Question About Fennel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fennel

I also used fennel for the first time recently...had never tasted it or bought and chopped it. I would also liken it more to celery (color and crunch) than to onion, even though it has a bulb. I used this veg in a tomoto soup with chunks of potato...it was very good. Mild licorice flavor very pleasing. Good luck.

I'm about to buy fennel for the first time and I have one question. Is it eaten and used in meals pretty much the same way you would use an onion?
It's more like aniseed flavoured celery. Personally I prefer it cooked but lots of people use it raw in salads.

I eat it like celery. Get a dip or simply a vinaigrette, Dip it and bite. I like large chunks (celery stalk size) cause you can taste the full flavor better that way. When I was a kid, mum used to always put it in the salad along with tomatoes and lettuce. I always fished out the fennel. Love it!

Fennel: Dip in Vinaigrette & Enjoy

I eat it like celery. Get a dip or simply a vinaigrette, Dip it and bite. I like large chunks (celery stalk size) cause you can taste the full flavor better that way. When I was a kid, mum used to always put it in the salad along with tomatoes and lettuce. I always fished out the fennel. Love it!

Yes, it is wonderful this way .. I like my crudities this way ..

I also like it with oranges and radicchio and rocket with Evoo & Champagne or Rasberry Vinegar or Balsamic ..

Last edited:
Fennel is crunchy, slightly sweet and popular in Mediterranean cuisines.
Fennel relief from anemia and increases the brain function, so you can use it in your food and recipes.

Fennel is crunchy, slightly sweet and popular in Mediterranean cuisines.
Fennel relief from anemia and increases the brain function, so you can use it in your food and recipes.
Fennel is delicious but it's not a treatment for anemia, which has several causes. A person with anemia needs a doctor to help figure out what's causing it and thus what the best treatment is.

I rather like fennel with fresh salmon, fennel braised in EVOO with black pepper, salt, fennel seeds and origano, I like it sliced very thin in a simple salad (lettuce - not iceberg, I hate that, and grated carrots), I like it cooked with carrots as a simple pasta dish, and I like it just as it is for a snack. I always use the green feathery fennel tops - there are plenty of uses for that, but they're pretty good as a garnish.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom