Breadless sandwich ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In an effort to cut back on carbs, I often make breadless sandwiches. I roll up a slice of cheese with a slice of meat or just layer a sandwich on a plate, minus the bread.

When bread is a necessity for something like pimento cheese, I only use one slice of bread instead of the traditional 2 slices.

Little gem lettuces make a nice, small container to place a sandwich filling - attractive and healthier than bread also! Would look good at a party/buffet.

Love the look of the cuke sub "buns". :LOL: The Portabella halloumi burgers look yummy, too. Definitely a knife-and-fork sandwich in our house, though.

I've substituted a romaine lettuce leaf for the bread for ages. I do slice a bit of the spine off, tapering it carefully so that it is barely above the leafy part. That way the romaine is very flexible and doesn't crack when you roll the leaf. Lay some thin meat slices and a bit of cheese, roll, and stuff into your mouth. Or be polite, stab with a toothpick, and put a few on a plate. Mine is usually the grab-and-go version.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be pedantic here and argue that it's not a sandwich without bread. There are some really clever ideas in that link.

The thread got me curious and I googled. Wiki includes bread in the definition of the sandwich but what I found really humorous was a ruling by a Boston court:

In the United States, a court in Boston, Massachusetts ruled that "sandwich" includes at least two slices of bread.[1] and "under this definition, this court finds that the term 'sandwich' is not commonly understood to include burritos, tacos, and quesadillas, which are typically made with a single tortilla and stuffed with a choice filling of meat, rice, and beans."[15]...

I have a cucumber...

As most of you know, I've cut back on carbs significantly. So I don't eat much of anything that would qualify as "bread."

That said, once every couple months I get a hankering for a grilled cheese or BLT. I started using a recipe which calls for almond flour and egg whites. It's a little expensive to make, but the result is absolutely bread-like and wonderful (I am certain Bostonians would even approve). I normally make it up, use half the loaf and stick the other half in the freezer for another time.

Using all the egg whites in the bread also has the advantage of leaving a lot of yolks I can use to make mayo.

Recipe here: Maria Mind Body Health | paleo recipes, paleo bread, weight loss bread, weight watchers bread

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be pedantic here and argue that it's not a sandwich without bread. There are some really clever ideas in that link.

The thread got me curious and I googled. Wiki includes bread in the definition of the sandwich but what I found really humorous was a ruling by a Boston court:

In the United States, a court in Boston, Massachusetts ruled that "sandwich" includes at least two slices of bread.[1] and "under this definition, this court finds that the term 'sandwich' is not commonly understood to include burritos, tacos, and quesadillas, which are typically made with a single tortilla and stuffed with a choice filling of meat, rice, and beans."[15]...

I have a cucumber...

So if I take two tortillas, spread mayo on both, place cold cuts, lettuce and tomato on the first and then place the second one over it, that wouldn't count. Even if it is a flour tortilla? We Bostonians do have our quirks. :angel:

So if I take two tortillas, spread mayo on both, place cold cuts, lettuce and tomato on the first and then place the second one over it, that wouldn't count. Even if it is a flour tortilla? We Bostonians do have our quirks. :angel:

That would be a sandwich. If you make a taco with one tortilla, that court ruled it would not be a sandwich.

If you consider a sandwich is made with one or more pieces of bread, AND if you consider a tortilla to be bread, then a taco, burrito, quesadilla, chimichunga, etc would be a sandwich too.

But we're getting off topic. I think a sandwich made with a cuke would be very refreshing for a summer lunch.

That would be a sandwich. If you make a taco with one tortilla, that court ruled it would not be a sandwich.

If you consider a sandwich is made with one or more pieces of bread, AND if you consider a tortilla to be bread, then a taco, burrito, quesadilla, chimichunga, etc would be a sandwich too.

But we're getting off topic. I think a sandwich made with a cuke would be very refreshing for a summer lunch.

So right Andy. That one CAUGHT my eye right away. I kept going back to look at it over and over. Although I would have to remove the skin in strips and would want to run a fork down the sides. I can't eat all the skin, and the fork makes for a pretty presentation. Even if all the skin was left on. Although it is great looking just as is! :angel:

Last edited:
I shrunk 4 sizes when I stopped eating bread and white sugar. A zucchini could also be used as a delivery device--that is all bread is, a delivery device for the filling. I'm looking forward to playing with a breadless sub using a cucumber, smoked trout/salmon, fresh veggies from the garden...a nice oil and vinegar dressing....yum-yum. Especially when it is beastly hot and I don't want anything to do with a stove or oven.

Agree. A reuben just isn't a reuben without rye. Pulled pork, at least for me, has to be on either a toasted French or sourdough hoagie roll. So many breads, so little time... :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom