"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #71
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 32
I enjoy lobster steamed and served with butter and freshly sweezed lemon juice. I also like shrimp cocktail and crawfish boils.. :) Scallops are good too when panfried with nothing added it to it..except maybe with some salsa :)
__________________

__________________
kookiblob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #72
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 264
Tilapia

Science Daily and Wake Forest University of Medicine are just two good sources on dangers of this fish. The fish contain very low levels of good Omega 3 but very high levels of fat, PCB, mercury, carcinagins and anti-biotics.
Many studies show this fish to be worse than eating bacon and hamburger. And, the Chinese fish that are farmed are fed corn and animal waste. (Fish are not supposed to eat corn.) The American farm-raised are known to be cleaner than the Chinese farms. But, who wants to eat farm-raised when you can eat wild. Tilapia (according to studies) raises chance of heart disease, asthma and gastro-intestinal problems. 60 Minutes did a segment years ago on this issue with hidden cameras. That- was the last time I ate the garbage fish. Then, started my own research. Tilpia eat animal waste, plastic, metal, etc. They are worse than carp or barracuda. They are the ultimate bottom-feeders. Not for me. I would rather eat something from nearby waters in USA.
__________________

__________________
LAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #73
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Science Daily and Wake Forest University of Medicine are just two good sources on dangers of this fish. The fish contain very low levels of good Omega 3 but very high levels of fat, PCB, mercury, carcinagins and anti-biotics.
Many studies show this fish to be worse than eating bacon and hamburger. And, the Chinese fish that are farmed are fed corn and animal waste. (Fish are not supposed to eat corn.) The American farm-raised are known to be cleaner than the Chinese farms. But, who wants to eat farm-raised when you can eat wild. Tilapia (according to studies) raises chance of heart disease, asthma and gastro-intestinal problems. 60 Minutes did a segment years ago on this issue with hidden cameras. That- was the last time I ate the garbage fish. Then, started my own research. Tilpia eat animal waste, plastic, metal, etc. They are worse than carp or barracuda. They are the ultimate bottom-feeders. Not for me. I would rather eat something from nearby waters in USA.
That's plenty good enough for me. Thanks for the heads up, LAJ
I've never eaten Tilapia, and now I never will.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #74
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 264
I love your quote....
__________________
LAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Well, dogs aren't supposed to eat corn either, and it's the number one ingredient in your typical crappy, commercial dog food that can be easily boughten. Lots of nasty stuff in beef feed, too. There is lots of stuff fed to our companion and food animals that shouldn't be, many fillers and odd ingredients.
That said, I had heard about the conditions that tilapia were farmed in and to tell the truth, haven't boughten any since, but then, I live a few miles from Lake Erie and there are allowances, or quantities of fish that I am supposed to limit myself to from these waters because of the mercury content... I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite.

And I'll pretend I didn't read that bacon was bad for you
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #76
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Popular Fish, Tilapia, Contains Potentially Dangerous Fatty Acid Combination

Here is the article.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #77
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
And I'll pretend I didn't read that bacon was bad for you
Blasphemy!!!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #78
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Blasphemy!!!
Bacon lovers unite!!


Quote:
I love your quote....
Thanks LAJ
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #79
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well, dogs aren't supposed to eat corn either, and it's the number one ingredient in your typical crappy, commercial dog food that can be easily boughten. Lots of nasty stuff in beef feed, too. There is lots of stuff fed to our companion and food animals that shouldn't be, many fillers and odd ingredients.
That said, I had heard about the conditions that tilapia were farmed in and to tell the truth, haven't boughten any since, but then, I live a few miles from Lake Erie and there are allowances, or quantities of fish that I am supposed to limit myself to from these waters because of the mercury content... I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite.

And I'll pretend I didn't read that bacon was bad for you
Pacanis, I could care less if fish eat corn but this makes my stomach turn... I won't touch catfish for the same reason.....
Quote:
Tilpia eat animal waste, plastic, metal, etc. They are worse than carp or barracuda. They are the ultimate bottom-feeders.
Patooie.....
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #80
Head Chef
 
spork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Landlocked in Southwest U.S.
Posts: 1,123
My favorite seafood to cook is Greenling Cod (I've only seen it sold at commercial harbor markets along the northern Pacific U.S. coast). Its flesh is a uber-cool turquoise color that cooks to white. Taste is a bit milder, texture a bit more delicate, than mass market ling cod.
__________________

__________________
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
other, seafood

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.