Your favourite salmon tartar recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
With all the mentions of fish recently, including salmon, I think I would like to make some salmon tartar. We like salmon, but only if it hasn't been cooked with heat. I have never made salmon tartar, but I would like to. I found a recipe that looks pretty good. But, if someone here has a favourite recipe or experience with salmon tartar, I would love to hear. I had it once, in a fancy resto. It was "fire kissed". They assured me it wouldn't tasted cooked. But, it did, shudder. My sister had no objection to finishing my serving.

This is the recipe I found: https://www.carolinescooking.com/salmon-tartare/

I can't stand salmon cooked with heat either (other than smoked).:( So my fish of choice, at present, for tartar would be fresh yellow fin tuna.

I'm also in the camp of "no cooked salmon" other than smoked. We enjoy bagels and lox every Sunday morning and that recipe looks like something we would really like Taxi. Thanks.

Interesting that some don't care for "cooked" salmon..

While I enjoy smoked salmon, I also enjoy it grilled and baked..
I no longer grill and I miss that.. When catering, in the 90's, one of our most popular wedding reception items was grilled salmon..

I don't believe that I have ever used a standard tartar sauce on salmon.. Mostly a dill or lemon sauce..

Ross

There is also something called "hot smoked salmon". Then the salmon is actually cooked with heat and changes colour. :yuk: I have learned to make sure that any smoked salmon I get is "cold smoked" or is called lox or lax or laks.

Fresh, raw salmon has parasites. You probably want to freeze the salmon before using it raw. You could get expensive sushi grade salmon or industrially frozen salmon. Freezing kills the parasites that are endemic in salmon. For home freezing to kill the parasites, a week or more at -4°F (-20°F) will do it. If you aren't sure your freezer is as cold as -4°F, I have read elsewhere that leaving it frozen longer will kill the parasites.

Here's a paper from Public Health Ontario. Evidence Brief: Control of parasites by freezing in fish for raw consumption

There are a couple of tables on pages 8 and 9. I just skimmed the paper.

Last edited:
Interesting that some don't care for "cooked" salmon..

While I enjoy smoked salmon, I also enjoy it grilled and baked..
I no longer grill and I miss that.. When catering, in the 90's, one of our most popular wedding reception items was grilled salmon..

I don't believe that I have ever used a standard tartar sauce on salmon.. Mostly a dill or lemon sauce..

Ross

Oops, I should have spelled it "tartare", with an "e" on the end. The dish has nothing to do with tartar sauce. It is tartare in the same way as beef tartare is seasoned, chopped, raw beef. This is seasoned, chopped, raw salmon.

Oops, I should have spelled it "tartare", with an "e" on the end. The dish has nothing to do with tartar sauce. It is tartare in the same way as beef tartare is seasoned, chopped, raw beef. This is seasoned, chopped, raw salmon.

My bad.. I should have known that tartare was what was referred to.. I have enjoyed that also.. :)

Ross

Back
Top Bottom