"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Gluten Free

Old 06-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Easy paleo recipes

I'm interested in trying the paleo diet and came across this list of easy paleo recipes for beginners but would like community input on what other recipes to try before I go grocery shopping. What are some staples of this diet? Have you tried any of those recipes? Which would you recommend?

Old 06-23-2016, 03:42 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I have been full paleo and also primal (includes dairy). Right now I'm staying away from pasta, but am eating bread. More of a whole foods/homemade approach.

Paleo staples: safflower oil, coconut oil, spinach, sweet potatoes, hamburger, eggs.

Safflower oil has a higher cook temp and is better than olive oil in that respect. Oils are on the line, but cooking without fat is ridiculous.

Those recipes all try to create bread out of non-bread. I have not played with too much of that, too much engineering for me.

Try eating 1/2 veggie, 1/4 protein, 1/4 fat portions of meals and that hits it pretty well.

😊 it's a great way to eat, very clean.

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni78 View Post
I have been full paleo and also primal (includes dairy). Right now I'm staying away from pasta, but am eating bread. More of a whole foods/homemade approach.
Interesting, I didn't know you could do that.

Thanks for the reply, it seems like a healthy diet but sometimes difficult to cook for (just like you said about engineering the bread).
Old 06-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

IMO, it's just another fad diet with no special powers and no basis in fact. Your response to Liz illustrates why I get irritated with stuff like this. You can do whatever you want. Cutting out entire food groups and feeling guilty about what you eat is not healthy.

And one of my pet peeves is the idea of "clean" eating. It implies that the rest of us are eating dirty, which is pretty insulting Talk about succumbing to marketing (from another thread).
Old 06-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #5
Master Chef

cookswithlove.....just wondering if you're affiliated with Home Bistro Blog, since several of your posts link back to that one particular site.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:46 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
IMO, it's just another fad diet with no special powers and no basis in fact. Your response to Liz illustrates why I get irritated with stuff like this. You can do whatever you want. Cutting out entire food groups and feeling guilty about what you eat is not healthy.

And one of my pet peeves is the idea of "clean" eating. It implies that the rest of us are eating dirty, which is pretty insulting Talk about succumbing to marketing (from another thread).
Pardon me, I said Liz and I meant Jeni.

Good question, Cheryl.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:

My apologies if what I wrote sounded like an attack on what other people eat. All I was trying to say was, it seems like an interesting diet I'd like to try, and I like to be well prepared if I'm going to try out a new diet so I can stick to it.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:03 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
cookswithlove.....just wondering if you're affiliated with Home Bistro Blog, since several of your posts link back to that one particular site.
Nope but I have been reading their blog a lot today since a friend recommended it to me.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:03 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Pardon me, I said Liz and I meant Jeni.

Good question, Cheryl.
How can you see people's names?

Edit: figured it out :)
Old 06-23-2016, 06:17 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookswithlove View Post
My apologies if what I wrote sounded like an attack on what other people eat. All I was trying to say was, it seems like an interesting diet I'd like to try, and I like to be well prepared if I'm going to try out a new diet so I can stick to it.
No need to apologize; it wasn't you. Jeni said it's a very "clean" way to eat. I find it unnecessarily restrictive and I think it contributes to disordered eating (as distinguished from eating disorders - not the same thing).

Tags
easy, recipe, recipes