Cookie Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmallette

Assistant Cook
I have been gluten free for a few months so gluten free baking is still new to me. I had some old bananas so I decided to make cookies. I followed a banana cookie recipe but used a store bought gluten free flour (hodgson mill) instead of regular flour. I decided to just bake a few first to see how they were going to turn out. They spread so thin and were more bread like than cookie. I used the remaining mix in muffin tins. They turned out great as muffins! So, any ideas on what went wrong? Do you need to add anything extra when using the gluten free flour?
Thanks!

I don't know.

But I make Passover cookies that we really like, which have no gluten in them. Do you want those recipes ?

Coconut macaroons have no gluten. I think. There's no flour. Ingredients shredded coconut, sugar, egg whites, vanilla extract. Super easy. Is all that stuff gluten free?

Cookies come out more more cake-like when water is mixed into the batter. Look at shortbread, toll-house, sugar, or peanut butter cookies. There is no water in the batter, simply salt, sugar, egg, vanilla, maybe peanut butter, or chocolate chips, flavorings, and flour. Adding water to the batter causes the starches to absorb that water, and soften, giving you the quickbread batter that your recipe probably resembled.

Choose a cookie recipe that doesn't have water in it, or modify the recipe you used, to make it more resemble a shortbread, or sugar cookie recipe. Your cookies will come out gooey, chewey, and with crisp edges, if done right.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Gluten free flour does behave differently. You can add a teaspoon of xanthan gum to a mix which makes it hold up better . There are recipes that are flour free and in particular ground almonds are good in biscuits and cakes instead of flour. People who cannot tolerate gluten cannot have anything with wheat, barley, rye or oats in.

When baking, baking powder too needs to be gluten free. On the whole though cakes usually behave well.

Back
Top Bottom