"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Vegetarian/Vegan
Old 05-21-2005, 12:06 AM   #11
Senior Cook
I was thinking about you yesterday. Perhaps a kind of inbetween stage would be a good thing. I know plenty of people that only eat fish and chicken.

Good luck with it all!

"A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness"----Ella Schiaparelli
Pam Leavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:47 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
Send a message via AIM to Hermione
I am a vegitarian, although right now I am eating meat on my doctor's orders . There are many reasons people go on vegitarian diets. Some people want to lose weight and be healthier. Some are concerned with animal rights and some are concerned with human rights. Some pople just want to aviod the cost of beef or mad cow disease. Some people may do it because it's a trend.

There are also varying degrees of vegitarianism. Some people are vegans, they eat no meat, no diary, no eggs, no gelition, or honey...nothing that comes from an animal. On the opposite end of the spectrume are people who just don't eat red meat but still call themselves vegitarians.

Protien, vitiam B12 (found only in red meat) and iron and big deals for veggies but these can be solves by a balanced diet and a multi vitamin. You would also be surprised by how many veggies also have minerals in them, for example spinich is very rich in iron.

I would recommend doing some reading some nutrition and vegitarianism before making the desicion to make the leap. Of course the gradual suggesion is an excellant one, perhaps cutting one animal a week or even one serving a week, then you won't even notice it.

I would recommend the following books, I know they are a bit unconventional, but they are very information. Give them a chance before deciding they don't fit your age group/medical problems therefore contain no knowledge to you.

Here is what the new food pyramid has to say on their meat/beans page:

Hermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 03:32 PM   #13
Master Chef
Thanks for the info, Hermione
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 10:01 PM   #14
Head Chef
Paraphrasing this: There is no plant or animal that has been shown capable of producing B12. The exclusive source of B12 appears to be tiny microorganisms like bacteria, yeasts, molds, and algae.

Snapper is an excellent source of B12. Shrimp, wild salmon, halibut and cod are all good sources, as well as yogurt, milk, cheese and eggs. Many types of cereals are fortified with B12 also.

In general, tofus, tempehs, and sea vegetables tend to be more consistent sources of B-12 than misos, tamaris, and shoyus. Depending upon the medium in which they are grown, brewer's and nutritional yeast can also be significant sources of B-12 in a strict vegetarian diet.

Another interesting tidbit I found: Vegans who previously ate animal-based foods may have vitamin B12 stores that will not be depleted for 20 to 30 years or more.

Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:04 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
HTC- how's the transformation going? I decided to stop eating meat in November of 2004. I only miss it on holidays (the tofurkey didn't cut it), and sometimes I crave McDonalds (I know it's gross, but I can't help it!!) The cravings always go away eventually. We vegetarians are lucky because today we have so many alternatives to meat, and we have so many ways to access great vegetarian recipes.
What helps me stay veg is thinking about the way the animals live and then the way they die. I don't know which is worse! Of course, the choice is yours, and it is wise to consider all of the effects it may have on your body. Have you talked to your doctor about it?
MellieKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #16
Master Chef
A vegan acquaintance I had used a lot of products I'd never heard of and that you'd never find outside of a very extensive health food store (I did the interview a long time ago so can't remember, but even in a decent sized town she had to mail order or go to a large city to find them) to find certain ingredients. Don't get me wrong, all "natural", just not commonly available. A lot of the health problems vegetarian friends I've had are caused by vegetarianism combined with fussy eating. I don't like beans. I don't like rice. I don't like tomatoes (I've heard all when trying to fix a dish they can eat) .... when you're through, there's no way you're going to get the nutrition your body needs. I think a vegetarian (whatever particular category) needs to learn more cooking methods and to enjoy more varieties of foods than an omnivore in order to get all the nutrition.

I chime in firmly with the gradual approach many have espoused. Many acquaintances think that because I like meat, we eat it 3X/day. In fact, we have at least a couple of meatless days a week and never eat it 3x/day ... not planned, just like it that way.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:57 AM   #17
Head Chef
Be prepared to take vitamins/supplements if you go veggie- there are many nutrients you can't get from plants. For instance, you'll get virtually no truly bioavailable Omega 3's from any plant, including flaxseed, etc. Also many protiens can't be obtained from any plant or seed, including nuts and soybeans.

If you're not a militant vegan, you could supplement your veggie diet with pharmaceutical grade fish oil caps and good multivitamins.

Good luck if you go that route. That leaves more meat for me!
If we're not supposed to eat animals, then how come they're made out of meat?
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #18
Assistant Cook
Thumbs up Go for it!

Im a vegetarean too, but i eat fish, there is more to being vegetarean than you think, its not just about not eating meat, you need to start eating beans (not the tinned ones) but real soy beans etc. You need to take pills and buy substitute meat products but its a pure thing to do and i would totally respect you and support u 100% if you did it!
KidKook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
What?! And vacate your position at the top of the food chain?!

Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Originally Posted by KidKook View Post
Im a vegetarean too, but i eat fish, there is more to being vegetarean than you think, its not just about not eating meat, you need to start eating beans (not the tinned ones) but real soy beans etc. You need to take pills and buy substitute meat products but its a pure thing to do and i would totally respect you and support u 100% if you did it!

I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for six years. I never needed any pills or fake meat. I felt really healthy. I only quit being a vegetarian because I never stopped craving meat. I suspect it isn't ideal for everyone and it may depend on your ancestry. My ancestors are from the Scandinavia. I don't think they had a lot of vegetarian options in winter.

What does a Native American (or a lot of other kinds of natives) call a vegetarian?

Bad hunter.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote