"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Gluten Free

Old 04-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Not sure if it still applies but about 20 years ago I read that in UK it's illegal for a (human) doctor to treat an animal but perfectly OK for a vet to treat a human. Odd. Also, if you go to the pharmacy to buy something over the counter, such as cough mixture or nappy cream for your horse's cough or sore skin, you must never tell them that it's for an animal because they aren't allowed to sell human products for animal use.
It's hilarious to read this under the title Bread disaster

Old 04-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
l've been sensitive to lactose for years and never knew it. It was only recently that being on meds for acid reflux I realized all those years I was drinking milk to calm the burning in my stomach - thinking more along the lines of ulcers and wondering why it never really helped.... duhhh.... Dr. Dragn be ashamed of yourself for the self diagnostics!
Have you ever been tested for Helicobacter pylori? You mentioned burning in your stomach is the reason I asked.

It's a simple blood test. Sometimes a breath test, but there are some doctors who say that's not efficient. (I don't know)

Helicobacter pylori - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post

Have you ever been tested for Helicobacter pylori? You mentioned burning in your stomach is the reason I asked.

It's a simple blood test. Sometimes a breath test, but there are some doctors who say that's not efficient. (I don't know)

Helicobacter pylori - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good question. Dragn, He. pylori can cause stomach ulcers. And milk doesn't help; it causes the gall bladder and stomach to release bile and stomach acids which can worsen the pain. Try Maalox.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #24
Head Chef

looked that up but considering it wasn't identified until the early 80's was already too late for me. I suffered during the 60's and 70's then they removed a basket full of gall stones along with the gall bladder and I'm fine. Still have to be careful eating certain things but... life goes on!

Still suffer from acid reflux but as long as my meds work - life is good!
Old 04-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #25
Head Chef

Still off topic but addressed to the OP:

The treatment for H. pylori is simple: 2 different antibiotics and a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) like Prilosec. Usually a 3 week regimen is sufficient, although it took me 3 consecutive courses to eliminate it---- but that's not normal.

In these new times when antibiotic resistance is being hailed as a huge problem (and it is) sometimes doctors will offer other OTC meds to combat it. Those would not be my first choice. (Rant coming up! If the food producers, produce and meat animals, would curtail indiscriminate antibiotics then the 'resistance' problem would be greatly reduced.)

So, dragnlaw, if you have H. pylori, be sure you treat it effectively. Mine never came back.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #26
Head Chef

Oops! We were writing at the same time.

Curious though ---- you said: "looked that up but considering it wasn't identified until the early 80's was already too late for me."

What do you mean, too late? You still might have that infection and treatment still might work for you. Maybe you could get rid of those meds you're talking about. Or I may be misunderstanding.

Under NO circumstance am I advising medical treatment! Period.

Just offering some suggestions.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #27
Head Chef

Tarnation! you guys have me jumping all over the internet looking things up!

Prilosec is of the prazole family - which is what I take. Only stronger, not an OTC.

But Hey! keep all those suggestions coming in.... (my doc's gonna hate me when I dump all this on his lap!)
Old 04-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It was relevant to the OP's post.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Curious though ---- you said: "looked that up but considering it wasn't identified until the early 80's was already too late for me."

What do you mean, too late? .
I simply meant that by the mid 70's I had already had my gall bladder removed and no longer suffered from the hideous attacks that sent me off to the ER!

not suffering any more attacks there was no reason to assume there was anything else to look for - especially something not identified for another 7 or 8 years later.

After I was not on any meds, just didn't eat bananas, tomatoes, raspberries nor any super greasy foods and I was fine.... oh yeah and avocados - deadly! It has been close to 40 years and I have never touched an avocado - did love them so! Still haven't had a raspberry either (at least not fresh) I can have a banana, maybe one a month.... love them but... tomatoes are a bit better, I can have about one a week.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #30
Head Chef

t

It was relevant to the OP's post.

Well I mucked this "quote' business up but

It is OK guys - I hijacked my own thread!

Tags
bread