"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Vegetarian/Vegan

Old 09-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

In general, how long does it take to cook vegetables?

1. in general how long does it take to cook vegetables before it is well cooked? does it depend on the type of vegetables?

2. what is the average daily intake (in gram) of vegetables for health / balanced diet? I will stick to minimum because I hate vegetables but I want to be healthy.

3. There are many many kinds of vegetables but is it OK to only stick to one or two types of them I like? or is it MUCH better to take it all different types of vegetalbes

4. what is the English name for the following vegetable? (I am not English speaker)

Old 09-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi, Kenny. Yes, the time it takes depends on the density of the vegetable. Recipes usually specify how long to cook veggies. In a stir-fry, for example, you would cook dense veggies like broccoli and carrots first, then celery and onion, then bell peppers or zucchini. Potatoes can take 15-20 minutes to boil, or 45 minutes to an hour to bake.

Five to nine servings is the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables per day. Weight will vary depending on what it is. A serving is a single piece of fruit or about teacup full of veggies.

It's better to have a variety of veggies because different ones have different nutrients or different amounts of nutrients in them. I've found that I often like a mixture of veggies better than a single type. For example, I don't like zucchini much by itself, but if I sauté it with onions, garlic and red bell pepper, I enjoy it much more.

I believe that is bok choy, a Chinese vegetable. You can use the stalks like celery. Cook the leaves separately, or add them later in a stir-fry or sauté, because they will cook much faster.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
Executive Chef

That's Choy Sum. Bok choy is darker with wider white stalks.....Same cooking method, though. Flavor is a bit more sharper with a slightly bitter taste. My favorite green....
Old 09-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Kenny, I like to take a bunch of veggies and fruit (apples, carrots, beets, cucumber, celery, spinach or swiss chard leaves) and put them through my juicer. That way, I can get a whole lot of veggie and fruit servings in on glass. I will use the pulp in soup (or recycle it into eggs by feeding it to my chickens).

I like beans, pea pods, and broccoli on the al dente side.

Here are some links on how to get more veggies in your diet:

Eat Your Vegetables: 15 Tips for Veggie Haters

Hidden Vegetable Recipes - How to Hide Vegetables in Food - Redbook

Recipes That Hide Vegetables | Mom

What if I Don't Like Vegetables? | Paleo Leap

Recipes With Hidden Fruits and Veggies | Reader's Digest
Old 09-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
That's Choy Sum. Bok choy is darker with wider white stalks.....Same cooking method, though. Flavor is a bit more sharper with a slightly bitter taste. My favorite green....
Thanks. I had a feeling that wasn't right - I've grown bok choy - but couldn't think of another one.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Thanks. I had a feeling that wasn't right - I've grown bok choy - but couldn't think of another one.
Years ago, I had it a couple of times in a certain Chinese restaurant, and decided that it was my favorite green. I searched it out, found out the name, and where to get it. My local Wal mart has it, of all places...
Old 09-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

These type of vege's don't take that long. 3 minutes at the most.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:43 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Sometimes, it takes me a couple of days to cook veggies...too many veggies from the garden, not enough hours in the day.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:48 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Lots of vegis taste better raw. We get most of our vegis raw in salads. Also, as GG mentioned, some are better mixed with others. I really dislike eating a chunk of green pepper, but I like the flavour it adds to a salad, as long as it's julienned (cut into very thin strips).

Don't forget tomato/spaghetti sauce. First, lots of tomato, add onion, chopped celery, mushrooms zucchini, olives, or some other vegi.

Another way we get vegis is putting them on sandwiches. Lettuce, sprouts, tomato, cucumber are great as garnish on a sandwich. I also make tuna or chicken salad that's about 1/3 meat and 2/3 chopped scallions and celery.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:42 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Sometimes, it takes me a couple of days to cook veggies...too many veggies from the garden, not enough hours in the day.

lol.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, vegetables