Looking for a Vegan Pasta Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoey

Assistant Cook
Pasta is generally made with white flour, salt and an egg. What can I substitue for the egg to make a decent vegan pasta? What works the best, and are their different proportions/ extra ingredients?

I once saw a chef prepare a pasta dough using butternut squash, flour, and water. It wasn't a conventional pasta dough, and would have to be rolled out thicker than regular pasta, but it is totally vegan and looks delicious! You might start searching for something like that. Hope this helps.

Vegan Pasta

I know you were thinking fresh pasta but a lot of dried pastas for sale are made with just water.

For home-made, you could get some of the effect of the egg by including a little (and I do mean a little) bit of vegetable-derived lecithin along with your flour-water mixture. Lecithin is the stuff in egg yolks that gives them their dispersion characteristics, so it should do the same for you in pasta. Might be worth a try.

Another possibility: Substitute 1 heaping tbsp of soy flour for each egg called for in recipe - works beautifully in baked goods/pancakes so might work in pasta too. Let us know what works!

PS White flour is such blah stuff (imho)! Around here it's whole wheat all the way . . . :D

I would go for eggless gnocchi, takes a bit of practice and to go eggless you have to get the right balance of the other ingredients.

Vegetarian pasta

Real pasta does not contain any egg...the one that does is a modern interpretation of "pasta" made for immediate consumption.

Traditional pasta is semolina and water ONLY, but this needs to be made the day before use and dried overnight.

As I say, you add an egg ONLY if you need to use the past on the same days it's made.

It's quite easy to acheive vegan pasta. You could always go the mega-healthy route and make noodles from zucchini and butternut squash - but you don't have to go the healthy route.

Eggless gnocchi is always an option. I suggest adding a teaspoon or two of olive oil to keep the dough workable.

Growing up with an Italian grandmother (who was raised in a rural / poor area of Italy) I learned to make eggless pasta quite early on, and it is actually more common than egg pasta. You don't need eggs, and really you don't even need to dry it overnight. Make it (water, flour, olive oil, salt) let the dough set for a while (1 hour) and then make it into pasta and cook! :)

Pasta is generally made with white flour, salt and an egg. What can I substitue for the egg to make a decent vegan pasta? What works the best, and are their different proportions/ extra ingredients?
Not all pasta is made using eggs. Could you use one of the vegan-friendly egg replacers? Alternatively, use a recipe for "ordinary" pasta but for a balanced meal you'd need some sort of protein, perhaps in the sauce or with a parmesan substitute on top.

Wow, this is one old thread. Predates me on this board. Never used eggs making pasta. Water, flour, salt, fat of a sort.

Don't think Zoey is going to get the message, being a one post wonder from 2003.;)

Delicious Vegan Pasta: -

Sweet Potato Alfredo
Vegan Lemon Asparagus
Broccoli Walnut Pesto
Creamy Vegan Garlic Pasta with Roasted Tomatoe
Super Quick Tomato Basil Cream Pasta
Super Creamy Vegan Mac N Cheese

You probably won't get an answer from Zoey since he/she hasn't been here since the original post in 2003.

You have to make sure all excess liquid is out of any vege you add, as well as pureeing or chopping it extremely finely. I use egg(s) so can't really comment on stability without them, but aren't there vegan egg substitutes?

As an alternative, you can get a spiralizer and spiralize sweet potatoes, large zucchini, large carrots, large yellow squash, regular potatoes in spaghetti-like strands or noddle-like strands and use them instead. Vegetarian and vegan recipes for these types of "spaghetti" are numerous.

Oh, the vege sphaghetti/noodles hold together better if you bake them in the oven with S and P and a bit of oil olive. The noodles you can gently boil or even serve raw if you are using carrot, zucchini, or yellow squash.

We have an attachment for our Kitchen Aid that spiralizes veges, but there are hand-cranked ones as well, just be sure you get a decent one that gets good reviews, otherwise it's an exercise in frustration from what I understand.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom