The style vegetarian: my story of my father

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benedotta

Assistant Cook
in Italy the numbers of people that is vegetarian is very small . in fact we are the countries that love the meats and whatever that derived by animals. but there are people as my father that is vegetarian by 30 years .
for me , when I was a child , was almost like a shame . with time I changed my idea and now i am proud of my father.
his diet is composed by:
the morning he has a big breakfast ( which is rare in Italy) whit orange, yogurt , banana , musli , rice milk, tart fruit and so on..
at lunch he eat pasta with vegetable and cheese , after a big salad and a lot of fruit,
in the evening he eat rice, farro, barley . vegetable and fruit .

i love this way of eating but I could never change my life so radically.

and you? :):chef:

doc, the next time you need to "rompere coglioni" with your dad, point at his food and say "that's not food. that's what food eats!"

My mother was a vegetarian mostly because she simply did not like red meat or fowl. But stand back if she had a bacon, tomato, cheese sandwich or a plate with a grilled lobster tail sitting beside a bowl of drawn butter.

Ive been vegetarian more than half my life.
When I first became vegetarian, it was not a popular decision, and most stores didn't accommodate this. I think this is one of the reasons I decided to learn how to cook for myself, since there was very little variety of good vegetarian alternatives. These days, you can go into any major market, and there are unlimited selections of vegetarian alternatives. Being vegetarian also forced me to look into other countries, cultures cuisines to add variety to the typically boring vegetarian diet. That being said, Benedotta, I would love for you to share some of your fathers Italian Vegetarian recipes ( if you can think of any), Especially pasta recipes.

Larry

PETA's headquarters is in nearby Norfolk. We call it People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.

I don't believe in cutting entire categories of food out of the diet, so I enjoy all kinds of yummy foods.

The redneck chapter just calls it people eating tasty animals. Extra verbiage! We don't need no extra stinking verbiage!:mrgreen:

I salute your father and find his lifestyle interesting.
I must assume living in Italy lends to an easier time staying vegetarian?
Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables year round?
Does he eat seafood?

My wife could easily never eat any kind of meat again.
I am almost ashamed to say, I might also be able to. Naw just kidding. But I need to try and cook better healthier foods for my wife and MIL.
Its the same every night. A meat and three with some kind of bread. Not exactly diverse. I do go above the norm on some nights, but Im not real young any more and mostly try and make something tasty, yet fast.

As I age, I have less and less desire for meat. The rising prices have something to do with it. I rarely buy it anymore. I buy some fish, when they have something fresh. Meat just doesn't appeal much. Certainly beef and chicken don't. Consequently, I've learned to make some very deeply flavored vegetable stock that makes all the difference in soups, rice, quinoa, etc. I find that, for vegetable only things, umami is awfully important, and I keep miso, kelp and bonito flakes to deepen flavors. And fish sauce. The Romans knew what they were about with the garums.

Back
Top Bottom