"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #21
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by potsnpanties View Post
Seafood is actually the one thing I only like a very choice few items of. I can't stand the 'fishy' taste so most is out for me, but I love calamari, don't mind scallops, and shrimp I like quite a bit.

Shrimp in particular, I have my special, rare occasion "Diets need not apply" garlic shrimp. Lots of garlic, lots of butter, salt and pepper, served with angel hair pasta. So deviously delicious!
PnP, if the seafood you've had is "fishy," then it wasn't very fresh. I can't tell where you live, but next time you're near the ocean, get to a really good restaurant (NOT Red Lobster, a small, local place, usually not fancy) or a Legal Seafood, and try some again that you thought you didn't like.

And NEVER order seafood of any kind in a restaurant on a Monday. Nothing gets delivered between Friday and Tuesday. (insider information )

Old 01-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #22
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
PnP, if the seafood you've had is "fishy," then it wasn't very fresh. I can't tell where you live, but next time you're near the ocean, get to a really good restaurant (NOT Red Lobster, a small, local place, usually not fancy) or a Legal Seafood, and try some again that you thought you didn't like.

And NEVER order seafood of any kind in a restaurant on a Monday. Nothing gets delivered between Friday and Tuesday. (insider information )
THANK YOU! I have been saying this for years and no one ever listened to me. As I live on the opposite side to the coast (it's a good couple hours or so drive from me) it's to be expected that what's on offer is mainly imported, deep freeze and thawed for 'fresh' at the mass supermarket chains. The closest I have to going fresh is making a special trip at the crack of dawn to the fish market at the port or the big inner city market - not very practical at all

It doesn't help I grew up in a household where that seafood selector/faux lobster meat and canned sardines were a common thing. Blech!

I'll take your advice though, thank you! I plan on getting some proper fresh produce next time I'm overseas visiting relatives as they have far better local produce of that kind near them than I (thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to keep all seafood menu options closed on long weekends ).

Old 01-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

Thanks to all for your opinions, looks like we have a winner - crabs
Old 01-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #24
Sous Chef

While I love dry processed mondo-sized Sea Scallops and Maine Mussels from my neck of the woods (or sea I guess), Grilled Alaskan King Crab, raw Hamachi, seared Sea Bass... yadda, yadda...

... if I were to only have one option for the rest of my life it would be fresh Haddock. Fish Chowder (stock and milk), Fish Stew (stock and tomatoes), pan-seared with a red-wine sauce (!), deep fried in a sandwich, pan-roasted whole... so many of my favorites.

Haddock for me.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Fish
1 Dover Sole
2 Halibut
3 Turbot
4 Haddock
5 Bass
6 Sardines
7 Skate wings

Crustacians
1 Cromer Crab
2 Dublin Bay Prawns
3 Razor Clams
4 Sea Urchins
5 Oysters
6 Brown Shrimp
7 Mussels

Others
Squid
Octopus.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #26
Senior Cook

I really only like fish, mostly salmon, and tuna. The only seafood that I like is crab legs. I love them and cannot get enough.

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #27
Head Chef

can't pick one, so... my favorite seafood is any that I've never tried.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #28
Sous Chef

I looooove crab legs, or anything that has crab in it. I also love halibut, shrimp, walleye, northern pike... Will have to try the Dover sole mentioned above- I've never even heard of that! I actually really like to boil just about any kind of fish (even walleye) and dip it in butter. Dunking it in boiling water for a few minutes just gives it such a firm texture. It's so good!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

ALL shellfish! Lobster, oysters, clams, crab, squid, conch, you name it I love it.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:39 AM   #30
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
Calamari is up there, but I have a very close 1 & 2. Crawfish(fresh only) boil and snow crab legs boiled the same as a crawfish boil. Probably have to say the crab is #1.....but I'm really jones'n for a crawfish boil! Probably like them both so much as it is some what of a "party" w/the kids. Wife isn't too crazy for crawfish. I guess sometimes food brings back memories of goood times.

This is our two kids and their friends. Yep, that is the wifes steak.

BigAl, that is such great pic of your 2 kids with their friends. I laughed at the girls giggling while eating their crawfish...and your wife's steak at the fresh boiled crawfish "party". The boys have been trained well...i see the girls have the seats

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other, seafood