"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Vegetarian/Vegan

Old 05-16-2012, 03:23 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
I've been a vegetarian for maybe six months now. It can be challenging at times, but overall it's not too bad. I've always gravitated towards vegetarian food anyway so it's been a pretty easy change for me. However, I'm not a full vegetarian since I still do eat seafood, though I try and keep it to shellfish and cephalopods vs. bony fish. I think seafood is one of the healthiest things you can eat and I can't really have any moral qualms with eating fish, especially shellfish and cephalopods. Like, how cruel can it possibly be to eat a mussel or a clam? They don't even have brains, and barely a real nervous system.
hey mayo
guess you could say that about an awful lot of people but i guess it'd still be slightly rude to drop 'em alive & kickin' into a pot of boiling water......or maybe not!!
problem with a lot of fish/shellfish that you buy these days is that it is farmed to keep costs down & a lot of antibiotics/hormones are pumped into the water to speed up growth & prevent disease in confined quarters.brings you back to what steve & i said about free range/organic etc.i eat a lot of fish/seafood but try to buy wild,sustainably sourced or organically farmed whenever/wherever possible.
so,if you notice a second head starting to grow out of your left shoulder either go easy on the farmed shrimp or keep eating & you've gotta friend for life........!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #32
Senior Cook

I also think the REASONS why one wants to go vegetarian make a big difference in how difficult &/or how intensely one must scrutinize ones choices.

If you're doing it for health reasons only, than there really isn't a serious need to cut out eggs or to heavily scrutinize ingredients in sauces, etc. And if you do occasionally enjoy a seafood or meat meal, it's not going to kill you (although it may make you unpopular with other vegetarians - lol).

If you're doing it for ethical reasons, well then you really have to put your nose to the grindstone to be sure you're not consuming any product that contains anything animal-based. This includes such common items as Worcestershire sauce, Asian fish sauce, non-vegetable-stock-based soups, etc., etc., & can make restaurant dining iffy unless one frequents reputable vegetarian restaurants where absolutely no animal products - no matter how small - are used. For instance, while these days it's relatively easy to order a vegetarian selection at nearly any restaurant, unless the restaurant certifies the dish as 100% vegetarian/vegan, you'll never be absolutely sure re: sauces, salad dressings, as regular restaurants simply consider "vegetarian" as "non-meat" in it's most basic form, nothing else. It's just the way of the world.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

I must admit, I like meat. That is what I cut into first on the plate. The DH starts with his veggies, ends with his meat. I end with my veggies. Perhaps he is a natural vegetarian, whereas I am not?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #34
Master Chef

I am not a vegetarian and I do enjoy meat a few times a month. I am just turned off by the disgusting industry that is needed to support our meat eating habits. The pink slime company AFA was one of the largest producers of ground beef in the US, they produced 500,000,000 pounds of ground beef each year, yes 500 million pounds! My mind and body can't handle that, I need food that is produced on a more human scale. The small producers that I try to buy from are not perfect but, the problems they face are problems that I can understand. I get to look over the entire operation from the front door to the back door and I can see how things are done and how clean and organized things appear to be. It may not work for everyone but, so far it is working for me!
Old 05-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Mayo - If your still eating seafood then technically you are not a vegetarian.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Right, which is why I said in my post "However, I'm not a full vegetarian since I still do eat seafood, though I try and keep it to shellfish and cephalopods vs. bony fish."

Technically I'm an "ovo-lacto pescetarian." But I hate using that phrase and having to explain it to people since most people have never heard that phrase before. I say vegetarian because it's usually easier on everyone involved. It also doesn't sound nearly as pretentious.
I don't eat farmed seafood if I can help it, though I've read that farmed mussels are better than wild.
Don't get me wrong, 95% of what I eat is fully vegetarian. But I don't exclude seafood from my diet.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
I've been a vegetarian for maybe six months now. It can be challenging at times, but overall it's not too bad. I've always gravitated towards vegetarian food anyway so it's been a pretty easy change for me. However, I'm not a full vegetarian since I still do eat seafood, though I try and keep it to shellfish and cephalopods vs. bony fish. I think seafood is one of the healthiest things you can eat and I can't really have any moral qualms with eating fish, especially shellfish and cephalopods. Like, how cruel can it possibly be to eat a mussel or a clam? They don't even have brains, and barely a real nervous system.

I considered going vegetarian because of all the junk they put in meat. But I know it wouldn't last long. I'd be craving a burger before a week was out. Don't want to raise my own food because i don't have the time or patience. But I do know of a least one person who tried going vegetarian and it she said she didn't feel well most of the time. Maybe her body was craving those hormones and steroids they put in meat,
Old 05-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc View Post
But I'm not sure if I want becase of nutritional reasons: don't know how I would have to modify my diet to make sure I get the proper balance of nutrition. I personally like the taste of meat. I don't have to have it at every meal, but don't think it's gross to eat.

Anything I should think about as I consider this???
I have been a vegetarian since I was 11. About nutritional balance, well you need to have protein, carbohydrate, and fat in every meal, same as for non-vegetarians.

Try to learn how to make Indian food, if you dont already know how. There are really great Indian receipes for vegetarians, probably because there are traditionally a lot of vegetarians in India.

Getting enough iron in your diet can be a problem for some vegetarians. I dont seem to experience this problem, but if you do then dont drink coffee or tea close to meal times. And, be sure to include things containing vitimen C in meals, along with foods high in iron.
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc View Post

Anything I should think about as I consider this???
One thing against becomming a vegetarian, is that you will have to put up with a few too many bad jokes about vegetarians on this site. The bad jokes are usually on some posters signatures.
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:55 AM   #40
Assistant Cook

Hello, everybody,

I didn't read the whole discussion and didn't want to open a new one.

Now I am vegetarian when I cook at home (I eat eggs, cheese, drink milk). When I eat at someone else, I don't refuse (except alcool sometimes).

What about if I try to become vegan ? What about proteins ? Lentils are good !