Vegetarian diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think the OP wanted to know about ONLY meat diets. I think her questions were, would you be happy with a veggie diet for a week or for life and could you get all you need from a veggie diet. For some folks, they CAN get all they need from a vegetarian diet, for others, not so much. kadesma couldn't do without meat on her particular health regime, and yet others need to avoid it.

Its not about absolutes here, what is right for me is not necessarily right for anyone else. To each his/her own.

I know you can get the nutrients you need from a vegetarian diet, but to me, thats not the only thing I cherish about food. So my answer would be, Yes you can, I could do it for a week but I likely wouldn't be thrilled with it and would revert as soon as I was able.

If we all stop for a minute and just think...I because of my health am to eat lots of protein..Mind you I also eat veggies. I love tham and If your life is toward all veggies that's wonderful for YOU. We all must do what is in our best interest. To me there is nothing better than a large artichoke, asparagus, name it I'll eat it. But being able to live to be with my grandkids requires me to eat meats...I enjoy a nice small steak or a chicken leg..For me a balamced diet full of protein is required. I do not fault or didn't mean to give the impression of looking down my nose at anyone.Enjoy you dietary life style, you don't have to give or explain to me, I wish all of you well. Let's just put this to rest and not make anyone feel picked on.
kadesma

Last edited:
yes absolutely to both.

i just became vegetarian about 6 months ago. since this i have much more energy and feel 'lighter'. I've noticed a significant increase of performance at the gym. as for health i've read some studies show that people who follow a vegetarian diet generally have lower blood pressure, lower risk for some cancers, lower cholesterol, heart disease and a few other things i cant remember off hand.. It's definately not for everyone. Depending on if the person eats eggs or milk as well (lacto-ovo) they may have to take a B-12 supplement.

I have started to try to eat more vegetarian meals lately. I have been trying to make at least one meal a week without meat. There is an Asian market by my office that I just discovered. It is huge and had a great produce section as well as an awesome selection of noodles among many other things. For me, Asian cooking seems to lend itself very well to vegetarian cooking so that has been helping me meet (or should I say meat) my goal.

I have altered my diet this past year. After watching some of the "No Reservations" kind of shows concerning Asian style foods, I finally became determined to alter my thinking. I still eat meats (chicken, beef, lamb, etc.) but cut into bite size, and in smaller overall quantities. Meat mixed with vegetables and sprinkled with a tasty sauce, for me, is satisfying, more healthy, not radical in a life-style change, cheaper to prepare, and in some cases, challenges my creativity - which is a good thing. I've simply given second thoughts to doing things such as gorging myself on KFC fried chicken and choosing to make an unbreaded, steamed or poached chicken salad instead. I'll still occasionally eat a steak if I want to, but a large ham steak has been replaced with a half cup of minced ham that, mixed with vegetables, will make an entire tray of wontons.

So, as so many people on here are fond of saying, "It's all a matter of moderation." Sometimes it even makes you feel good!

I farm and raise livestock, I could easily go a week w/out meat. I also only eat one meal a day, most days, sometimes two. So, to the OP, yes for a week, but not a life time.

I've read, and have been, on sites that have arguments about/between vegetarians and meat eaters. Usually never comes out good.

One thing I've noticed is that many vegetarians/vegans are such do to environmental and/or ethical/moral choices. That is when it gets more personal than just what is on the plate.

If anything, I guess I'm all for fresh home grown w/a little fun thrown in from time to time. All this must be balanced for your body, cause everybody is different.;)

I could never give up meat completely, I love it too much. But I am trying to cut back the amount of meat in my diet. My boyfriend and I are trying an experiment, eating meat for dinner only 4 times a week instead of 7. Eventually I'd like to get us to the point where we only eat meat 2-3 times a week. Then it will seem more like a treat. I'm doing this for health reasons, though, not any moral implications.

A number of years ago I did an interview and full page spread (very small town newspaper) on a woman who I knew was third-generation vegetarian, and a total vegan (a friend of my mother's). Of course you can get a healthy diet without meat. But I will say vegan takes a lot more dedication and effort. She used products that I probably couldn't even get here (OK, on the internet probably could).

It really isn't unusual for my husband and me to have meatless days. His doctor was rather surprised one time when we were chatting, that we don't eat meat every day. When I told him I am the red meat lover, not my husband, he laughed, because it is usually the husband who has a meat thing. No, it is ME. But it isn't unusual for us to eat Asian meals without meat at least once a week. Could we do it for a week? Easily. As a lifetime commitment? No. Not that we couldn't do it, so much as I just wouldn't want to and can't think of a reason why I should. Humans and dogs are omnivores.

I have to say, when my mother's friend would throw a vegetarian potluck, my dish was always the most requested. It was as though the women felt like you have to punish yourself to be a vegan. Seasonings, to me, become more important, and most of the women did bland. A number of years ago, a young, just starting on her quest to become vegan, acquaintance, didn't know that some products you wouldn't think of have animal by-products in them.. If you are dedicating yourself to this lifestyle, learn a little about it.

BUT -- a meatless day or week once in awhile is probably a good idea. If nothing else, it will force you to learn to make the vegetables and starches in your meals count for something, rather than be "just" the sides! If you choose to adopt it as a lifestyle, learn about nutrition so that you can get all you need from veggies. Don't use being a vegetarian as being an excuse for fussy eating. I think some of my worst moments as a hostess was going way out of my way to make sure I had really good vegetarian (yes, even vegan) dishes on my table, only to find my religiously, will not eat meat acquaintance eating a loaded pizza later. OK, you only eat cured meats. Got it.

Do you think you can get all the nourishment you need from a vegetarian diet?
It's possible.

Would you be happy to eat a vegetarian diet for a week?
For a week, I wouldn't mind doing vegetarian. Vegan, however, is out of the question. I love dairy products too much.
However I do not like to place limits on my diet. I prefer having the option to try anything I'd like, meat or veggie.

Do you think you can get all the nourishment you need from a vegetarian

diet? Would you be happy to eat a vegetarian diet for a week?

Supposedtly you should be able to.

I would not be happy eating it even for one meal. Well, maybe as a side dish for my stake or humburger:LOL:

i think you would probably be able to eat only vegs. i have done and will again. i do like fish, chicken, and occasionally a small steak. would i want to do it all the time, no. you would have to know a lot about nutrition so one would not be low in some vitamins eat only vegs for week, sure.

I have been a vegetarian all my life. Vegetarian and Vegan diets are very healthy. Their are other ways to nutrients. Such as vitamins and supplaments, many other foods contain the nutrients you need.

from my dietician herself: vegetarianism is very feasible, whereas veganism is incredibly unhealthy.
@ above-posted message..... if a supplement is ingested in lieu of adequate, proper nutrition, that's a diet that ought be reconsidered. a healthful diet is sufficient in providing nutrition; supplementation is an afterthought..... & 1 of those b-vitamins? found either in meats, or pill-form. i'll take the meat, thanks. :)

as an add-on:.....yeah, veggie-ism is healthy for some. google kwashiorkor & marasmus, though. quinoa or other items- those in proper combinations during meals- offer proper nutritition. too many, though, lack proper info on pairing food items for a nutritionally balanced diet.

as an add-on:.....yeah, veggie-ism is healthy for some. google kwashiorkor & marasmus, though. quinoa or other items- those in proper combinations during meals- offer proper nutritition. too many, though, lack proper info on pairing food items for a nutritionally balanced diet.
The concept of pairing foods to create a 'complete proteins' was based on old studies thirty years ago. It is unnecessary as you can get all of your protein needs from a varied diet. Just like any diet, a variety of healthy food is important, but the whole protein argument is vastly overblown.

Here is a good source of information for anyone interested in vegan or vegetarian dietary needs: Vegan Dietitian

from my dietician herself: vegetarianism is very feasible, whereas veganism is incredibly unhealthy.
@ above-posted message..... if a supplement is ingested in lieu of adequate, proper nutrition, that's a diet that ought be reconsidered. a healthful diet is sufficient in providing nutrition; supplementation is an afterthought..... & 1 of those b-vitamins? found either in meats, or pill-form. i'll take the meat, thanks. :)
Your dietitian is contradicting the American Medical Association, the American Heart Association, USDA, the Mayo Clinic and many many other sources.

i'm nary interested in meatless diet, as per me, myself; i know what i've received dietitary info on, though;....
i'm rather well-taught by very adept, well-recieved instructors & Chefs. i'm also certified in nutrition.

& as for the vegetarian dietary stuff, lol, i'm not gonna even begin delving into that. when they find b-vitamins in lieu of cattle that involves nary a pill-form of supplempentation, drop me a line, & THEN we'll bicker the attritubutes.....(or lack thereof) of organ meats, steaks....

i could continue for ages.....
though i shant ramble on.

I've got no problems with anyone that wants to eat meat, but there's a lot of misinformation about vegan/vegetarian diets. The bottom line is, it can be a very healthy diet with a little planning but a poor vegan diet can be just as bad as a poor omnivore diet. Meat can have a place in a healthy diet as well, just not for me =).

Back
Top Bottom