"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Gluten Free
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Fudgy Walnut Cookies, Gluten Free

There is a bakery in my town that has the BEST chewy chocolate and walnut cookies. I finally read the sign over the bakery case and it said they were gluten free - nice because I have a friend who is a celiac and these are nice for dessert with some berries and cream. The cookies sell for $3 each and so I figured I could make them and save a bundle. Not as easy as I had hoped. I tried a number of recipes that looked similar and none were as good - I tweaked the recipe, repeatedly and finally have a great cookie - sharing the chocolate love with you all..
This was the base recipe I started with: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...cookies-350890. it's a pretty famous flourless cookie originally from Francois Payard. Mines Better - I promise. No skipping ingredients.....

This is the improved version:

Oven: 350
Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.

2 1/2 C chopped walnuts
2 oz almond paste, shredded minced or shaved (a box grater works well)
2 1/2 C powdered sugar
3/4 C blended cocoa pwd ( dutched cocoa and unprocessed cocoa)
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 XL egg whites
1 T vanilla extract
4 drops almond extract

• Toast, chop and cool walnuts. Shred or mince almond paste (box grater works well).
• Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in a mixing bowl.
• Toss in walnuts and almond paste.
• In a smaller bowl loosen egg whites with extracts (whisk with a fork).
• Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and stir together with wooden spoon. Mixture will initially be dry and powdery but keep going - it will turn into a thick paste. Once combined, stop! Do not over mix as cookies will become dry after baking. Do not use an electric mixer or whisk.
• Drop batter by the spoonfuls onto baking sheets in evenly spaced mounds and press down to flatten a bit.
• Bake cookies until tops are lightly cracked and glossy, about 15 minutes. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days .

Cookie spread during cooking = 20 percent
Makes 24, 3 inch cookies

Chocolaty, Chewy, FABULOUS!

Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf GF Chocolate cookies 8x8.pdf (60.4 KB, 43 views)

Old 05-06-2019, 11:31 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
There is a bakery in my town that has the BEST chewy chocolate and walnut cookies. I finally read the sign over the bakery case and it said they were gluten free - nice because I have a friend who is a celiac and these are nice for dessert with some berries and cream. The cookies sell for $3 each and so I figured I could make them and save a bundle. Not as easy as I had hoped. I tried a number of recipes that looked similar and none were as good - I tweaked the recipe, repeatedly and finally have a great cookie - sharing the chocolate love with you all..
This was the base recipe I started with: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...cookies-350890. it's a pretty famous flourless cookie originally from Francois Payard. Mines Better - I promise. No skipping ingredients.....

This is the improved version:

Oven: 350
Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.

2 1/2 C chopped walnuts
2 oz almond paste, shredded minced or shaved (a box grater works well)
2 1/2 C powdered sugar
3/4 C blended cocoa pwd ( dutched cocoa and unprocessed cocoa)
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 XL egg whites
1 T vanilla extract
4 drops almond extract

Toast, chop and cool walnuts. Shred or mince almond paste (box grater works well).
Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in a mixing bowl.
Toss in walnuts and almond paste.
In a smaller bowl loosen egg whites with extracts (whisk with a fork).
Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and stir together with wooden spoon. Mixture will initially be dry and powdery but keep going - it will turn into a thick paste. Once combined, stop! Do not over mix as cookies will become dry after baking. Do not use an electric mixer or whisk.
Drop batter by the spoonfuls onto baking sheets in evenly spaced mounds and press down to flatten a bit.
Bake cookies until tops are lightly cracked and glossy, about 15 minutes. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days .

Cookie spread during cooking = 20 percent
Makes 24, 3 inch cookies

Chocolaty, Chewy, FABULOUS!
I tried to take a bite, but my glass screen on my computer got in the way. So tempting.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:55 PM   #3
Head Chef

That looks fantastic! Something that I will definitely have to make.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:28 AM   #4
Cook

It seems very tempting but very difficult to get the final result.

Tags
cook, gluten free, cookies, cookie, free

« Potato pizza | - »