ISO Vegan Risotto Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crono760

Cook
I have to cook for a vegan in a few days, and I'm looking for a good risotto recipe. I don't want to use anything like imitation cheese, and I make a really good vegetable stock. But a standard risotto is so...plain to me. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could spice it up a bit? I'm thinking truffle oil...

Mike

How about making a standard risotto with veggie broth and without cheese, then stir in some roasted red peppers and roasted garlic, chopped calamata olives...

Ooh, that does sound good. I'd forgotten that I'll be in a great surplus of roasted red peppers (I...just love making them :-p)

Thanks!

Mike

Andy's idea sounds tasty. :)

Truffle oil is a fabulous idea!

I love risotto, its one of my favorite things to make. Making it vegan is very easy. I like these combinations...

Butternut Squash, Sage & Hazelnuts
Porcini, Caramelized Onions & Sage
Tomatoes and Basil (my fav)
Mushrooms and Sun Dried Tomatoes

I have had truffled risotto - it is WONDERFUL!!!!! You could include shallots and a host of this person's favorite veggies.

spring onions
sweet red peppers
asparagus
mushrooms (sauteed first)

so many to choose from

Rehydrate dried porcini mushrooms, and use the liquid along with a variety of roasted/sauteed mushrooms for a wild mushroom risotto. That's probably the tastiest non-meat product risotto there is.

I have to cook for a vegan in a few days, and I'm looking for a good risotto recipe. I don't want to use anything like imitation cheese, and I make a really good vegetable stock. But a standard risotto is so...plain to me. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could spice it up a bit? I'm thinking truffle oil...

Mike

Saffron
fresh parsley
shallots
peas (similar to risi e bisi)
asparagus
leeks
tomatoes
shrimp
Shrooms (already mentioned)

I'm liking the idea of nuts. I've been looking for a way to put in some protein :)

Mike

I promised myself that I'd use only ingredients that aren't traditionally "meat substitutes". Despite the fact that tofu isn't just a substitute, I still don't think I could use it :) Thanks for the idea, though!

Mike

:chef:many good suggestions...I like sweet potato and roasted pecans-a pinch of allspice...

use good olive oil, your veg stock, a little white wine, saffron, and then there are all kinds of veg to use roasted garlic, shallots, peas...mushrooms of various kinds sauteed and added in the last few minutes. It will be wonderful.

Butternut squash is really good in a risotto. If you roast it first, then add to the risotto rice. It's lovely

butternut squash and hazelnuts are awesome together, or (and I did this recently and wowed even my meat lovers) roast delicata squash (the green striped ones) and serve a mushroom and spinach risotto in it.

Back
Top Bottom