Vegetarian burgers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Romany123

Senior Cook
Made these up the other day, thought I would share

"Shambles Vegetarian burgers

200g Chick Pease
150g Mashed potatoes
1 tablespoon Oil
150g Onion chopped finely
70g Red Pepper skinned and deseeded chopped finely
1 clove Garlic
½ teaspoon Ground cumin seed
100g Mushrooms chopped finely.
1 tablespoon Tomatoes paste
1 tablespoon Parsley fresh
1 teaspoon Italian mixed herbs
½ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1 pinch Salt
1 pinch Pepper
150g Breadcrumbs
40g Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese

1 Cook the Chickpeas according to instructions, in a blender blender until you have a course mixture set aside
2 Cook and mash the potatoes, set aside
3 Heat the oil in a skillet and cook the onions 3 to 4 minutes untill soft, now add the pepper mushrooms and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
4 Pre heat the oven to 400f
5 In a large bowl add everything but the chedder cheese together and mix by hand, form into 4 Burgers
6 spray a none stick baking tray with oil add the patties Cook in the oven for 15 minutes, add a slice of cheese to the top of each burger and cook for 15 more minutes.. Add your favorite relish, and serve with salad

Servings: 4

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1 serving
Percent daily values based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.

Fat Carbohydrates Protein Alcohol

Amount Per Serving
Calories 367.19
Calories From Fat (22%) 81.87
% Daily Value
Total Fat 9.28g 14%
Saturated Fat 3.06g 15%
Cholesterol 11.60mg 4%
Sodium 264.76mg 11%
Potassium 993.96mg 28%
Carbohydrates 62.19g 21%
Dietary Fiber 10.62g 42%
Sugar 20.23g
Sugar Alcohols 0.00g
Net Carbohydrates 51.57g
Protein 13.66g 27%

An interesting recipe!! I am always looking for a delicious veg burger variations aside from the soy protein based ones. (soy burgers usually make me go:yuk: , but maybe I haven't met a right recipe??)

I assume here you use dried chickpeas? How much do they turn to after they are cooked? I often make my falafels with chckpeas out of the tin (plus a bit of chickpea flour) and the results are good. Especially during the hot days of summer, using the tin version would make the life much easier...do you have any suggestion for the substitution? Or is it substantially better with dried chickpeas?

Hi Urmaniac
The answerer is ,I am not sure I have only measured them dry. I guess about double the weight pre cooked. I am sure somebody will have a better reply than that. :)

Dr. Prager's

I only eat veggie burgers because there are times when I am in the mood for one. I find most of the store made varieties dry and unappealing. However, a co-worker who keeps a kosher house recommended a kosher veggie burger made by Dr. Prager. I live in northern NJ, and she was in NY. Both our supermarkets carried the brand, in the frozen aisle, with the vegetarian food and kosher tv dinners.
They are the most moist veggies burgers I've ever had. You can see diced carrots and whole edemame in the burger.
He's got a good line of other products, as well. Definetely worth a shot.

Thanks for this recipe!! I'm thinking it might be a veggie burger my husband might actually enjoy.

While I really like falafel & lentil burgers, they don't really appeal to my husband, but your recipe looks to have a lot of different appealing flavors in one package.

Sounds delicious - I'd love to top them with plenty of sweet red onions. Thank-you for sharing this recipe with us, I much prefer homemade veggie burgers to store bought ones :)

I agree!! We used to be able to get great store-bought veggie burgers at CostCo - but they don't always have them, & haven't in awhile. They were made almost entirely from chopped Portabello mushrooms & were really good.

The other mainstream brandks of veggie burger, like Boca & Gardenburger, have too much garlic in them - & I'm a big-time garlic lover. The garlic in them just repeats on me all day, so I stopped buying them. Plus, they're REALLY over-the-top-high in sodium.

Urmaniac I personally don't like canned beans, chickpeas etc. I know they are easy but the slimy liquid is a huge turnoff even after rinsing.

To answer your question about how many dry chickpeas double when cooked it is almost double if not slightly more. I like to soak mine overnight and then drain them (so you lose all the starch and stomach upsetting liquid) and then pressure cook it. It cooks in no time. I make a large batch and freeze some of it. Freezing home made chickpeas for me is a lot better option than the canned ones.

That's a great idea, Yakuta!! I wasn't sure about the time it takes to boil chick peas but yeah, with pressure cooker it should be done very quickly!! I agree if I cook extra and freeze it will be just as easy to use as the canned version and I bet it will taste much better too... thanks for the tip, I will definitely follow your example:)

Yakuta

"To answer your question about how many dry chickpeas double when cooked it is almost double if not slightly more."

Thanks for that, the question had me scratching my head for a moment :cool:

Yakuta

"To answer your question about how many dry chickpeas double when cooked it is almost double if not slightly more."

I knew sombody would come up with the answer :) .
Thanks.

VeraBlue said:
, with the vegetarian food and kosher tv dinners.

something seems wrong with that statement, unless you're watching benny goodman on the idiot box...

Back
Top Bottom