Vegetarian Mexican Macaroni

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcyMist

Sous Chef
I am not a vegetarian although I have cut back a lot on red meats, but when I saw this recipe I thought it looked promising. Haven't tried it yet, but am planning on testing it out.

VEGETARIAN MEXICAN MACARONI

2 c. uncooked macaroni
2 cans kidney beans, drained
2 c. corn
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped green peppers
1/2 c. chopped red peppers or pimento
1 c. chopped green olives
1 can (15 oz.) and 1 can (8 oz.) Hunts tomato sauce
1 t. chili powder or paprika
1 t. cumin powder
salt to taste

Cook macaroni per package directions. Mix all ingredients together in a (3 quart) casserole. Bake uncovered at 350° for 1 hour. Garnish with tomatoes, green onions and chopped lettuce.
Note: depending on the type of vegetarian you're cooking for, you may want to add some shredded cheese to this dish as well.

Different

Sounds real good! Thanks for sharing. Looking for ways to eliminate continued use of meat.

Summer salad

I serve this cold as a pasta salad, with home made nachos on the side and lots of fresh guacamole to dip. Lime sherbet Marguaritas as a cool drink. And sweet skewered watermelon with a squeeze of fresh lime for dessert, icy cold. YUM

That sounds delicious. Can you describe Hunt's tomato sauce, the texture and taste? I need to find a substitute for this side of the pond!!!

Refreshing!

Brianschef said:
I serve this cold as a pasta salad, with home made nachos on the side and lots of fresh guacamole to dip. Lime sherbet Marguaritas as a cool drink. And sweet skewered watermelon with a squeeze of fresh lime for dessert, icy cold. YUM
Wow! Now that sounds like something I want to fix. Something that doesn't require to turn the oven on. Do you know how to prepare the Marguaritas or do you buy ready mix? I have seen Marguaritas all over but have never tasted. You have listed all the summer ingredients including guacamole. Do you prepare that too? Sorry if I sound personal but this really piqued my curiousity and my pallet. You really have a winner here. Thank you for such good ideas. It is only 98 today. Supposed to go up past 100 on Saturday. If it rains it makes it steamy.

I make the pasta salad using the ingredients mentioned above only everything comes fresh from the fridge including the tomato sauce. I chill that the night before, but don't hesitate to use chilled bloody mary mix, gives it a nice kick. I boil my pasta at night also, drain and cool, the place in a large ziplock and add enough cold water to cover. Drain well for 15 minutes before assembling salad. I like everything to be very cold.

For the Marguaritas, I use lime sherbet instead of ice cubes and only add Tequila, I don't add the Triple Sec because it tends to water the drink down. I place the sherbet in the blender, add fresh squeezed lime juice from half a lime, and one or two shots of Tequila. Blend till smooth and poor into Margarita glasses that have been rimmed with sugar. Tip side of glass with a fresh orange wedge.

I make a standard recipe for guacamole, except I add lime juice instead of lemon juice for this meal.

For my chips, I take boughten corn tortillas, and cut in wide wedges(usually just four pieces out of one tortilla). Then I slip them through a pan of cold water that is laced with lime juice and salt(stir to mix until the salt is dissolved). Then place on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees F until nice and crispy. You can sprinkle with salt wihle still warm, but it is not necessary.

Hope this helps!

kyles said:
That sounds delicious. Can you describe Hunt's tomato sauce, the texture and taste? I need to find a substitute for this side of the pond!!!

Hunt's is just the brand name. It's plain tomato sauce, usually made with a mixing of tomatoes, salt, dried onion, dried garlic, and some mild spices. Same consistency or a bit thicker, than marinara.

Back
Top Bottom