Help, please, from serious vegan bakers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Demon Baker

Assistant Cook
I'm not vegan but have a friend who is and I often cook for her. I also bake for a cake sale at our charity horse show and I'd like to make vegan cakes but I have a problem converting standard recipes into vegan equivalents due to the requirement for eggs. Eggs are an important raising agent in sponge and fruit cakes and cupcakes. Can anyone suggest a suitable substitute to use in vegan cakes?

I already have a wartime cake recipe which uses vinegar instead of eggs but one recipe is a bit limiting.

Thank you in anticipation

Demon Baker

Hi,
For my Vegan cakes use 2 Teaspoons Ener-G- Egg Replacer add to 1/4 cup lukewarm water and beat with electric mixer until frothy add soy milk and beat for 30 seconds add to dry ingredients. Works for me.

Maybe seek vegan recipes instead of trying to convert? Since baking is chemistry let others do all the hard work developing a recipe! :)

You can also use vinegar in soya milk or other plant based milk, flaxseed ground up or made into a gel, or use mashed banana.

I've used flaxseed which I bought from the health food shop.

There are a lot of vegan baking books on Amazon which might be a better way to go than haphazard replacement on non-vegan recipes.

Back
Top Bottom