"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Vegetarian/Vegan

Old 02-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #21
Everymom

I don't think the OP wanted to know about ONLY meat diets. I think her questions were, would you be happy with a veggie diet for a week or for life and could you get all you need from a veggie diet. For some folks, they CAN get all they need from a vegetarian diet, for others, not so much. kadesma couldn't do without meat on her particular health regime, and yet others need to avoid it.

Its not about absolutes here, what is right for me is not necessarily right for anyone else. To each his/her own.

I know you can get the nutrients you need from a vegetarian diet, but to me, thats not the only thing I cherish about food. So my answer would be, Yes you can, I could do it for a week but I likely wouldn't be thrilled with it and would revert as soon as I was able.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

If we all stop for a minute and just think...I because of my health am to eat lots of protein..Mind you I also eat veggies. I love tham and If your life is toward all veggies that's wonderful for YOU. We all must do what is in our best interest. To me there is nothing better than a large artichoke, asparagus, name it I'll eat it. But being able to live to be with my grandkids requires me to eat meats...I enjoy a nice small steak or a chicken leg..For me a balamced diet full of protein is required. I do not fault or didn't mean to give the impression of looking down my nose at anyone.Enjoy you dietary life style, you don't have to give or explain to me, I wish all of you well. Let's just put this to rest and not make anyone feel picked on.
kadesma

Old 03-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Not sure.

No.
Why your not sure ? Try to be vegetarian . if you did that you became happy special your health .
Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #24
Cook

yes absolutely to both.

i just became vegetarian about 6 months ago. since this i have much more energy and feel 'lighter'. I've noticed a significant increase of performance at the gym. as for health i've read some studies show that people who follow a vegetarian diet generally have lower blood pressure, lower risk for some cancers, lower cholesterol, heart disease and a few other things i cant remember off hand.. It's definately not for everyone. Depending on if the person eats eggs or milk as well (lacto-ovo) they may have to take a B-12 supplement.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #25
Chief Eating Officer

I have started to try to eat more vegetarian meals lately. I have been trying to make at least one meal a week without meat. There is an Asian market by my office that I just discovered. It is huge and had a great produce section as well as an awesome selection of noodles among many other things. For me, Asian cooking seems to lend itself very well to vegetarian cooking so that has been helping me meet (or should I say meat) my goal.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #26
Executive Chef

I have altered my diet this past year. After watching some of the "No Reservations" kind of shows concerning Asian style foods, I finally became determined to alter my thinking. I still eat meats (chicken, beef, lamb, etc.) but cut into bite size, and in smaller overall quantities. Meat mixed with vegetables and sprinkled with a tasty sauce, for me, is satisfying, more healthy, not radical in a life-style change, cheaper to prepare, and in some cases, challenges my creativity - which is a good thing. I've simply given second thoughts to doing things such as gorging myself on KFC fried chicken and choosing to make an unbreaded, steamed or poached chicken salad instead. I'll still occasionally eat a steak if I want to, but a large ham steak has been replaced with a half cup of minced ham that, mixed with vegetables, will make an entire tray of wontons.

So, as so many people on here are fond of saying, "It's all a matter of moderation." Sometimes it even makes you feel good!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #27
Senior Cook

I farm and raise livestock, I could easily go a week w/out meat. I also only eat one meal a day, most days, sometimes two. So, to the OP, yes for a week, but not a life time.

I've read, and have been, on sites that have arguments about/between vegetarians and meat eaters. Usually never comes out good.

One thing I've noticed is that many vegetarians/vegans are such do to environmental and/or ethical/moral choices. That is when it gets more personal than just what is on the plate.

If anything, I guess I'm all for fresh home grown w/a little fun thrown in from time to time. All this must be balanced for your body, cause everybody is different.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
I could never give up meat completely, I love it too much. But I am trying to cut back the amount of meat in my diet. My boyfriend and I are trying an experiment, eating meat for dinner only 4 times a week instead of 7. Eventually I'd like to get us to the point where we only eat meat 2-3 times a week. Then it will seem more like a treat. I'm doing this for health reasons, though, not any moral implications.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #29
Master Chef

A number of years ago I did an interview and full page spread (very small town newspaper) on a woman who I knew was third-generation vegetarian, and a total vegan (a friend of my mother's). Of course you can get a healthy diet without meat. But I will say vegan takes a lot more dedication and effort. She used products that I probably couldn't even get here (OK, on the internet probably could).

It really isn't unusual for my husband and me to have meatless days. His doctor was rather surprised one time when we were chatting, that we don't eat meat every day. When I told him I am the red meat lover, not my husband, he laughed, because it is usually the husband who has a meat thing. No, it is ME. But it isn't unusual for us to eat Asian meals without meat at least once a week. Could we do it for a week? Easily. As a lifetime commitment? No. Not that we couldn't do it, so much as I just wouldn't want to and can't think of a reason why I should. Humans and dogs are omnivores.

I have to say, when my mother's friend would throw a vegetarian potluck, my dish was always the most requested. It was as though the women felt like you have to punish yourself to be a vegan. Seasonings, to me, become more important, and most of the women did bland. A number of years ago, a young, just starting on her quest to become vegan, acquaintance, didn't know that some products you wouldn't think of have animal by-products in them.. If you are dedicating yourself to this lifestyle, learn a little about it.

BUT -- a meatless day or week once in awhile is probably a good idea. If nothing else, it will force you to learn to make the vegetables and starches in your meals count for something, rather than be "just" the sides! If you choose to adopt it as a lifestyle, learn about nutrition so that you can get all you need from veggies. Don't use being a vegetarian as being an excuse for fussy eating. I think some of my worst moments as a hostess was going way out of my way to make sure I had really good vegetarian (yes, even vegan) dishes on my table, only to find my religiously, will not eat meat acquaintance eating a loaded pizza later. OK, you only eat cured meats. Got it.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Kinkajou Send a message via MSN to Kinkajou Send a message via Yahoo to Kinkajou
Do you think you can get all the nourishment you need from a vegetarian diet?
It's possible.

Would you be happy to eat a vegetarian diet for a week?
For a week, I wouldn't mind doing vegetarian. Vegan, however, is out of the question. I love dairy products too much.
However I do not like to place limits on my diet. I prefer having the option to try anything I'd like, meat or veggie.