"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Vegetarian/Vegan

Old 12-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Shell fish have no nervous system, and they cant feel pain.
I don't know where you came up with that idea, but it's definitely not true. While I'm not intimately familiar with the anatomy of clams, mussels, scallops, etc., they do respond to touch. As for shrimp, crab, & lobster - they DEFINITELY have excellent well-documented nervous systems.

If you understandably enjoy eating shellfish, so be it. But please don't do so & call yourself "vegetarian" because you erroneously believe they're creatures without feeling.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
Hi Merstar, sorry about how I typed it (had a lot to type) but yes it's 1.5 tsps of cumin and 1.5 tsp of corrainder. Also I only use whole spices. I like to toast them and then grind them. The flavors when you roast whole spices and grind them are just different than the powdered stuff.

For anyone else who wants to try that recipe and are not that considered about spices and fat you can use regular fat yogurt, the best is greek or middleeastern. I would also suggest adding a chopped jalapeno pepper at the end with the green onion and cilantro for some kick. I would also add some minced ginger to the mixture.

The recipe I posted is slightly modified keeping that there is a restriction on fat and spices.
Thanks, Yakuta!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #23
Cook

The Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites has vegetarian, low-fat recipes. I own this book and can recommend it highly.

Dr. Dean Ornish advocates an extremely low-fat vegetarian diet and has written several books on the subject. However, I haven't read any of his books and some regard his recommendations as too extreme.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petek View Post
The Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites has vegetarian, low-fat recipes. I own this book and can recommend it highly.

This is a great book.. I like alot of the mooswood books and I am an unapolagetic carnivore
Old 12-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
If you understandably enjoy eating shellfish, so be it. But please don't do so & call yourself "vegetarian" because you erroneously believe they're creatures without feeling.
Agreed. A person who eats fish and no other meat is a pescatarian. Avoiding other kinds of meat is still better for the environment. It still contributes less to cruelty. It's just not vegetarian. And telling others that you are when you eat fish perpetuates a misconception.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

spices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post

The recipe I posted is slightly modified keeping that there is a restriction on fat and spices.
Actually...spicy stuff is fine. Just no fat or alcohol.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

Whoa...i didnt think people were going to freak out if i said i eat shellfish. And ok maybe they have a nervous system, but they cant feel pain and they arent aware of being. Unless some one lied to me...but i honestly dont find it in the character of that person to do so. Im going to change the subject now.

Any more recipes? Im making the potatoe one tonight and the cous cous one tomorrow or the next day.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegetarian_bri View Post
Whoa...i didnt think people were going to freak out if i said i eat shellfish. And ok maybe they have a nervous system, but they cant feel pain and they arent aware of being. Unless some one lied to me...but i honestly dont find it in the character of that person to do so. Im going to change the subject now.

Like I said before, you might want to do your own research on this. There are plenty of scientists and animal rights advocates that claim they do feel pain and are aware of being .

And do look up a chart so you can start eating bananas.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

I looked, but my moms doctor said not to eat bananas. I dont know why, maybe its the type of fat. Like, she can eat coconuts even though they are high in fat. Its because its a different kind.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #30
Executive Chef

What kind of desserts or snacks can your mom eat?

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote