Another "meat left out" question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coquus

Assistant Cook
I left a pork loin out overnight on the counter to thaw...it was in the deep freeze and weighs 2 lbs. I meant to put in in the fridge but I forgot. Should I throw it out?

If it remained wrapped in plastic and was still cold to the touch this morning, I would still use it. If in doubt, open it, smell it, rinse it off under the faucet, pat it dry. It should still be good.

I am on the opposite site os Selkie. I would say it is not worth the risk. The general rle of thumb is that meat should nit be in the dNger zone (40-140 F) for longer than two hours. Smelling is not a reliable way to tell if there is an issue. Neither is touching to feel if it is cool. Food poisoning can take. Any forms and can be as mild as a little discomfort all the way up to death. Is it worth the risk? For me the answer will always be no.

This is always going to be a personal (& sometimes volatile - lol!) issue, with good points & personal experience presented by both sides.

Speaking for myself, I would definitely use it. I frequently leave 2 to 2-1/2 pound chickens out overnight to defrost (on purpose), & the following morning they're always still cold to the touch & frequently still frozen inside. In well over 30 years, no problems. I'd be very hard put to toss out a perfectly good pork loin.

And before any flaming, I do KNOW that this is my choice/opinion & does not agree with government standards for meat defrosting.

All I know is that you can leave a hunk of refrigerated (not frozen) meat on the counter for six hours trying to get to room temp and you are lucky if it gets warmer than 64F in that time.
Frozen, probably wrapped, just overnight... I'd give myself a 70% chance that I'd cook it and eat it. Emphasis on "me" and no kids, elderly or sick people involved.
On the other hand, it's just 2 lbs of pork loin. That can be replaced pretty cheaply.

All I know is that you can leave a hunk of refrigerated (not frozen) meat on the counter for six hours trying to get to room temp and you are lucky if it gets warmer than 64F in that time.
which is WELL within the danger zone.

which is WELL within the danger zone.

Yes, but there is a time factor involved, isn't there?
It's not like the OP's pork loin was in the danger zone all that time. Certainly not starting out frozen.
But like Breezy said, it's a personal choice.

The issue with statements like "I have done it this way for 100 years and neither myself or anyone else has ever gotten sick" is that there is simply no way that those people know that is true. Food poisoning can take up to 3 days before any symptoms show and can include things like headache, diarrhea, stomach ache, and other such mild discomforts. Only a doctor can diagnose food poisoning. So unless these people have been informed of every minor ache and pain that anyone they have fed has experience for days after AND that person has been checkout by by a doctor then there is simply no way of knowing if they have given someone food poisoning.

Yes, but there is a time factor involved, isn't there?
It's not like the OP's pork loin was in the danger zone all that time. Certainly not starting out frozen.
But like Breezy said, it's a personal choice.
Yes, the time factor is two hours. Of course this is not a hard and fast rule. Food does not go from being safe at 39 degrees and one hour and 59 minutes to being unsafe at 40 and 2 hours. There are a ton of factors that come into play. But for me when it is a possibility of death vs. A few wasted bucks the decision is an easy one.

Don't have enough info. Where was it bought? small family butcher or big box store warehouse food area?? Freezer wrap means?? cryovac or lined paper wrap?? overnight means 6 hrs or 10 hrs?? When found was it cool to the touch was it cold inside (anyone take it's temp with an instaread thermometer?? Where is this person?? North woods UP Michigan or South Texas without AC.

When faced with no info to judge...throw it out. Because this is a message board and not my immediate family ... throw it out.

i'm with selkie, pac, and breezy. but there are variables.

the real decision for me would be how it smelled when the package was opened. if it smelled like nothing, or like the way good pork smells, i would have no problem cooking and serving it to my family.

if it smelled off in any way, i'd chuck it.

i wonder what the servsafe regulations were before the days of refrigeration? or in countries with no power infrastructure? you'd have to slaughter an animal and cook it before it hit the ground. ;)

i wonder what the servsafe regulations were before the days of refrigeration? or in countries with no power infrastructure? you'd have to slaughter an animal and cook it before it hit the ground. ;)

Man, down in the Dominican, some vendors display their meat out on a plywood table on the street in the sun. I can imagine that the table doesn't get much in terms of sterilization at the end of each day either. I guess they have developed immunities to the bacteria, but it is still nasty looking. And smelling. I walked by a few meat vendors and I have to say it almost made me ralph.

I don't think it is any coincidence that life expectancy in those areas and times is/was much lower than in areas that practice safe food handling.

Life expectancy was low during the Ice Age, too. When everything was frozen.
Just sayin'.

:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom