Easy paleo recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookswithlove

Assistant Cook
I'm interested in trying the paleo diet and came across this list of easy paleo recipes for beginners but would like community input on what other recipes to try before I go grocery shopping. What are some staples of this diet? Have you tried any of those recipes? Which would you recommend?

I have been full paleo and also primal (includes dairy). Right now I'm staying away from pasta, but am eating bread. More of a whole foods/homemade approach.

Paleo staples: safflower oil, coconut oil, spinach, sweet potatoes, hamburger, eggs.

Safflower oil has a higher cook temp and is better than olive oil in that respect. Oils are on the line, but cooking without fat is ridiculous.

Those recipes all try to create bread out of non-bread. I have not played with too much of that, too much engineering for me.

Try eating 1/2 veggie, 1/4 protein, 1/4 fat portions of meals and that hits it pretty well.

? it's a great way to eat, very clean.

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.

I have been full paleo and also primal (includes dairy). Right now I'm staying away from pasta, but am eating bread. More of a whole foods/homemade approach.

Interesting, I didn't know you could do that.

Thanks for the reply, it seems like a healthy diet but sometimes difficult to cook for (just like you said about engineering the bread).

IMO, it's just another fad diet with no special powers and no basis in fact. Your response to Liz illustrates why I get irritated with stuff like this. You can do whatever you want. Cutting out entire food groups and feeling guilty about what you eat is not healthy.

And one of my pet peeves is the idea of "clean" eating. It implies that the rest of us are eating dirty, which is pretty insulting :glare: Talk about succumbing to marketing (from another thread).

IMO, it's just another fad diet with no special powers and no basis in fact. Your response to Liz illustrates why I get irritated with stuff like this. You can do whatever you want. Cutting out entire food groups and feeling guilty about what you eat is not healthy.

And one of my pet peeves is the idea of "clean" eating. It implies that the rest of us are eating dirty, which is pretty insulting :glare: Talk about succumbing to marketing (from another thread).

Pardon me, I said Liz and I meant Jeni.

Good question, Cheryl.

My apologies if what I wrote sounded like an attack on what other people eat. All I was trying to say was, it seems like an interesting diet I'd like to try, and I like to be well prepared if I'm going to try out a new diet so I can stick to it.

My apologies if what I wrote sounded like an attack on what other people eat. All I was trying to say was, it seems like an interesting diet I'd like to try, and I like to be well prepared if I'm going to try out a new diet so I can stick to it.

No need to apologize; it wasn't you. Jeni said it's a very "clean" way to eat. I find it unnecessarily restrictive and I think it contributes to disordered eating (as distinguished from eating disorders - not the same thing).

I think everyone should eat and drink what they want, and call it what they want.

It's perfectly acceptable to examine ones diet and make changes. Sometimes the easiest way to do that is follow parameters laid out by others.

It is also perfectly acceptable to follow no parameters or define ones own.

Food is fun and it can also be nourishing. Some foods are more nourishing than others. This is also specific to the individual.

The word "clean" is a widely used and accepted term which, like many things can be taken offensively, if you choose.

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.

Carb limiting diet plans have been around a very long time, no mater what one calls them, they are the same, with a few tweaks here and there.

The term "eating clean" imo refers to eating free of as much processed foods as one can manage, along with unprocessed high carb foods like potatoes, beans and grains. For a year now, I've been trying to stay under 50g of total carbs per day. I've lost a boat load of weight and feel better than I ever have, but that's just me.

Carb limiting diet plans have been around a very long time, no mater what one calls them, they are the same, with a few tweaks here and there.

The term "eating clean" imo refers to eating free of as much processed foods as one can manage, along with unprocessed high carb foods like potatoes, beans and grains. For a year now, I've been trying to stay under 50g of total carbs per day. I've lost a boat load of weight and feel better than I ever have, but that's just me.

Not just you, K. The same goes for me. If people want to scoff and call it a "weird diet fad," (as someone did on another thread today) that's fine. But limiting carbs has been, quite literally, a life saver for me. I've seen enough benefits to know that I'll never go back to the way I was eating before.

That said, I'm not totally in step with the whole paleo thing because of the way it's usually presented. But at its core the meals are not really all that different from the foods I eat, and I've been able to make a lot of paleo recipes work for me.

Last edited:
Not just you, K. The same goes for me. If people want to scoff and call it a "weird diet fad," (as someone did on another thread today) that's fine. But limiting carbs has been, quite literally, a life saver for me. I've seen enough benefits to know that I'll never go back to the way I was eating before.

That said, I'm not totally in step with the whole paleo thing because of the way it's usually presented. But at its core the meals are not really all that different from the foods I eat, and I've been able to make a lot of paleo recipes work for me.

My point exactly Steve. The one common denominator with whatever one calls whatever low carb plan, is the ban of processed food. I don't know how anyone could call such a plan bizarre.

I think everyone should eat and drink what they want, and call it what they want.

It's perfectly acceptable to examine ones diet and make changes. Sometimes the easiest way to do that is follow parameters laid out by others.

It is also perfectly acceptable to follow no parameters or define ones own.

Food is fun and it can also be nourishing. Some foods are more nourishing than others. This is also specific to the individual.

The word "clean" is a widely used and accepted term which, like many things can be taken offensively, if you choose.

I agree with a lot of that. As I said, I object when people are made to feel guilty for their choices. I also object to the idea that every person responds differently to food. Different groups of people for certain reasons, yes, but people are all human and human beings, by and large, thrive on the same types of food. I have a macro viewpoint here.

Call it what they want? No, I can't agree with that. When people use their own definitions, it leads to misunderstanding and it's impossible to have a reasonable discussion.

And sorry, but "clean eating" is not a "widely used and accepted term." It's pretty new - like, in the last decade - and just a marketing term.

Last edited:

Paleo isn't just about limiting carbs. To do it "right," all your food is supposed to be organic, free-range, grass-fed, pastured, etc. In other words, too expensive and difficult to obtain and prepare for the majority of the population.

Paleo isn't just about limiting carbs. To do it "right," all your food is supposed to be organic, free-range, grass-fed, pastured, etc. In other words, too expensive and difficult to obtain and prepare for the majority of the population.

You are right with that thought GG......as I said, there are tweaks with the whole idea of a low carb diets. It doesn't need to be so "elite" or difficult as with "Paleo". It should be a really easy lifestyle that's easy to live with.
Personally eliminating most processed and high carbohydrate foods from my diet is really very simple even when I can include carbs into the menu for my dear SousChef.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom