Anyone Gluten Free?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I've been cooking for special diets for more than 20 years. Several years ago I found out my health issues were due to a misdiagnosis - I have celiac disease - so now the whole family is gluten free. Well they are GF for all meals eaten in the house anyway!

Stacy
NY, NY

I do not think that only the one suffering from the disease should go on gluten free diet.
Gluten free diet can bring several health benefits only we have to be sure to consume a balanced diet. And if you are planning to go on gluten free diet say goodbye to most of the junk food!

I do not think that only the one suffering from the disease should go on gluten free diet.
Gluten free diet can bring several health benefits only we have to be sure to consume a balanced diet. And if you are planning to go on gluten free diet say goodbye to most of the junk food!

Although this thread is 7 1/2 years old, I think that the choice to go gluten free would be up to the individual not suffering from a disease and not dictated by the one with the disease. That would be the same as dictating a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle on a carnivore. IMO, bad plan.

Although this thread is 7 1/2 years old, I think that the choice to go gluten free would be up to the individual not suffering from a disease and not dictated by the one with the disease. That would be the same as dictating a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle on a carnivore. IMO, bad plan.

I'd agree with that up to a point Craig. As most know, I've limited my diet to under 50g of carbs per day, but I have generally made sure my SC has his carbs with meals, if he wants them. That's not to say I'll make him something like Pizza or noodle casseroles, not to mention desserts, and watch him eat it. :LOL:

img_1479002_0_4a111f2016e203fc740215eb72af343e.png

How many more times are you going to mock the gluten free posters and post that same ol' doctored up pic, SLoB? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
DH is gluten free but isn't allergic to it, just sensitive. I can have bread or noodles or other foods for the rest of us without him going into an anaphylactic shock. Thankfully.

Being that I don't want to make 2 or 3 different dinners after a day of work, we all eat a lot of chicken and rice and fish and vegetables. It's not bad, just sort of gets to you after a while ... plus I hate throwing away food so I end up taking leftovers to work. Some days I eat the same meal for lunch and dinner, several times a week !

SLoB, thank you... I hadn't seen that one! LOL

Have you seen where they are showing a Ginger ale or Lemon Lime soda ad as Caffeine Free! (can't remember which one)

And I met someone who was buying it because it said that.... OMG!

How many more times are you going to mock the gluten free posters and post that same ol' doctored up pic, SLoB? :rolleyes:

Until they come up with a new trend. We've done oat bran, we've done lactose intolerant, we've done probiotics, we've done quinoa, and now the catch phrase is gluten free. We need to find something new that 98% of people don't care about.

Until they come up with a new trend. We've done oat bran, we've done lactose intolerant, we've done probiotics, we've done quinoa, and now the catch phrase is gluten free. We need to find something new that 98% of people don't care about.

Be sure to let the world know when you find it. ;)

I have no problems with anything I eat. Wheat isn't my favorite grain but that's just my taste. I must admit, I do like quinoa when I've been working hard and have expended a lot of energy. I find it very satisfying and filling.

Hi,

Is that recommendation from a friend or your doctor? How long have you known of your gluten intolerance?

I don't know if any coeliac-disease people or gluten intolerant people are still around. My daughter is one of the former.

Gillian

Hi,

Is that recommendation from a friend or your doctor? How long have you known of your gluten intolerance?

I don't know if any coeliac-disease people or gluten intolerant people are still around. My daughter is one of the former.

Gillian

It's from a doctor. I do NOT have celiac, but he suspected some sort of intolerance. I'm restricting lots of foods at the moment, and yet because it's so overwhelming, I've been cheating too. (sorry, it's really hard following multiple diets at once) Gluten has been the one I most try to avoid though, as I can seem to see what it does to me.

Ok, I gotcha. Well, I think I read someone saying I can post and will just see from there. Thanks for checking in!

I know you don't have coeliac disease. I imagine it's bad enough having an intolerance to gluten. Have you been given a list of what you can eat and what you can't eat?

What other diet are you following?

Gillian

I know you don't have coeliac disease. I imagine it's bad enough having an intolerance to gluten. Have you been given a list of what you can eat and what you can't eat?

What other diet are you following?

Gillian

short answer, yes. I'd have to dig out all my paperwork, but the main ones are glutenfree and this anti-inflammatory diet by Dr. Weil. Dr. Weil's Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid - DrWeil.com
and just for quick viewing sake https://celiac.org/live-gluten-free/glutenfreediet/food-options/
I'm also to cut sugar, so fruits are to be limited with no oranges, and dairy. Fats? Well, I'm not supposed to eat potato chips. Deepfried stuff is common sense, but I've only ever had this occasionally anyway.

I was doing pretty well for a few months, but it was getting boring. As of today, I have gotten pretty lazy, except that I still have my "approved" breakfast everyday and I mostly eat ok foods, but I need more vegetables and I've become addicted to some gluten-free snacks, but not sugarfree or low sodium. bah! It's very difficult when the approved foods are far and few between or I don't know how to cook them or keep them fresh (veggies)!

Hi, sorry I am coming in here a little late but I have been cooking and baking gluten-free for over 12 years now. I have promised some recipes so mcrx but have been under the weather the last while. I just got a horrid toothache and am going to medicate myself to sleep so tomorrow I will see what I can come up with!

Back
Top Bottom