in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom