"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Vegetarian/Vegan

Old 12-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Proud American

ISO help with vegetarian fare.

Where must I put this question?

Mamma thinks it is a good idea for to help Gwen fix nice vegetarian dishes and for getting good ideas from all of you.

I need help for this.

Please move this to where it belongs.

Thank you!

With love,
~Cat

Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I think it's in the right place

You might consider buying her a subscription to a vegetarian magazine for Christmas. This one is popular: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/

This provides more context than just a list of recipes. It has information on ingredients, techniques, etc., that, for me, make the best kind of learning materials for cooking.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Sous Chef

There are tons of veg food blogs out there. Here's a few to get you started:
Herbivoracious
Vahrevah (Indian blog with tons of veg recipes)
My New Roots
Post Punk Kitchen
Meatless Monday

If you can't find something good between those sites you aren't looking very hard!
Old 12-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Where must I put this question?

Mamma thinks it is a good idea for to help Gwen fix nice vegetarian dishes and for getting good ideas from all of you.

I need help for this.

Please move this to where it belongs.

Thank you!

With love,
~Cat
Can you be more specific? I have lots of delicious vegetarian recipes stemming from pasta to soup to bean main dishes, plus vegetable side dishes.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
Can you be more specific? I have lots of delicious vegetarian recipes stemming from pasta to soup to bean main dishes, plus vegetable side dishes.
Gwen is a horrible cook. She tries really hard, but what she doesn't scorch to death tastes awful. She BOILS Brussels sprouts!

She usually eats prepared things, which is why she hasn't poisoned herself yet, and when she does cook...she likes to SHARE.

I have a new 5-burner gas stove which she loves, and Mamma thought it would be a good idea for me to help her learn the solid basics of cooking, using very simple vegetarian recipes. She eats dairy, such as eggs, etc., and eats very little meat. She had a bite of turkey and a bite of ham and a bite of the turkey sausage stuffing at our Thanksgiving meal, but mostly, her plate was loaded with the vegetables.

I love these suggestions! A subscription would be a very nice Christmas present for her. The blogs are also good.

I think she needs to learn better cooking techniques and the uses of herbs and spices. If she and I can cook these things together, and I can show her, I'll learn more about vegetarian cooking for to please her when she is here, and she'll see the difference and she'll be happier.

With love,
~Cat
Old 12-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Executive Chef

This is a great version of chili.

TNT No Meat Chili
Old 12-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I just wanted to mention that eggs are not a dairy product. Only milk and milk products like butter, cheese and cream are dairy items.

Eggs and dairy became conflated because in the "olden days," milkmaids often took care of chickens and gathered eggs, but eggs come from birds, obviously, and not mammals
Old 12-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I just wanted to mention that eggs are not a dairy product. Only milk and milk products like butter, cheese and cream are dairy items.

Eggs and dairy became conflated because in the "olden days," milkmaids often took care of chickens and gathered eggs, but eggs come from birds, obviously, and not mammals
except for a duck billed platypus and the echidna
Old 12-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
except for a duck billed platypus and the echidna
Which are commonly found on Romanian tables, I'm sure, but not so frequently in the U.S., as far as I know
Old 12-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Which are commonly found on Romanian tables, I'm sure, but not so frequently in the U.S., as far as I know
You don't want to know what's on some Romanian tables.

With love,
~Cat

Tags
vegetarian