Your Favorite Seafood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seafood is actually the one thing I only like a very choice few items of. I can't stand the 'fishy' taste so most is out for me, but I love calamari, don't mind scallops, and shrimp I like quite a bit.

Shrimp in particular, I have my special, rare occasion "Diets need not apply" garlic shrimp. Lots of garlic, lots of butter, salt and pepper, served with angel hair pasta. So deviously delicious!

PnP, if the seafood you've had is "fishy," then it wasn't very fresh. I can't tell where you live, but next time you're near the ocean, get to a really good restaurant (NOT Red Lobster, a small, local place, usually not fancy) or a Legal Seafood, and try some again that you thought you didn't like.

And NEVER order seafood of any kind in a restaurant on a Monday. Nothing gets delivered between Friday and Tuesday. (insider information ;) )

PnP, if the seafood you've had is "fishy," then it wasn't very fresh. I can't tell where you live, but next time you're near the ocean, get to a really good restaurant (NOT Red Lobster, a small, local place, usually not fancy) or a Legal Seafood, and try some again that you thought you didn't like.

And NEVER order seafood of any kind in a restaurant on a Monday. Nothing gets delivered between Friday and Tuesday. (insider information ;) )

THANK YOU! I have been saying this for years and no one ever listened to me. As I live on the opposite side to the coast (it's a good couple hours or so drive from me) it's to be expected that what's on offer is mainly imported, deep freeze and thawed for 'fresh' at the mass supermarket chains. The closest I have to going fresh is making a special trip at the crack of dawn to the fish market at the port or the big inner city market - not very practical at all :-p

It doesn't help I grew up in a household where that seafood selector/faux lobster meat and canned sardines were a common thing. Blech!

I'll take your advice though, thank you! I plan on getting some proper fresh produce next time I'm overseas visiting relatives as they have far better local produce of that kind near them than I (thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to keep all seafood menu options closed on long weekends :LOL:).

While I love dry processed mondo-sized Sea Scallops and Maine Mussels from my neck of the woods (or sea I guess), Grilled Alaskan King Crab, raw Hamachi, seared Sea Bass... yadda, yadda...

... if I were to only have one option for the rest of my life it would be fresh Haddock. Fish Chowder (stock and milk), Fish Stew (stock and tomatoes), pan-seared with a red-wine sauce (!), deep fried in a sandwich, pan-roasted whole... so many of my favorites.

Haddock for me.

Fish
1 Dover Sole
2 Halibut
3 Turbot
4 Haddock
5 Bass
6 Sardines
7 Skate wings

Crustacians
1 Cromer Crab
2 Dublin Bay Prawns
3 Razor Clams
4 Sea Urchins
5 Oysters
6 Brown Shrimp
7 Mussels

Others
Squid
Octopus.

I looooove crab legs, or anything that has crab in it. I also love halibut, shrimp, walleye, northern pike... Will have to try the Dover sole mentioned above- I've never even heard of that! I actually really like to boil just about any kind of fish (even walleye) and dip it in butter. Dunking it in boiling water for a few minutes just gives it such a firm texture. It's so good!

Calamari is up there, but I have a very close 1 & 2. Crawfish(fresh only) boil and snow crab legs boiled the same as a crawfish boil. Probably have to say the crab is #1.....but I'm really jones'n for a crawfish boil! Probably like them both so much as it is some what of a "party" w/the kids. Wife isn't too crazy for crawfish. I guess sometimes food brings back memories of goood times.

This is our two kids and their friends. Yep, that is the wifes steak.

img_962150_0_94abb3aaadc395657a30972dc9e74dde.jpg
BigAl, that is such great pic of your 2 kids with their friends. I laughed at the girls giggling while eating their crawfish...and your wife's steak at the fresh boiled crawfish "party". The boys have been trained well...i see the girls have the seats ;)

Last edited:
Scallopes...Big U10 sized Sea Scallopes. Seared in a smoking hot pan. Love em side by side with a medium rare filet.

I love pomfret fish so much! I used to make them into battered fish and fry it! The batter goes well with the fish fillets as long as the fish is fresh! you may look up the recipe at Asia Food Guide Indian Battered Fish Recipe!

Please post your recipe here.

To chose one would be impossible. Plus there are so many that I have never had the opportunity to try. Even when I was in New Zealand for work, I never had the chance to try fresh green lipped mussels.

Most of the fish that I prefer are ones that I or my wife have shot. Freshness is never a question then!;) I have never had spiny lobster that one of us has not caught ourselves. However, my recipe for Lobster Diablo requires that I use defrosted tails as it is impossible to remove the raw tail meat when it is right out of the ocean.

I have never met a crab that I dislike, but until recently have always prefered blues. Here in Florida, in the past few years, a deep water species have been harvested commercially called Golden Crabs. These are a large spider like crab, smaller than kings but larger than opies (queen). Very sweet and much easier to pick than blues. Of coarse, we are very lucky to have stone crabs here as well.

Conch is very high on my list, but it is unfortunate that they are still off limits to take here. Our wonderful gov imposed a 10 year moratorium on them back in the '70s that has never been recinded, even though the numbers have rebounded enough to rival our 1.7 million alligator population. Gators can now be taken under strict limitations, but no conch.:(

Craig

No one mentioned the old backyard fish fry with black bass, croakers, and sheepshead of shellcrackers. The key is to salt the raw fish before the cornmeal dip...like eating popcorn!

Back
Top Bottom