"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Vegetarian/Vegan

Old 09-24-2012, 04:40 AM   #41
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokin View Post
...I am vegetarian when I cook at home (I eat eggs, cheese, drink milk). What about if I try to become vegan ? What about proteins ? Lentils are good !
It's very possible to get enough protein on a vegan diet but you'll need to make more of a concerted effort to get the full “family” of amino acid building blocks which our body uses to manufacture muscle and other vital tissue, and are essential for the body’s repair and regeneration needs. Here's a list of some high protein sources besides the Lentils you mentioned:
1. Quinoa is a complete protein just like meat.
2. Avocado has about 5 grams of protein per 8 ounces
3. Dried Apricots also have 5 grms per 8oz
4. Soy Milk has 7 grams per 8 oz
5. Walnuts, Pistachios, and Almonds (also peanut butter)
6. Tofu and Tempeh has 11 grams of protein in 1 serving
7. Kidney beans have 15 grams per serving
8. Broccoli
9. Steel Cut Oatmeal
10. Chick Peas have 16 grams per serving
11. Low-Carb Flat Breads like whole-grain Tortillas
have 30 grams each (check the nutrition label to verify)
12. Fortified cereals (?)

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:25 AM   #42
Assistant Cook

Hello, mollyane, thank you for your answer.

So, I don't know exactly which amino acids are in which food, especially for the amino acids that are not produced by the body. If I eat lentils and avocados, will I get all the essential amino acids ?

Another question : Is there natural vegan food which contains vitamin B12 and vitamin D ?

Old 09-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Not trying to put anyone down here, but the vegans I know look very unhealthy. Almost cadaver like. The folks who eat a "raw" diet seem to be even worse.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Personally, I eat a lot of veggies and often do "no meat" days...however, I also eat meat. I am a protein addict--I admit it--I don't do coffee, but I love protein. Quinoa is one of my favorite subs for protein HOWEVER because quinoa is a staple in SA and since the popularity of it in NA and Europe has resulted in it being expensive in the countries where it grows, I have limited how often I buy it. Eat local. Eat greens. Eat smart.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Hello, everybody,

I didn't read the whole discussion and didn't want to open a new one.

Now I am vegetarian when I cook at home (I eat eggs, cheese, drink milk). When I eat at someone else, I don't refuse (except alcool sometimes).

What about if I try to become vegan ? What about proteins ? Lentils are good !
Will you still eat meat when you eat at someone else's home?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #46
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Will you still eat meat when you eat at someone else's home?
Heu... difficult to say "no"*. Actually, I don't go often to someone else's home for a meal.

When I go to someone else's home, I eat just a little portion of meat. And a lot of vegetable. So, now I am not an absolute vegetarian.

* Maybe I should say "no" as directly as for alcool, even if people are going to be surprised. "Hey, shokin, you've become vegetarian ! What happened ?" (heu... meat is a waste of food energy ?! I read some articles on the web, why some people become vegan (and cadaveric))
Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #47
Flour Child

Quote:
...When I go to someone else's home, I eat just a little portion of meat. And a lot of vegetable. So, now I am not an absolute vegetarian.
Well, you can call yourself a "nutritarian". That's someone whose focus is on nutrient dense foods...and that's a good way to be.

Regarding your question about amino acids. Our bodies produce around half of the 20+ amino acids we need but the rest comes from the protein we eat found in protein dense foods like meat, eggs, dairy, beans, nuts, and seeds...and quinoa. These are called "essential amino acids" that our bodies must have. If we don't get them then our bodies will begin to break down its proteins in search of the nutrients it needs which will start deteriorating our muscle and metabolism if the protein isn't there.

If you want to know what the essentials are (like lysine), and what foods have it, and what specifically it targets in our health then click on this link:
Essential Amino Acids: Vital for Your Health

But that's complicated so just eat nutrient dense foods that have protein and you should be good. Some people have trouble absorbing the nutrients and then they need supplements.

Oh, and your other 2 questions....
1. Best place to get vitamin D is Krill Oil supplements...
...OH, AND 10 minutes in the sun each day!
2. Best place to get B-12 is Clams! Next are oysters, mussels, octopus...then salmon

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Best place to get B-12 is Clams! Next are oysters, mussels, octopus...then salmon
I always thought the best place to get B-12 was from those bottles that come in 6 and 12 packs.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

I always thought one of the best sources was chicken liver--that's what I've fed my sr. dogs who needed vit B12. Vit-Bs are water-soluable and should be replenished daily. If humans were meant to eat a vegetarian diet, we would not have the teeth that we have.

The Richest Vitamin B Foods
Old 09-25-2012, 05:09 AM   #50
Assistant Cook

mollyanne, thank you for your answer, I will read your link, and eat quinoa and salmon under sun.