In general, how long does it take to cook vegetables?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have not bothered to talk about kale as it's horrible and only fit for cattle food! Don't care if it has all sorts of nutritional value - let it do the cows good.

Until we decided to try growing kale a few years ago, We did not like it. We would feed it to our dogs as part of their veggie mix. The reason I did not like it was it was tough, cloyingly over powering (smelly) when cooked, and well, too strong a taste for my liking. We now grow three or four varieties of kale every summer. I have fallen in love with the Russian purple and a black variety that doesn't look like kale at all. The best kale is baby kale, followed by kale following the frost. Or, to put the kale in the freezer for about 30 minutes right after it is picked. That sweetens the kale. I'm always sad when the kale dies back in November-December. My go-to steamed veggie for breakfast is kale. But, I never buy it in the store. It is always too tough and wretched tasting.

However, I did like kale when it was made as Grünkohl mit Pinkel. I couldn't get enough of this when I ate it in Northern Germany. I can still recall the texture and the taste. It was soooo good. I have a couple of Pinkel recipes that I might try next time I make sausage if I can find all the ingredients.

Grünkohl mit Pinkel nach Bremer Art (Rezept mit Bild) | Chefkoch.de

For those who can read German, you will notice that the recipe includes the requirement to use kale after there has been frost. The sausage is the key and that is what makes it different than just kale and any old sausage one pot. Each butcher has their own recipe and it typically is only available from ?February - March.

3. There are many many kinds of vegetables but is it OK to only stick to one or two types of them I like? or is it MUCH better to take it all different types of vegetalbes

cabbageflowering.JPG
The usual advice is to eat a mixture of colours to get the best nutritional benefit from your consumption of fruit and vegetables. See this link:

Fruits & Veggies More MattersFruit and Veggie Color List : Fruits & Veggies More Matters : Health Benefits of Fruits & Vegetables

The more veg and fruits you eat the better and the more balanced your diet. In the UK they say a minimum of 5-a-day but other countries recommend more than that. The slimming club that i use when I need to lose some weight recommend that your plate should be at least one third vegetables and/or fruit at every meal.

i think vegetables not need to cook

you kill the originality and vitamix in in becomes less

i think vegetables not need to cook

you kill the originality and vitamix in in becomes less

Actually, cooking changes the chemical form of some vitamins and other nutrients when vegetables are cooked, making them more easily absorbed by the body. Cooking also kills pathogens that may be on the veggies and makes them easier to digest.

This isn't true of all of them, of course, but in general, cooking improves getting nutrition from foods.

i mean cooking vegetables not cooking in general thats first thing dont mess it up
Cooking also kills pathogens that may be on the veggies and makes them easier to digest. it doesnt mean easier digestion makes better to the body in general and provides more vitamins..

cooking is good but we discuss here cooking vegetables i mean salads, carrots, salad leaves etc which is not nessesary

Last edited:
if you mean cooking potatoes etc messed potatoes yes true this is easier to digest but if u mean cooking or fry pepper or cabbage or union or salad leaves this is not needed at all better it raw or make salads

if you mean cooking potatoes etc messed potatoes yes true this is easier to digest but if u mean cooking or fry pepper or cabbage or union or salad leaves this is not needed at all better it raw or make salads

Sorry, but I can not digest raw veggies in any form. I would love to have a leaf of lettuce on a tomato, cuke sandwich. But I have enough trouble with just the tomato and peeled cuke.

I take it by your name you are a salesperson of the Vitamix machine. Therefor you are promoting all of its supposed benefits. No one method of preparation can possibly be the one and only approved method. :angel:

i mean cooking vegetables not cooking in general thats first thing dont mess it up
Cooking also kills pathogens that may be on the veggies and makes them easier to digest. it doesnt mean easier digestion makes better to the body in general and provides more vitamins..

cooking is good but we discuss here cooking vegetables i mean salads, carrots, salad leaves etc which is not nessesary

No, I mean cooking vegetables can release more vitamins, minerals and other nutrients from them so the body can digest more of what's in the food and eliminate less of it - this is called bio-availability.

Cooking spinach changes calcium to a form the body can more easily absorb: The Bioavailability of Calcium From Spinach | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

Cooking tomatoes, especially with a fat, like olive oil, makes more lycopene available for the body to absorb: Italian chefs knew it all along: Cooking plump red tomatoes boosts disease-fighting, nutritional power, Cornell researchers say | Cornell Chronicle

Those are a couple of examples off the top of my head. There are others. And many people have pain, gas and other undesirable intestinal effects from eating difficult-to-digest vegetables like cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower. So, while salads are great, eating veggies raw is not necessarily the best option.

well true

bit my question is whats the reason of cooking lettuce and spinach and fresh herbs etc

do you think its worth cooking?

i agree it all depends on the person but i speak in general

and i see your good chef thats why u stick to point that everything must be cooked and aganist veggie policy

Sorry, but I can not digest raw veggies in any form. I would love to have a leaf of lettuce on a tomato, cuke sandwich. But I have enough trouble with just the tomato and peeled cuke.

I take it by your name you are a salesperson of the Vitamix machine. Therefor you are promoting all of its supposed benefits. No one method of preparation can possibly be the one and only approved method. :angel:

I already gave you the reasons. I also said salads are great. I rarely cook lettuce, but I have grilled halved heads of romaine and it's pretty good :)

My point is that your statement that all vegetables are better raw is incorrect.

You're not paying attention to what I said. But that's not surprising since you're apparently only here to try to sell the vitamix theories.

Thank you.
My health issues have nothing to do with eating all vegetation raw. I eat raw tomatoes, cucumbers and even baby spinach leaves. And as much as I love raw carrots, celery, and other salad foods, I will cook them in soups and stews and get the nutrition from them in the broth. :angel:

Addie, I'm a little confused. I intended to reply to the vitamix person and I'm not sure if you were responding to that person or me.

I know you can't eat many raw veggies for medical reasons; same with me. My point to the vitamix seller is still that not all veggies are best eaten raw, even for the majority of the population.

And vitamix seller - I am not a chef. The title you see comes from me being a long-time member of this forum.

Last edited:
Addie, I'm a little confused. I intended to reply to the vitamix person and I'm not sure if you were responding to that person or me.

I know you can't eat many raw veggies for medical reasons; same with me. My point to the vitamix seller is still that not all veggies are best eaten raw, even for the majority of the population.

And vitamix seller - I am not a chef. The title you see comes from me being a long-time member of this forum.

I was thanking you for your response to Vitamix. The rest of my response was in general to the forum. But mostly to Vitamix again. I guess I was intending to agree with what you had been saying all along. That there are more ways than eating raw roughage to get your nutrition. If there is a side, Go GG! You can present an argument better than me. :angel:

I was thanking you for your response to Vitamix. The rest of my response was in general to the forum. But mostly to Vitamix again. I guess I was intending to agree with what you had been saying all along. That there are more ways than eating raw roughage to get your nutrition. If there is a side, Go GG! You can present an argument better than me. :angel:

Thanks, Addie :)

Back
Top Bottom