"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Vegetarian/Vegan

Old 09-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Don't forget that different parts of this country have very different ideas as to how the vegis should be after cooking. Green beans can be crisp tender (my choice) or cooked to pale green mush as many southern folks prefer.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Sometimes, it takes me a couple of days to cook veggies...too many veggies from the garden, not enough hours in the day.
I think the OP is asking about a meal's worth, not a winter's worth

Old 09-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Don't forget that different parts of this country have very different ideas as to how the vegis should be after cooking. Green beans can be crisp tender (my choice) or cooked to pale green mush as many southern folks prefer.
The OP asked for well-cooked, so that's how I answered.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hi Kenny, I like to take a bunch of veggies and fruit (apples, carrots, beets, cucumber, celery, spinach or swiss chard leaves) and put them through my juicer. That way, I can get a whole lot of veggie and fruit servings in on glass. I will use the pulp in soup (or recycle it into eggs by feeding it to my chickens).
For the OP's benefit - you don't get the fiber in the food by just consuming the juice.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
For the OP's benefit - you don't get the fiber in the food by just consuming the juice.
Agree--but the pulp goes in soup. I got the impression the OP isn't a big fan of veggies (whereas, I eat more veggies than meat or carbs). I haven't met a veggie yet that I don't like...bananas and starfruit, on the other hand...
Old 09-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Agree--but the pulp goes in soup. I got the impression the OP isn't a big fan of veggies (whereas, I eat more veggies than meat or carbs). I haven't met a veggie yet that I don't like...bananas and starfruit, on the other hand...
Like I said, that was for the OP's benefit. We know you eat 15 servings of veggies per day
Old 09-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The OP asked for well-cooked, so that's how I answered.
The OP also states that he/she is not an English speaker so it's not really safe to assume that "well cooked" means exactly that.

It's hard enough for those of us with English as a first language to keep all the verbs, adverbs, nouns, etc., straight, much less those that speak it as a second language. You wouldn't believe some of the things I hear every day from ESOLs that make me go "what was that?" and language is a HUGE part of my job. Just to clarify, not putting ESOLs down. I have a huge respect for anybody that is fluent or mostly fluent in more than 1 language since my Spanish and Italian are/were bare minimum necessities since I've forgotten nearly all of the Italian due to non-use.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
The OP also states that he/she is not an English speaker so it's not really safe to assume that "well cooked" means exactly that.
He won't die of food poisoning, so I think it's safe enough From hosting six exchange students, I learned lots about ESL. I just took him at his word. If he tries it and doesn't like it, he can certainly try other suggestions.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
1. in general how long does it take to cook vegetables before it is well cooked? does it depend on the type of vegetables?

2. what is the average daily intake (in gram) of vegetables for health / balanced diet? I will stick to minimum because I hate vegetables but I want to be healthy.

3. There are many many kinds of vegetables but is it OK to only stick to one or two types of them I like? or is it MUCH better to take it all different types of vegetalbes

4. what is the English name for the following vegetable? (I am not English speaker)

"In general" isn't possible for vegetables. It depends on
a) the vegetable
and
b) how you are cooking it.

If I was boiling or steaming greens, such as members of the cabbage family only take a very few minutes. They are often best served still with a bit of a bite. And if boiling do so in a small amount of water and have the water boiling before you add the veg. Spinach is the exception. It's best cooked quickly in just the water that adheres to the leaves after washing (ie no water in the pan). Basically, you are steaming it in its own juices. I add a large lump of butter (w-e-ll - the spinach is good for you and you have to take the odd risk in life )

Root veg (potatoes, carrots, parsnips) require longer cooking than greens and longer if you are roasting them than if you boil them. Personally, I feel that steaming potatoes, etc., takes too long and I have a life so I usually boil small potatoes in their skins. I only usually want one potato so if I want a jacket potato I do it in the microwave (runs to hide behind the sofa to avoid the barrage of rolling pins and sharp knives flying through the air) as it's not worth having the oven on for the time it takes for cooking jackets.

I have not bothered to talk about kale as it's horrible and only fit for cattle food! Don't care if it has all sorts of nutritional value - let it do the cows good.

If you don't like veg it's possible that you've only had them boiled to death and served up soggy and overcooked - were you brought up on British school dinners?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Lots of us do one or two potatoes in the microwave instead of the oven.

Tags
cook, vegetables