"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Vegetarian/Vegan

Old 02-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Vegetarian diet?

Do you think you can get all the nourishment you need from a vegetarian

diet? Would you be happy to eat a vegetarian diet for a week?

Old 02-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Not sure.

No.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
Master Chef

Site Administrator

When cows grow on bushes I will only eat plants. :)
Old 02-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Yes, and I have... for 3 months... althought it wasn't vegan.. I did have dairy..
Old 02-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Yes.

Yes.

I've been a vegetarian for a long time. It's really not that difficult nor is it that unenjoyable. I've always explained it this way. No one would suffer if they ate just vegetables, but no one could or enjoy eating just meat. The flavor profiles of vegetables are more complex, and more diverse. Most people don't even like "meat" unless they add some sort of non-meat spice to it.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

No,
for me staying alive is based on protein..Chicken,eggs,beef,pork...Veggies are a side.
kadesma
Old 02-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagout77 View Post
...Most people don't even like "meat" unless they add some sort of non-meat spice to it.
HUH???
Old 02-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

You won't die if you don't eat meat. There is more than enough protein in vegetables to meat the daily requirement of an average individual (if you're a body builder that's a different story).

Has anyone ever actually ate just cooked venison? Or actual fowl? It is so gamey that most people don't like the taste. Growing up on a rural farm I ate a lot of meat in it's most natural and pure form and the taste is not the same nor what I would consider desirable by itself.

My point being that meats flavor can and usually is enhanced by vegetables of some type. Vegetables need not be enhanced or added to taste good. However, the fact remains that flavor profiles are more varied with vegetables than meat.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagout77 View Post
You won't die if you don't eat meat. There is more than enough protein in vegetables to meat the daily requirement of an average individual (if you're a body builder that's a different story).

Has anyone ever actually ate just cooked venison? Or actual fowl? It is so gamey that most people don't like the taste. Growing up on a rural farm I ate a lot of meat in it's most natural and pure form and the taste is not the same nor what I would consider desirable by itself.

My point being that meats flavor can and usually is enhanced by vegetables of some type. Vegetables need not be enhanced or added to taste good. However, the fact remains that flavor profiles are more varied with vegetables than meat.
I don't want to argue with you but that is a broad statement for me. My kidneys have failed and I was told to eat what I listed above..Veggies alone won't do what I need. While I like and enjoy them, they are not and can't be my main focus.
kadesma
Old 02-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
1) Absolutely, without a doubt. I get my blood tested quarterly and have my doctor run a nutrient panel and I'm peachy (except for cholesterol). As I don't eat dairy or eggs either, I do need a B-12 supplement.

2) I think my food horizon expanded quite a bit when I went vegetarian, then vegan. There's so many more places to go when you don't have a slab of meat at the center of your plate. I've really explored other cuisines that are often vegetarian in nature, such as Indian and Thai and I've tried things that I never would have considered before (or even knew about). I'm definitely happy with my choice.