"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Vegetarian/Vegan

Old 11-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I have never heard anything good about "fake meat" so that would not be served at my table, and neither would anything pre-made. At a holiday dinner, everything is prepared in my kitchen, or someone else's kitchen. I have some guest who bring something and will tell me what they are bringing and some whom I'm glad don't bring anything, if you know what I mean. But I would be very happy if a vegetarian guest brought a dish to share and I would not push anyone to try it if they didn't want to. I've had that done to me so many times I learned how unpleasant it is.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Here at Casa de Hoot, we welcome all to the table. If I know that a particular individual
has dietary preferences, I will do my best to accommodate him or her. Typically, we have a number of dishes that have no meat and it has never been an issue.
I have never understood the idea that vegetarians/vegans would want to eat something that looks like meat. Maybe I am just obtuse but it makes no sense to me.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Here at Casa de Hoot, we welcome all to the table. If I know that a particular individual
has dietary preferences, I will do my best to accommodate him or her. Typically, we have a number of dishes that have no meat and it has never been an issue.
I have never understood the idea that vegetarians/vegans would want to eat something that looks like meat. Maybe I am just obtuse but it makes no sense to me.
I'm with you Hoot!

I would think that eating soy bacon or tofurkey would be repulsive to someone that does not want to eat meat.

I would bake some sweet potatoes and make a pilau of some sort using vegetable stock. One unbalanced meal won't cause anyone to develop malnutrition.

I also know some vegetarians who draw the drapes huddle around the table and eat a well ur um traditional Thanksgiving meal with family and friends.

The best advice is don't over think it!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I think some vegans/vegetarians who choose to eat that way for ethical reasons sometimes miss the taste or miss meat out of nostalgia. There must be some reason why there are so many meat alternatives on the market.

I'm thinking that including on the menu a big platter of roasted root veggies, squash casserole topped with nuts, mashed potatoes, crudités, deviled eggs and rolls would do it. If a vegan was coming, I'd make some adjustment.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Many vegetarians are former meat eaters. Often when people make the switch to a vegetable-based diet, they're not sure how to go about it. So the first thing they do is try to convert some of their favorite meat recipes. Or they want something that reminds them of familiar foods. I call these fake meats "transitional proteins".

Most of them are not that good - especially the ones that try to taste like chicken. Believe it or not, although folks use that phrase a lot, there are not really any vegetable items that naturally taste like chicken or turkey. Beef is a little easier to fake. When done right, I've had veggie burgers that taste quite a bit like the real thing (as an ingredient, mushrooms can be especially meat-like in flavor). I still love veggie burgers.

Oh, and there is a product out there that looks like ground sausage crumbles. A little is great on pizza or in an Italian dish.

I would say the majority of vegetarians I know avoid meat for various ethical or religious reasons, and with a little health consciousness thrown in for good measure. But it's not usually because they hate the taste of meat.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I am not too concerned about Thanksgiving/ Christmas/ Major holiday family gatherings. Our family, large gatherings, are usually pot luck events, and vegetarians have the option to bring a dish too.

I made a wild rice "salad" one year. I called it a salad as it could be served room temp, saving valuable real estate on both oven and refrigerator. That was a hit. Last year I made a broccoli cheese quinoa dish. I was surprised what a hit this was too with several nieces/ and my own son who is not vegetarian. I thought it was bland.

Whoever makes Stuffing/ Dressing makes 2 casserole dishes, one vegetarian for sure, and one non, whether cooked inside the bird or not.

It's those impromptu back yard bbq's that I have a problem. I am down to a marinated grilled portobello mushrom burger. I have tried ready made/ frozen "bean" burgers. I haven't found one I like yet, so I won't serve them. I also don't like my own recipes I have tried to make. One time, a vegetarian SIL came over around dinner time. All I could offer was sliced tomato, lettuce, onion, sliced avocado on a bun for her. I felt it was less than hospitable, offering as her full course what to us was just the fixings. Well, there's time enough to work on that.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I am not too concerned about Thanksgiving/ Christmas/ Major holiday family gatherings. Our family, large gatherings, are usually pot luck events, and vegetarians have the option to bring a dish too.

I made a wild rice "salad" one year. I called it a salad as it could be served room temp, saving valuable real estate on both oven and refrigerator. That was a hit. Last year I made a broccoli cheese quinoa dish. I was surprised what a hit this was too with several nieces/ and my own son who is not vegetarian. I thought it was bland.

Whoever makes Stuffing/ Dressing makes 2 casserole dishes, one vegetarian for sure, and one non, whether cooked inside the bird or not.

It's those impromptu back yard bbq's that I have a problem. I am down to a marinated grilled portobello mushrom burger. I have tried ready made/ frozen "bean" burgers. I haven't found one I like yet, so I won't serve them. I also don't like my own recipes I have tried to make. One time, a vegetarian SIL came over around dinner time. All I could offer was sliced tomato, lettuce, onion, sliced avocado on a bun for her. I felt it was less than hospitable, offering as her full course what to us was just the fixings. Well, there's time enough to work on that.
Grilled vegetables (onions, zucchini, bell peppers), pineapple and plums are to die for. Drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar and herbs when you take the veggies off the grill.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We have a fast food place here called Harveys. They make a wonderful vegi burger. I checked the list of ingredients and it was all food, no weird chemicals. A vegetarian friend had to be convinced that her husband hadn't brought her a burger with meat.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #19
Sous Chef

My mother was a vegetarian and I stick with that experience. She was responsible for her own eating choices and did not expect any one to cater to those choices while at the same time appreciating it if the host did not intentionally load everything with beef stock, chunks or lard. Many people didn't even realize she was a vegetarian because she made no effort to make it an issue. In most meals, especially a Thanksgiving feast, there is usually enough choices to fill up a vegetarian since one meal without perfect balance won't hurt anyone.

Tags
vegan, vegetarian