"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Gluten Free

Old 01-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
Cook

Anyone Gluten Free?

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I've been cooking for special diets for more than 20 years. Several years ago I found out my health issues were due to a misdiagnosis - I have celiac disease - so now the whole family is gluten free. Well they are GF for all meals eaten in the house anyway!

Stacy
NY, NY

Old 09-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

I do not think that only the one suffering from the disease should go on gluten free diet.
Gluten free diet can bring several health benefits only we have to be sure to consume a balanced diet. And if you are planning to go on gluten free diet say goodbye to most of the junk food!

Old 09-07-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamabigailnaylor View Post
I do not think that only the one suffering from the disease should go on gluten free diet.
Gluten free diet can bring several health benefits only we have to be sure to consume a balanced diet. And if you are planning to go on gluten free diet say goodbye to most of the junk food!
Although this thread is 7 1/2 years old, I think that the choice to go gluten free would be up to the individual not suffering from a disease and not dictated by the one with the disease. That would be the same as dictating a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle on a carnivore. IMO, bad plan.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:57 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Although this thread is 7 1/2 years old, I think that the choice to go gluten free would be up to the individual not suffering from a disease and not dictated by the one with the disease. That would be the same as dictating a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle on a carnivore. IMO, bad plan.
I'd agree with that up to a point Craig. As most know, I've limited my diet to under 50g of carbs per day, but I have generally made sure my SC has his carbs with meals, if he wants them. That's not to say I'll make him something like Pizza or noodle casseroles, not to mention desserts, and watch him eat it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:15 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Here is a link to an expert's opinion on non coeliacs going on a gluten-free diet.

Gluten-free diets could be harmful for those who don't need them, expert warns | The Independent

Gillian
Old 09-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Old 09-07-2016, 06:40 PM   #7
Master Chef

How many more times are you going to mock the gluten free posters and post that same ol' doctored up pic, SLoB?
Old 09-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #8
Cook

DH is gluten free but isn't allergic to it, just sensitive. I can have bread or noodles or other foods for the rest of us without him going into an anaphylactic shock. Thankfully.

Being that I don't want to make 2 or 3 different dinners after a day of work, we all eat a lot of chicken and rice and fish and vegetables. It's not bad, just sort of gets to you after a while ... plus I hate throwing away food so I end up taking leftovers to work. Some days I eat the same meal for lunch and dinner, several times a week !
Old 09-07-2016, 09:04 PM   #9
Head Chef

SLoB, thank you... I hadn't seen that one! LOL

Have you seen where they are showing a Ginger ale or Lemon Lime soda ad as Caffeine Free! (can't remember which one)

And I met someone who was buying it because it said that.... OMG!
Old 09-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
How many more times are you going to mock the gluten free posters and post that same ol' doctored up pic, SLoB?
Until they come up with a new trend. We've done oat bran, we've done lactose intolerant, we've done probiotics, we've done quinoa, and now the catch phrase is gluten free. We need to find something new that 98% of people don't care about.