"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Vegetarian/Vegan

Old 09-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Where did so many people get the idea that DC members don't take shortcuts? I'm bewildered.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I have not bothered to talk about kale as it's horrible and only fit for cattle food! Don't care if it has all sorts of nutritional value - let it do the cows good.
Until we decided to try growing kale a few years ago, We did not like it. We would feed it to our dogs as part of their veggie mix. The reason I did not like it was it was tough, cloyingly over powering (smelly) when cooked, and well, too strong a taste for my liking. We now grow three or four varieties of kale every summer. I have fallen in love with the Russian purple and a black variety that doesn't look like kale at all. The best kale is baby kale, followed by kale following the frost. Or, to put the kale in the freezer for about 30 minutes right after it is picked. That sweetens the kale. I'm always sad when the kale dies back in November-December. My go-to steamed veggie for breakfast is kale. But, I never buy it in the store. It is always too tough and wretched tasting.

However, I did like kale when it was made as GrŁnkohl mit Pinkel. I couldn't get enough of this when I ate it in Northern Germany. I can still recall the texture and the taste. It was soooo good. I have a couple of Pinkel recipes that I might try next time I make sausage if I can find all the ingredients.

Gr√ľnkohl mit Pinkel nach Bremer Art (Rezept mit Bild) | Chefkoch.de

For those who can read German, you will notice that the recipe includes the requirement to use kale after there has been frost. The sausage is the key and that is what makes it different than just kale and any old sausage one pot. Each butcher has their own recipe and it typically is only available from ?February - March.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
3. There are many many kinds of vegetables but is it OK to only stick to one or two types of them I like? or is it MUCH better to take it all different types of vegetalbes

The usual advice is to eat a mixture of colours to get the best nutritional benefit from your consumption of fruit and vegetables. See this link:

Fruits & Veggies More MattersFruit and Veggie Color List : Fruits & Veggies More Matters : Health Benefits of Fruits & Vegetables

The more veg and fruits you eat the better and the more balanced your diet. In the UK they say a minimum of 5-a-day but other countries recommend more than that. The slimming club that i use when I need to lose some weight recommend that your plate should be at least one third vegetables and/or fruit at every meal.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Lots of us do one or two potatoes in the microwave instead of the oven.
There was a thread some time back where some people got a bit excited about cooking jacket potatoes in the M/W
Old 11-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

i think vegetables not need to cook

you kill the originality and vitamix in in becomes less
Old 11-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitamixforsale1 View Post
i think vegetables not need to cook

you kill the originality and vitamix in in becomes less
Actually, cooking changes the chemical form of some vitamins and other nutrients when vegetables are cooked, making them more easily absorbed by the body. Cooking also kills pathogens that may be on the veggies and makes them easier to digest.

This isn't true of all of them, of course, but in general, cooking improves getting nutrition from foods.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

i mean cooking vegetables not cooking in general thats first thing dont mess it up
Cooking also kills pathogens that may be on the veggies and makes them easier to digest. it doesnt mean easier digestion makes better to the body in general and provides more vitamins..

cooking is good but we discuss here cooking vegetables i mean salads, carrots, salad leaves etc which is not nessesary
Old 11-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

if you mean cooking potatoes etc messed potatoes yes true this is easier to digest but if u mean cooking or fry pepper or cabbage or union or salad leaves this is not needed at all better it raw or make salads
Old 11-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
if you mean cooking potatoes etc messed potatoes yes true this is easier to digest but if u mean cooking or fry pepper or cabbage or union or salad leaves this is not needed at all better it raw or make salads
Sorry, but I can not digest raw veggies in any form. I would love to have a leaf of lettuce on a tomato, cuke sandwich. But I have enough trouble with just the tomato and peeled cuke.

I take it by your name you are a salesperson of the Vitamix machine. Therefor you are promoting all of its supposed benefits. No one method of preparation can possibly be the one and only approved method.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
i mean cooking vegetables not cooking in general thats first thing dont mess it up
Cooking also kills pathogens that may be on the veggies and makes them easier to digest. it doesnt mean easier digestion makes better to the body in general and provides more vitamins..

cooking is good but we discuss here cooking vegetables i mean salads, carrots, salad leaves etc which is not nessesary

No, I mean cooking vegetables can release more vitamins, minerals and other nutrients from them so the body can digest more of what's in the food and eliminate less of it - this is called bio-availability.

Cooking spinach changes calcium to a form the body can more easily absorb: The Bioavailability of Calcium From Spinach | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

Cooking tomatoes, especially with a fat, like olive oil, makes more lycopene available for the body to absorb: Italian chefs knew it all along: Cooking plump red tomatoes boosts disease-fighting, nutritional power, Cornell researchers say | Cornell Chronicle

Those are a couple of examples off the top of my head. There are others. And many people have pain, gas and other undesirable intestinal effects from eating difficult-to-digest vegetables like cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower. So, while salads are great, eating veggies raw is not necessarily the best option.

Tags
cook, vegetables