"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #91
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post
I'll be your junkie dealer for the day, Princess !!

As for my favorite(s) - I'm a shellfish addict; my favorite fish lately is Butterfish !

Butterfish and Companions .......
Oh yum! It all looks really good and that pork! <swoon>

Old 02-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #92
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Science Daily and Wake Forest University of Medicine are just two good sources on dangers of this fish. The fish contain very low levels of good Omega 3 but very high levels of fat, PCB, mercury, carcinagins and anti-biotics.
Many studies show this fish to be worse than eating bacon and hamburger. And, the Chinese fish that are farmed are fed corn and animal waste. (Fish are not supposed to eat corn.) The American farm-raised are known to be cleaner than the Chinese farms. But, who wants to eat farm-raised when you can eat wild. Tilapia (according to studies) raises chance of heart disease, asthma and gastro-intestinal problems. 60 Minutes did a segment years ago on this issue with hidden cameras. That- was the last time I ate the garbage fish. Then, started my own research. Tilpia eat animal waste, plastic, metal, etc. They are worse than carp or barracuda. They are the ultimate bottom-feeders. Not for me. I would rather eat something from nearby waters in USA.
Well, some people would eat farmed fish because it's usually much less expensive.

My solution is simply not to buy fish I don't like freshwater fish, only salt water fish. I live near Montreal, so fresh salt water fish has to travel further than I think it can stay fresh. (I lived in Copenhagen for five years and bought fish that were caught the same day.) I don't object to frozen fish, but the wild stuff is almost always too expensive for me.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #93
Senior Cook

I understand you saying wild fish being too expensive. I agree. Living in Copenhagen and buying fresh daily must have been great. While living in Florida, I bought off the boats and from a fish market that bought catch of day at the docks. I miss those days. (I refrain from discussing "farm raised"fish) Since, it was considered "politics." I eat lake fish but am very careful what and where. Since, I live near Great Lakes and have to keep up on what is healthy and what to stay away from.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #94
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I understand you saying wild fish being too expensive. I agree. Living in Copenhagen and buying fresh daily must have been great. While living in Florida, I bought off the boats and from a fish market that bought catch of day at the docks. I miss those days. (I refrain from discussing "farm raised"fish) Since, it was considered "politics." I eat lake fish but am very careful what and where. Since, I live near Great Lakes and have to keep up on what is healthy and what to stay away from.
When I lived in Northern Germany, the "fishman" came every Tuesday. The fish had been caught that morning. He had all the fish packed on ice...too bad I didn't like matjes (sp) which was the favorite of the family with whom I lived. Tuesday was "fried liver" night for me (dredge liver in flour, cook in hot skillet, top with a bottle of beer, toss in some raisins and fried onions, simmer until the sauce is thick and the liver is done).
K.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #95
Senior Cook

The Tuesday fish sounds great but the liver......
Old 02-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #96
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
I understand you saying wild fish being too expensive. I agree.
I don't. I don't buy a lot of it, but to enjoy wild fish from time to time is, for me, a necessity.

And, truth to tell, I would pay almost anything to get fresh walleye.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #97
Senior Cook

Chefjune
I love fresh Walleye. I have it quite often here in Michigan. Happy to say.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #98
Senior Cook

I pay almost anything for fresh Fla. lobster and Alakskan king crab as well. yum
Old 02-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #99
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I have that shopping bag! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post
I'll be your junkie dealer for the day, Princess !!

As for my favorite(s) - I'm a shellfish addict; my favorite fish lately is Butterfish !

Butterfish and Companions .......

Oh! It all looks awesome! Thanks!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:50 AM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I don't. I don't buy a lot of it, but to enjoy wild fish from time to time is, for me, a necessity.

And, truth to tell, I would pay almost anything to get fresh walleye.
I didn't know walleye was a seafood <g>. I can't get walleye where I live--so when I go to Northern MN to see my parents, walleye is what I want for the "welcome home" meal, the "before I leave meal" and any meal in between. We are very simple about how we make walleye.

Saltetine crackers, crushed (a bit of powdered onion and garlic, if you wish)
egg-milk wash
butter

You dunk the fillets in the egg-milk wash. Then in the crushed crackers. Then in the egg-milk wash, and then again in the crackers. Then you toss the fillets in a skillet with the melted butter and cook until the "crackers" are golden and the fish flakes (about 6 minutes). You flip the fillets once.

For shore lunch (you go out in the boat, catch the walleye, clean it, pull up to an island, start a campfire and then cook the walleye in a cast-iron skillet you keep under one of the boat seats in a plastic bag...clean it with salt when you're done and put it back in the plastic bag after you've taken a nap on the rocks and the pan is cold--if you're in a hurry, I guess you can dunk the pan in the lake until it is cold). For shore lunch, you add beer to the wash...I'm going to MN in April, and I'm hitting the locker plant and buying walleye for my mom and I to eat while I'm "mommy sitting" (she has dementia). I don't care how much it costs...MN lobster <g> here I come.

Walleye season in in MN opens about the same time that wild aspargus is available--walleye and wild aspargus...comfort food. I'll be too early for that, but I'm on for walleye from the locker plant, the local restaurant that has an all-you-can eat walleye night on Fridays...and, oh any other place I can get it. Probably some smoked trout too <g>.

On an aside, I took my mom and dad to the cabin my mom's dad built last year (my cousin inherited it). Well, one of my cousins came out and took my 80-yr. old dad fishing. They caught 7 walleye. My cousin cleaned them and gave them to us. We ate walleye for FOUR days (my dad had caught some on his own the day before) while we were at the cabin. Not the same as Conch fritters, but oh, was it sweet. And I did go to the locker plant and brought 8 lb. of walleye home for my brother, my DH, and I. Love walleye. I have a picture of when I was 5 and caught my first walleye. The pic is of me kissing the fish...people who don't like fresh water fish have never had walleye.

Tags
other, seafood