Does anyone have experience following Caldwell Esselytyn, Dean Ornish, John McDougall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alden Cornell

Assistant Cook
I’m looking for a healthy vegetarian diet that remains palatable over time. Caldwell Esselytyn, Dean Ornish, John Mcougall, and Joel Fuhrman diets all look promising, at least in health terms. Has anyone had experience actually staying on any of these vegetarian diets for more than a year, or opinions about the palatability? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
when i read the title of this thread, i thought, "are they lost?"
:cool:

welcome alden. i'm sure someone will be along shortly eith an answer.

Welcome to DC, Alden!

A friend who had a heart attack was put on the Ornish diet, and found it somewhat difficult to follow. It continues to be very highly recommended, however.

I had five blocked arteries and had bypass surgery in July 2009 . Prior to the surgery I had been on what I thought was a fairly healthy diet , exercised a lot , non smoker . I had been on cholesterol medication for about 7 years prior to my operation. Unfortunately I inherited this problem from my parents who both died before they were 70 with heart disease . Anyhow my cholesterol levels were not that great after my surgery even though I was exercising a lot and on a strict diet . My niece who I thought was just a health nut was following the Esselstyn plan and she gave me the book . I read it and was impressed so I commited to following his plan for one year and started in May 2011 . I am very fortunate to have a very supportive wife who also is a great cook, she also follows the diet in support of me . We muddled along for the first 4 or 5 months and our menu was mainly from Esselstyn's book and the internet . We got very lucky and came across a book titled "The Happy Herbivore" and boy did our menu ever improve ,great dishes and even great desserts and all of it is super healthy . My cholesterol levels are now below average and I feel great .I must add though it's not all the diet , we walk 10 kms five days a week and exercise for 45 minutes each morning. Was the diet easy , for me , yes ,I had a choice eat properly or die young . I would heartily recommend a fat free vegan diet , if you suffer from heart disease or have a family history of heart disease.

To all who've written, thank you and I apologize for the long delay getting back to you. Buckytom, enjoyed your humor! Dawgluvr, Josie, Margi, thanks for the welcome and comments. NBVegan, I appreciate your telling your personal story. I also learned more of Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn since I posted and am impressed with his level of expertise and good sense. I agree it's a good diet to follow - tremendous benefit to those with a difficult heart history, but also promising for those who want to stay healthy. I've watched Dr. Esselstyne's videos and read his book, "Heart Attack Proof" and he makes a compelling case. Thanks also for your helpful tip on the Happy Herbivore - found her website and her recipes look good. So many vegan recipes still use oil so this was refreshing to find this site and cookbook. Thank you again for passing along your experience and best wishes for your continued good health.

Alden Cornell Molokai Hawaii

hi alden, and welcome to dc.:) i hope you find what you're looking for in a sustainable diet. just now i am reading dr. neal barnard's book, 'power foods for the brain'. it looks promising (for healthy lifestyles in general). and, for the subject, a surprisingly interesting read....:)

Thanks Vitauta. I have seen some of Dr. Barnard's work and like what he has to say. I haven't read the book you mentioned -- sounds interesting. Remarkable what good health we could have as a country if healthy eating could just catch on.

Alden Cornell, Molokai

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom