"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Gluten Free

Old 09-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Baking-binding agents?

Hi, I have been experimenting with different binding agents in baking and can't find much on the internet that specifically explains the difference between the different types of agents. Does anyone have a good link or has had experience with any of them, enough to explain the subtle differences? The ones I am using are xantham, guar, psyllium husks, gelatin, agar, flaxmeal and glucamannon. I don't know which one is best for what. I am trying to bind heavier flours, since I am on a LC diet. My flours tend to have either protein, fat or fibre (high content of) that makes them heavy and difficult to bind. Some of them also have a high water content which poses other challenges.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Not being an expert on binding agents, I am wondering if you have specific recipes in mind and looking for substitutions or are you interested in the full spectrum of binding agents in general. I would suspect, (and I am likely wrong) that binding agents react in a variety of ways, depending on the recipe.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

well, I guess what I need one that is strong and that absorbs water as it gels. A lot of my baking goods turn out too soft and mushy in the center, and it makes it difficult to cut when trying to make a bread like substance. The binding agents seem to work as gels but aren't all that strong to hold up to cutting and tearing with a knife. For muffins and cakes they seem to be fine but I am struggling more with baked goods that need cutting.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlet_cat View Post
well, I guess what I need one that is strong and that absorbs water as it gels. A lot of my baking goods turn out too soft and mushy in the center, and it makes it difficult to cut when trying to make a bread like substance. The binding agents seem to work as gels but aren't all that strong to hold up to cutting and tearing with a knife. For muffins and cakes they seem to be fine but I am struggling more with baked goods that need cutting.

what are you useing for a flour substitute? baking Gluten free in general is going to be a bit more loose 'oily' but some of the 'flours' that you can use are better than others. I like almond flour, as well as using a dash of corn starch to absorb the water. Again with most gluten free baking, you will not get the "fluffy" you are looking at like a biscuit.

Hope that helps

Tags
baking