"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Gluten Free

Old 12-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to bankai
we have a manufacturer here that has released a milk called 'zymil' which is lactose free - i have a slight intolerance to lactose and i can't have soy milk either :S. Is there a company in the US who has a similar product ?

Old 12-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Yes, actually. There is a brand called Lactaid, and two other companies, Horizon Organic and Organic Valley which all produce some version of lactose free milk.

Unfortunately, I am also allergic to these as well because, being a dairy product, they contain a protein called casein. casein is very similar in structure to the gluten molecule and my immune system attacks it in the same way.

I've been doing a little research though and apparently there are dairy free, casein free milk and butter substitutes available in some stores. Im not sure if these are also sulfite free, but I will certainly keep my eyes open!

Old 12-27-2008, 06:50 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Oh - i thought most celiacs were lactose intolerant because the gluten makes their intestines very sensitive and that the lactose intolerance was only temporary. Learnt a lot from you today ;) lol
Old 12-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

lol I couldnt tell you. I am no doctor...I just read the papers my allergist mails me haha so that is the extent of my knowledge. I was intolerant to dairy 3 years before i was intolerant to gluten so maybe im just backwards lol. I don't know if i have celiec disease though. It certainly sounds like it, but who knows these days. With all the rediculous health problems out there its easy to get diagnosed incorrectly!
Old 12-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

very sensitive person, aren't ya ;) hehe
Old 12-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodvaccuum View Post
So...I'm a little new to this food allergy business. This has been a sudden and very annoying, new situation for me and I admit to pathetic cooking skills.

Any help out there? Even brand-name substance food items that wont make me keel over? Recipes? Suggestions?

My only local food store is Safeway which does not exactly cater to digestively challenged individuals such as myself.

Any knowledge is greatly appreciated!
This site has lots of good info: Karina's Kitchen- Recipes from a Gluten-Free Goddess

In particular, check out this: Karina's Kitchen- Recipes from a Gluten-Free Goddess: The Morning After (diagnosis, that is)

and this: Karina's Kitchen- Recipes from a Gluten-Free Goddess: FAQ's on Karina's Kitchen

HTH.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

ugh no kidding. But...it could be worse! After doing a few searches through "google images" on various disorders i am suddenly much more content with my problems hahaha
Old 12-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Oh lovely!! I will see what I can find!

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Hey, pass that food list to me too!

Foodvaccuum, my son can't have gluten or dairy either, and also corn. I shop for him in the organic section of Smith's and at health food stores. You can order some foods online too. You can try the Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread . I actually haven't tried the bread but it makes good graham crackers. Just make sure you use a dairy-free margarine like Nucoa, Blue Bonnet light, or Earth Balance. My son used to drink almond milk and he loved it. We give him soy milk now because it has fewer calories. You could also try rice milk but don't get Rice Dream because it is not gluten-free. (We've been doing this for about a year now).

How long have you known of your food allergies?

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Oh, and by the way, if you aren't having success with doctors I would recommend testing through Enterolab. We had my son tested through them. They do gene testing and also test for specific intolerances using a stool sample. You don't have to go anywhere, just mail in your samples. Insurance usually doesn't cover it though so it can be expensive. We found it was more accurate than an allergist because gluten-sensitivity is not necessarily an allergy, and it was better than a biopsy because it actually tells you what he can't tolerate. We had him tested for gluten and casein (extremely sensitive to both), and we are still waiting for results on soy, egg, and yeast sensitivities. My son also can't have corn but we just learned that from experience.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allergy, food, gluten free, sulfite free, recipe