"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Vegetarian/Vegan

Old 04-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertwillow View Post
Well. If I ever considered eating fish sauce, I definitely don't anymore. Stink factor? Ewwww lol
My "Squid Brand Fish Sauce (contains no squid)" has an aroma, but I wouldn't say it had a stink factor.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertwillow View Post
Well. If I ever considered eating fish sauce, I definitely don't anymore. Stink factor? Ewwww lol
DW; remember, stink doesn't always mean "bad" in the cullinary vocabulary. Many cheeses fall into the category, stinky cheese, and yet are loved by people all over the world. The same is true of so many things we eat. Onions and garlic are both considered stinky. And yet, when used properly, they add wonderful flavor to the dishes made with them.

I have had and used Poisson sauce (French fish sauce, don't know if I spelled it right). When the bottle was opened, I thought it was one of the more rank odors I'd smelled. When used in the recipe for which it was intended, it was great. I tried it in something else, and added a little to much, and it was terrible.

So, when someone refers to the stink factor of a food, or seasoning, be aware that they may be referring to something that had great potential, when used correctly.

And I know you were being light-hearted in your comments. But I just wanted you to know.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

Hey

Thanks Chief! I didn't explain that too well, as in all Asian food, SE Asian is all about balance. The stink factor is important, coming from dried shrimp, shrimp paste, fish sauce, stocks etc but that's balanced out by the floral fragrant flavours like lemongrass and kaffir lime. One without the other tastes hollow, as much as I love the stink it needs those perfume-like notes to counter act. Yellow beans and Kim-Chi serve a similair purpose in Korean cooking, fermented black beans in Chinese... Etc. All still needs balance tho! Much like serving fresh apple or quince paste with your blue cheese!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

DW; remember, stink doesn't always mean "bad" in the cullinary vocabulary. Many cheeses fall into the category, stinky cheese, and yet are loved by people all over the world. The same is true of so many things we eat. Onions and garlic are both considered stinky. And yet, when used properly, they add wonderful flavor to the dishes made with them.

I have had and used Poisson sauce (French fish sauce, don't know if I spelled it right). When the bottle was opened, I thought it was one of the more rank odors I'd smelled. When used in the recipe for which it was intended, it was great. I tried it in something else, and added a little to much, and it was terrible.

So, when someone refers to the stink factor of a food, or seasoning, be aware that they may be referring to something that had great potential, when used correctly.

And I know you were being light-hearted in your comments. But I just wanted you to know.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Stinky cheese isn't something I eat or buy. I'm very sensitive to smells. I can't use commercial cleaning products, for example (like Clorox spray or Kaboom... Simple Green use to not bother me but now it does).

You should see me cutting up onions! I am constantly turning away or walking away because my eyes and nose are under assault. It's like pepper spray for me. I love the darn things, but cooking with them is painful for me. I'll just have tears pouring out of my eyes and I'll havr to walk away and shut them from the burning. I still cook with them though. I love onions.

Course, I'll take "painful" over "nauseated" which is how "stinky" foods make me feel. Even fresh garlic can be stomach turning sometimes. Horseradish? No way. My boyfriend is banned from eating it when I'm around. Strongly scented leafs like seaweed? Nope, no way!

I live fish/seafood like crabs too but have a hard time with the smell.

I would have my (now ex) husband smell the bag of shredded cheese to make sure it still smelled ok, cause it just always smelled spoiled to me, so I wouldn't use it. I've had to get over that and actually taste the cheese now. I eat less cheese these days lol.

Pitfalls of quitting smoking: You realize how smelly the world is!
Old 12-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Bump!

We kinda dropped this thread...

I want to make some kimchi that my vegetarian and vegan friends can eat (planning a do either over Boxing Day weekend or New Year's Day). Of course I use fish sauce. I was looking at this recipe tonight and was thinking I could also add some Dulse. Any thoughts?

Recipe: Vegan Fish Sauce | The Kitchn

What "colour" of miso--brown, white, or red?

Where are our vegetarian/vegan DCers when we need them! Larry--where are you!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Bump!

We kinda dropped this thread...

I want to make some kimchi that my vegetarian and vegan friends can eat (planning a do either over Boxing Day weekend or New Year's Day). Of course I use fish sauce. I was looking at this recipe tonight and was thinking I could also add some Dulse. Any thoughts?

Recipe: Vegan Fish Sauce | The Kitchn

What "colour" of miso--brown, white, or red?

If I was making that recipe I would go with brown.

But my English language source for Korean food had this posted awhile back. It got good reviews. Topic: vegetarian fish sauce for kimchi - Maangchi.com
Old 12-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post

Actually Im in Boston, at the moment. Just saw Cat Stevens ( Yusuf Islam) in concert and Bob Seger ( and The J Geils Band at Mohegan Sun on Saturday).

But anyway , unfortunately, even when I did eat meat, I never ever tried seafood, so I have absolutely no idea what Fish Sauce tastes like. I did try to make it once from some recipe ( cause I was making a recipe that called for it ) I remember the recipe calling for seaweed and something mushroom related, so it probably was similar to the link that was posted. But , Im not sure how close it actually tastes to fish sauce.

Sorry for not being too helpful
Old 12-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #28
Head Chef

Thai Vegetarian Food Adaptations

Check out this link, it has some vegetarian substitutions for Fish sauce, oyster sauce and shrimp paste. One of the suggestions includes fermented tofu. Just as a word of warning. I have tried fermented tofu and its kinda rough. In some bizarre way, I actually liked it, but it really smells and tastes like rot.

How to Make a Vegetarian Alternative to Fish Sauce [VIDEO] | The Feed

here's and America's Test Kitchen Fish sauce substitution video. Basically water, salt, soy sauce and dried Shitakes. She basically says it doesnt have the same taste as fish sauce, but adds the 'Umami' aspect of fish sauce to the recipe.

Also , i do remember finding a vegetarian bottled fish sauce online, but was unable to find it in any China town Ive been in recently ( New York,Philly and Boston). So may be something can only get online. Im searching now to see what the ingredients in it are .

Never mind, this guy totally ripped it apart.

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog...-possible.html
Old 12-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Well, Larry, I'm totally jealous! (Not about your fish sauce knowlege, about seeing such great musicians!)
Old 12-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Well, Larry, I'm totally jealous! (Not about your fish sauce knowlege, about seeing such great musicians!)

Some people buy fancy cars, other fancy houses, some go out and spend hundreds of dollars on gourmet dinners and wine, Me, I spoil myself going to concerts. If you told me 30 years ago, that in one year( 2014) I would have seen the people that I saw this year live in concert, I would have thought you were crazy

Unfortunately though, as you said, my fish sauce knowledge is a bust..